Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
N
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Thinking about buying a hvy barrel with the new trigger .how accurate are they also, how is savages quality
thanks much

HR IC

DFC Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Savage rifles are not for the snob, that said, and because I own at least three or more Savage rifles, I think they are the best bang for the buck going. They shoot as well or better than rifles costing twice as much. The action works flawlessly. The new trigger is the best in the industry.

Dan

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
aye.

abiding in Him,

><>fish30ought6<><
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought a new Savage fvss in 270 WSM with some mad money a couple of months ago. I have other rifles that shoot well but a buddy got a Savage M 10 in 223 and said it was the most accurate rifle that he ever had (he only has had standard rifles and never a target or 40X). I have a custom 270 WSM in the works so I ordered the afformentioned Savage for the fun of it as the dies and stuff are already here.

My mistake was that I ordered it from the Savage on line catalog and had never seen a new SS Savage. I am used to fine old M 70's, High Walls etc. Long ago I got rid of the Remington 722's and 700's as they just don't cut it looks wise and for other reasons. I you work at it a good looking smooth functioning rifle will shoot just as well as any other. It does not have to be ugly or clunky to shoot.

So the Savage came on order new in the box and I noticed unnecessary crude machining cuts on the receiver. This was the kind of work that is done in a high school class where they don't get to throw the steel out and start over. Also the "free floated" was almost touching the stock on one side and had a 3/16 gap on the other.

When I got it home I ran a patch thru the bore and the tops of the lands were very dark. A thread from a patch caught on the top of a land. I have a bore scope and I saw this clear as the day is long.

When I shot it with factory WW 150 gr Power Point ammo the bolt was difficult to lift in the initial effort. This means that the load is too hot or the rifle is made wrong. When I got this back to the bench I noticed that the heads of the cases had expanded .003". Now .001" is considered too hot a load. Also the velocity of those factory loads was 3223 fps which is faster than the published data for the 270 Weatherby!

So I took the rifle back to the dealer with a letter mentioning the stock not fitting, the dark lands, the poor groups (1.5 moa) and the hard bolt lift.

The rifle came back with a check sheet and a target. They polished the chamber and replaced the extractor. Now this has nothing at all to do with intital bolt lift! Nothing! It's hard extraction caused by a rough chamber that causes hard bolt lift after the bolt is lifted and hits the cams! In other words they cannot read or don't understand what the various bolt lift problems even mean!

Now handsome is as a handsome does for some but when you look at this gun in bright SS all of the rough work shows up and it does not on the flat black models.

So I brought this rifle to a dealer and got $305 store credit for it. This was a $220 loss and all my fault. I say I can afford it and I can but when I am wrong I admit it. I should have looked at the Savages closer.

To be frank I have knocked the Remingtons here for good reason but I would take one over a Savage any day for my taste.

To placate my lust for new guns and challanges I just aquired a 1949 FN Mauser in 270 Win. I knew this rifle had some problems but it shot well. Now I have had the fun of correcting them. What a beautiful rifle. You should see the checkering on the stock and the careful machine work. This gun shoots 1/2 MOA when it's cool but does have the slow Mauser lock time, poor trigger design and safety.

As we used to say but can't anymore "pretty girls mistakes are never bad"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
there are dogs that won't hunt in every pack.

abiding in Him,

><>fish30ought6<><
IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

527 members (10Glocks, 1Longbow, 160user, 1936M71, 007FJ, 1badf350, 62 invisible), 2,411 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,442
Posts18,489,508
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.