Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Tarquin
The other option would be to cut a half-inch off the breech, rechamber, pick up the old gatored threads and cut another half inch of new thread forward of the old ones. That would still give me a 22" long barrel.

While it's possible, there's more to it than that.

1. 'Picking up' on bad threads is never a good idea.
2. Then you have to have your new 'smith stick his reamer in a sketchy chamber. That's been cut before. And with a carbide reamer, to boot.
3. You're going to pay as much to have this done...and likely more...that a new job right from the start on a blank.
4. You're still working with a material that is known to give problems, even when the mfgs. specified procedures are adhered to.

Chasing cosmetics and disregarding function is never a good idea. Yes, it's nice when they both come together. And that starts with choosing a blank.that will let that happen.

If you want a barrel that looks like the threads and chamber were laid in there by the hand of God, you're already behind the 8 ball with a LW blank.

Respectfully, Al

Forbidden Zoner
GB1

T
Tarquin Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
Thank you Butch. I'll leave your name out of it! wink grin Give you a little protection!

Thanks, I need a lot of help with this.

grin

Tarquin
T
Tarquin Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
The other option would be to cut a half-inch off the breech, rechamber, pick up the old gatored threads and cut another half inch of new thread forward of the old ones. That would still give me a 22" long barrel.

While it's possible, there's more to it than that.

1. 'Picking up' on bad threads is never a good idea.
2. Then you have to have your new 'smith stick his reamer in a sketchy chamber That's been cut before. And with a carbide reamer, to boot.
3. You're going to pay as much to have this done...and likely more...that a new job right from the start on a blank.
4. You're still working with a material that is known to give problems, even when the mfgs. specified procedures are adhered to.

Chasing cosmetics and disregarding function is never a good idea. Yes, it's nice when they both come together. And that starts with choosing a blank.that will let that happen.

If you want a barrel that looks like the threads and chamber were laid in there by the hand of God, you're already behind the 8 ball with a LW blank.

Respectfully, Al

Al, I've had dozens of LW-50 barrels chambered and nary a problem till now. I'm holding one as we speak with perfect threads (going on a small Sako).

Tarquin
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That's a long way from salvaging a rough one.

Hope it works out for you, sir.-Al

Forbidden Zoner
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I played with one once. I typically use high sulfur oil cut 50-50 with 1,1,1 trichor. Seems to work.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
LW .17's wear well and I've a herd of same. Hint.............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Worked with a bunch of Walthers. I ran a through the bore oil system and ran at 325 RPM. Walthers are horrible for air hardening so never stop once you start cutting. There are so many great barrels these days, I don’t bother with them anymore. As hard as they are, I can’t say they have any better life than other barrels.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (007FJ, 1lessdog, 1minute, 12344mag, 1936M71, 1Longbow, 61 invisible), 2,215 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,055
Posts18,482,315
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.