Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
[Linked Image from practicalholiness.com]

There isn't a single 'Praise God', 'thank you Lord', 'Please Lord, do this for me' or 'forgive me for my sins' in there. The Lord's prayer is a lesson in how to include each of those things in a prayer. This is a list of 'I believes'. Every word is true but it's not a prayer and not intended to be a prayer.
Hang this on a wall as a reminder of your beliefs and get on with worshipping and praying as the Lord told us to do.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Since becoming Orthodox I say it with morning and evening prayers and hear it every service. It is a constant reminder of what I believe.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Yup, the Apostle's Creed is recited at every Catholic Mass. In fact, we recited it during last evening's Mass.

I've also taught it to folks interested in becoming Catholic during RCIA for many years.

Blessings,

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Why not just pray instead of reciting rote statements of faith?
Commitment

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by CCCC
Originally Posted by bluefish
Tell me why. Catholicism is original Christianity.
I am not asking for a huge historical treatise, so can you give a nutshell explanation of why you say this about the originality?

Because it traces its roots to JC and the Apostles.

The way life should be.
IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Just yesterday, at a funeral for the local feed mill owner.
Methodist church.

Maybe again today, at the funeral for a priest, who was a local, and has been positioned here for many years, now.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
There isn't a single 'Praise God', 'thank you Lord', 'Please Lord, do this for me' or 'forgive me for my sins' in there. The Lord's prayer is a lesson in how to include each of those things in a prayer. This is a list of 'I believes'. Every word is true but it's not a prayer and not intended to be a prayer.
Hang this on a wall as a reminder of your beliefs and get on with worshipping and praying as the Lord told us to do.

It seems as though you are in some kind of hurry to "get on with worshipping and praying as the Lord told us to do." If so, may I suggest that you slow down and still your mind? Okay, it's not a prayer; I don't recall anyone saying that it is. But it seems to me it is a part of worship since it's part of a worship service. Do you object to hymns being sung? I'm not trying to be argumentative here; I truly don't understand why this seems to be such a burr under your saddle.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by CCCC
Tell me why. Catholicism is original Christianity.
I am not asking for a huge historical treatise, so can you give a nutshell explanation of why you say this about the originality?

Because it traces its roots to JC and the Apostles.

Not intended to bash Catholics but the first Christian Church was the Orthodox Church. The Catholic Church split in 1054. Wording of the Creed was one of the reasons of the split.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I believe the God who knows all things gave us all we need in the New Testament. Man, in all his wisdom thought he could improve on God’s plan for our Salvation! Many of these ideas are inspired by Satan, “the father of lies”.
Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by There_Ya_Go

It seems as though you are in some kind of hurry to "get on with worshipping and praying as the Lord told us to do." If so, may I suggest that you slow down and still your mind? Okay, it's not a prayer; I don't recall anyone saying that it is. But it seems to me it is a part of worship since it's part of a worship service. Do you object to hymns being sung? I'm not trying to be argumentative here; I truly don't understand why this seems to be such a burr under your saddle.

American Evangelicalism is saturated in militant individualistic sentimentalism and pragmatism.

You see this in everything from their trivializing of the sacraments and aspects of the liturgy, such as creedal recitation, meant to build our sense of what we have in common; even their incessant use of I/me vs we/us in songs.

It’s about me and my feelings not about old fashioned outdated ideas like dogma and tradition.

And many wonder why the American church is in a state of free fall.

IC B3

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
It is such practices as recitation of the Creeds that demonstrate that salvation is more about God than man.

We naturally find that to be offensive.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
If you've never heard this, crank it up:

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Thanks for the Third Day vid. Haven’t listened to them in years. Love the tribute to Rich Mullins.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I came across this while reading this morning. I offer it for your consideration on the purpose and usefulness of creeds and confessions.

Gehard O Forde
Where God Meets Man
Chapter 7. The Church and the Charter of Freedom

...A confession is something rather different from a dogma declared by the church to be necessary for getting into heaven. A confession is something that one makes willingly because he wants to take his stand for or against something, with or against a given group. To subscribe to a confession in that sense is willingly to take one's place within a family of churches, to takes one's stand and make one's witness in that fashion. Confession is not a means whereby the church legislates what has to be done or believed to be saved. It is rather a means whereby the church on earth makes known it's witness, and by such witness draws boundaries between itself and the world, and between itself and other empirical churches.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by IZH27
I like to consider this from the perspective that where two or three are gathered together in the name of God he is there.
Some of the benefits of reciting the creed:

As someone else noted, I am adding my voice to voice of other Christians through the centuries, and in the present day, who are reciting and confessing the same truths.

Before God, I am confessing that I believe these things to be true.

As I confess these things with the local church body, we, in unison, are confessing that these things are true, and that these things govern our relationship with God.

As we confess these truths, in the holy service, where God has promised to be present, we are continually renewing our commitment to to God and the Christian faith through our confession.

Since God has promised to be there, and we are confessing him within his presence, something beyond our comprehension is occurring through his presence, and the means of our confessing truth.

There are quite a few scriptures that speak directly to what we can discuss with our lips.

This verse is commonly taken out of context. Jesus said it in relation to conflicts between believers. If it applied all the time, would Jesus not be there when you're alone? Do you have to go find a couple other believers before Jesus will be there?

Mat 18:15 If your brother sins against you, go and tell him his fault, between you and him alone. If he listens to you, you have gained your brother.16 But if he does not listen, take one or two others along with you, that every charge may be established by the evidence of two or three witnesses. 17 If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church. And if he refuses to listen even to the church, let him be to you as a Gentile and a tax collector. 18 Truly, I say to you, whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven. 19 Again I say to you, if two of you agree on earth about anything they ask, it will be done for them by my Father in heaven. 20 For where two or three are gathered in my name, there am I among them.”

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Your reasoning does nothing to alter the reality contained in that post. For clarification I refer you to the words of Mr Forde quoted above.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Our church did a 3-4 week series on it last year.

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I have not heard it in Church for maybe thirty years. You?[Linked Image from practicalholiness.com]
This is the one I learned:
I believe in God,
the Father almighty,
Creator of heaven and earth,
and in Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord,
who was conceived by the Holy Spirit,
born of the Virgin Mary,
suffered under Pontius Pilate,
was crucified, died and was buried;
he descended into hell;
on the third day he rose again from the dead;
he ascended into heaven,
and is seated at the right hand of God the Father almighty;
from there he will come to judge the living and the dead.

I believe in the Holy Spirit,
the holy catholic Church,
the communion of saints,
the forgiveness of sins,
the resurrection of the body,
and life everlasting.

Amen.

Pershing 1A. No city too big, no populated area too small. We even get the roaches.
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
Thanks good folks.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
And.[Linked Image from printablee.com]

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (1OntarioJim, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 160user, 65 invisible), 2,473 guests, and 1,351 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,189
Posts18,484,895
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.