Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Asking 'cause I was looking at buying a stainless Ruger Hawkeye in 243 to fill a gap in my Hawkeye/77MK2 series in 223, 6.5 CM, 308, and 338 FED. The 4 rifles that I have are all bedded in McM Hunter style stocks and since I want all of the rifles to be set up the same way, I would need to source another McM Hunter stock. The catch being that McM no longer inlets for the Rugers. While I could buy a flat top and have it inletted by a third party, that would add a layer of cost to an already expensive stock. I decided to pass on buying the Ruger 243 because of McM's decision to not support Ruger owners.

Without easy access to the stock, the rifle has lost its appeal to me.

Has anyone else run into this barrier?

If so, what did you decide to do?

HR IC

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’ve started looking at Kimbers and Tikkas a lot harder, their factory stocks work great for me.

Nice not to be shopping for a stock right after buying a new rifle.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Whatever McMillan is up to these days certainly doesn't determine if I buy a rifle or not.

Plenty of alternatives to McMillan if restocking is in my future.

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Puddle
Whatever McMillan is up to these days certainly doesn't determine if I buy a rifle or not.

Plenty of alternatives to McMillan if restocking is in my future.

There are only 2 after-market stock styles that I particularly like, the Hunter and Mountain Rifle, both from McM. I have bought a few rifles this year, some new and some old, but none that are going to be bedding in a new McM stock. This was a case where in order for the new 243 to be useful to me, it needed to be set up like the other short action Ruger Hawkeyes and would need to be bedded in a McM Hunter. Since McM has chosen to stop inletting for Rugers, the extra cost of having a third party do the inletting bumped the pirce out of my comfort zone. IOW, the squeeze isn't worth the juice for me in this case.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
To answer the OP question, yes.
I have about 10 McMillans but doubt I’ll ever buy another. Price and lead time are unacceptable.

NRA Patron
IC B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by dale06
I have about 10 McMillans but doubt I’ll ever buy another. Price and lead time are unacceptable.
.... ^^^^^ out priced their product

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
McMillan did away with the stocks I preferred, KS model to be specific. No longer a need nor a customer.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by ldholton
Originally Posted by dale06
.... ^^^^^ out priced their product

I won't be purchasing any more McMillans for the same reasons

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
The new owners are arrogant and condescending, and freaking idiots.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Went through this about a year ago for an HVA barreled action. They could send the stock to a gunsmith partner to inlet... but even for someone with our "problem" the cost was just beyond exorbitant. (McM seemed to be charging about the same for the stock as if *they* were doing the inletting then the smith was going to charge full price for actually *doing* the inletting.)

IC B3

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Has not stopped me from buying a new rifle, but it certainly has stopped me from buying additional McMillan stocks.

Spoke to McMillan a couple of times and decided against buying. frown

YMMV

Arcus Venator
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
No.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Last 2 McMillans I bought, I bought used.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Asking 'cause I was looking at buying a stainless Ruger Hawkeye in 243 to fill a gap in my Hawkeye/77MK2 series in 223, 6.5 CM, 308, and 338 FED. The 4 rifles that I have are all bedded in McM Hunter style stocks and since I want all of the rifles to be set up the same way, I would need to source another McM Hunter stock. The catch being that McM no longer inlets for the Rugers. While I could buy a flat top and have it inletted by a third party, that would add a layer of cost to an already expensive stock. I decided to pass on buying the Ruger 243 because of McM's decision to not support Ruger owners.

Without easy access to the stock, the rifle has lost its appeal to me.

Has anyone else run into this barrier?

If so, what did you decide to do?

I don’t disagree with you but you’re talking about something that isn’t popular. I too like some things that isn’t popular. Here is a couple of thoughts and ideas.

Those rugers work fine as is but in all honesty suck compared to the same rifle in a 700 or clone. Obviously stock options are limited. So are trigger options. The scope mounting system while strong is not very forgiving for different options. All in all you have far greater things to choose from than wanting to customize a Ruger.

So that brings us to the next point. Sometimes their is a reason why some things are not supported or popular. You would be much better off with a 700’ish 6 creedmoor than a ruger 243 anyway. If this is all because you want to collect factory ruger 243’s in McMillan stocks for the heck of it just pay it. It’s not a good investment anyway it’s a toy for you. I’ve done the same but it’s just want not a need or even a great idea.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I recently got some less than stellar CS from McMillan. I chose to buy from another company because I was told it "wasn't worth out time" to answer a few questions.

I need another stock at the moment for another project and they are really the only game in town for what I need. I may give them a call and see if they can help me. If they cannot (or will not), I will have a custom made.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
McMillan has priced themselves out of the market for the common man. I've owned one, and returned it for a refund. I won't buy another, nor would I recommend them. Too many other options out there. Ymmv

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I don’t personally know Bob. I won’t be buying any more mcmillans directly from them. They’re great stocks, but damn gotta draw a line in the sand.

Regards,
Nick- Georgia
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
He's a real douchenozzle.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I had a McMillan on order back in October.
Was quoted 4 months. April made 7 months and was still told it might be finished by May. Told them just to cancel the order.

So much for removing some stocks from the lineup decreasing the wait times. No more for me.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Ky221
I had a McMillan on order back in October.
Was quoted 4 months. April made 7 months and was still told it might be finished by May. Told them just to cancel the order.

So much for removing some stocks from the lineup decreasing the wait times. No more for me.

That is unacceptable.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

305 members (1lesfox, 2500HD, 240NMC, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 21, 27 invisible), 1,880 guests, and 1,109 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,086
Posts18,501,732
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.