E
ewc Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Damned timing !

Betting Cash, could answer this !

Why??? Problems were addressed in replys 2,3, and 4. With the definitive answer in post 4 from me.

But whatever- Someone always has a better answer here๐Ÿ˜‚

GB4

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Put a working cupula, a good ridge vent, or some turbines in the roof. Let that air pressure out

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ewc
Damned timing !

Why??? Problems were addressed in replys 2,3, and 4. With the definitive answer in post 4 from me.

Don't get ya panties in a wad, Nancy !

Not being a structural engineer, how in the fuct would I know that you had, possibly given the definitive answer ?

As to my above post, I know because he & I traded favours. I helped him with some auto stuff & he helped me with some load bearing & shear construction stuff.

Get over yourself, tool !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by ewc
Damned timing !

You were Post #5
Pretty good answer.
Pier footings for the posts would be the way.
Tube steel columns are nice but could be done with 6x6 wood posts for the size of the structure.

Simpson CB66 type cast in place post bases and through-bolted to posts.
[Linked Image from cascadeconcreteaccessories.com]

Then the same class of hardware for the overhead work :
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Then Hurricane clips for all the rafters to complete the Continuous Load Path all the way up the structure.
H1 clip is a nice clip
[Linked Image from cdn.shopify.com]

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You're both wrong.

The OP merely asked for mathematical formulas to help strengthen his view point with his grandson.

The OP isn't doing the construction.

My sarcasm in referencing wings and airplanes may have inadvertently lead him to the information he needed to inforce his stance.

Originally Posted by Okanagan
Thanks for the feedback.

It has been a curious exercise. Airplane engineers post such statements as,โ€...a 747 wing can generate one pound of lift per square inch.โ€ That is clear, useful info, and obviously over simplified. Roof engineers apparently cannot bring themselves to compose a parallel sentence such as , โ€œA 4/12 shed roof with a 50mph wind at 90 degrees to the ridgeline can generate x pounds of lift per square x.โ€

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by JeffA
You're both wrong.

The OP merely asked for mathematical formulas to help strengthen his view point with his grandson.

The OP isn't doing the construction.

My sarcasm in referencing wings and airplanes may have inadvertently lead him to the information he needed to inforce his stance.

Thanks for the feedback.

It has been a curious exercise. Airplane engineers post such statements as,โ€...a 747 wing can generate one pound of lift per square inch.โ€ That is clear, useful info, and obviously over simplified. Roof engineers apparently cannot bring themselves to compose a parallel sentence such as , โ€œA 4/12 shed roof with a 50mph wind at 90 degrees to the ridgeline can generate x pounds of lift per square x.โ€

OK hero, put up the formula.

wink

Last edited by Direct_Drive; 05/09/23.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Dig holes and put in the ground with concrete. Then get hurricane clips to attach each rafter or truss to the beam. Sounds like a problem if you bolt the posts to paving stones

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Have you emailed a company that sells building fasteners? Simpson strong tie perhaps

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Direct_Drive

wink

a 747 wing can generate one pound of lift per square inch.

12x24 roof @ 4/12 pitch = roughly 300sf.

300sf = 3600 square inches.

3600 square inchs = 3600lbs of potential lift.

How much lift can your recommend Simpson H1 clip bare?*

* 363lb

E
ewc Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by ewc
Damned timing !

Not being a structural engineer, how in the fuct would I know that you had, possibly given the definitive answer ?

As to my above post, I know because he & I traded favours. I helped him with some auto stuff & he helped me with some load bearing & shear construction stuff.

Youโ€™re a diipsheit. Iโ€™ve been doing this for 26 years. However, I had my 23 year old Civil Engineer daughter run calculations for local codes and she said I was overkill by 1/3 yard per pier.

No one on this website can answer the question with precisely the exact answer. Wanna know why dummy?

OP didnโ€™t provide where he lives and his design criteria- which shouldโ€™ve included IBC Building Code, reactions on each column, seismic stability factors, wind speed design, collateral loads, and location factor correction values.

All of which I knew to ask, but Emma (23) wanted you to know Karen.

Go dig his piers with his dumbass grandson dippy.

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by ewc
Originally Posted by ewc
Damned timing !

Youโ€™re a diipsheit. Iโ€™ve been doing this for 26 years. However, I had my 23 year old Civil Engineer daughter run calculations for local codes and she said I was overkill by 1/3 yard per pier.

No one on this website can answer the question with precisely the exact answer. Wanna know why dummy?

OP didnโ€™t provide where he lives and his design criteria- which shouldโ€™ve included IBC Building Code, reactions on each column, seismic stability factors, wind speed design, collateral loads, and location factor correction values.

LOL

I would appreciate it if the 2 diipsheit diggers could "neat dig" the piers so we don't have to do a bunch of formwork.

smile

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by ewc
Damned timing !

You were Post #5
Pretty good answer.
Pier footings for the posts would be the way.
Tube steel columns are nice but could be done with 6x6 wood posts for the size of the structure.

Simpson CB66 type cast in place post bases and through-bolted to posts.
[Linked Image from cascadeconcreteaccessories.com]

Then the same class of hardware for the overhead work :

Then Hurricane clips for all the rafters to complete the Continuous Load Path all the way up the structure.
H1 clip is a nice clip
[Linked Image from cdn.shopify.com]

Great pics and advice, DirectDrive.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ewc
Originally Posted by ewc
Damned timing !

You'll notice, if you read either or both of my replies, that I did not imply any knowledge, what so ever.

I only offered a potential solution !

Say hi & thank you, to your daughter.

Have a nice day, arsehole.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
How much lift is there on a 12x24 foot 4/12 pitch roof 10โ€™ 2โ€ feet high at the ridge line, in 40, 50 and 60 mph wind? A rough approximate will be more accurate than my guesses.

We are putting up a 12x24 foot roof over a patio. It is hefty wooden posts bolted to a floor of unsecured paving bricks, with a wooden rafter frame and metal roof sheeting. No walls. I am concerned about damage from windfoil lift effect. I saw wind lift the entire roof of a big 40x100 foot hay shed.

On the hay shed, the medium pitch A shaped roof lifted in one unit, like an airplane wing. It flew 25 yards to one side and set down with surprisingly little damage. It was bolted to the tops of telephone poles, but that was not strong enough to hold it down. The main damage was from twisting as it landed.

My grandson thinks I am nuts to be concerned. I have tried online and find only engineering outfits who will calculate lift if you hire them, and a few free sites with complex mathematics and symbols I don't know for input. However, my bumbling calculations so far indicate that the uplift force could range from several hundred to several thousand pounds.

Iโ€™m also researching air flow spoilers to kill the lift, however much it is.

I do this for a living. Licensed PE. There isn't a place in our lower 48 that has a design wind load of only 60mph - and there's no need to design to a lesser load. Use worst case loading. I think the lowest is 90mph...and that depends on what code you are using. Generally we use what's called a 3-second gust value and most design loads are 3-sec gust values. The basic wind pressure formula is 0.00256 x (wind speed in mph)^2. So a 90mph wind has a pressure of about 20.7psf. The exact wind calcs are PIA (which is why no one will do them for free) and the pressures/uplifts vary on different parts of the roof, e.g. corners, edges, center. Suffice to say, if you use 30psf as your uplift value, that should cover about 90% of the USA's wind loads and roof designs.

That uplift load is distributed based on tributary area of the structural elements. I don't know your rafter spacing, but assuming four equally spaced posts, you'll have 2160lbs. of uplift at each post. (288sqft x 30psf) / 4 = 2160lbs. Concrete is 150lbs/ft^3 so you'll need 14.4 cubic feet of concrete at each corner and a bracket at the top and bottom of each post that is good for 2160lbs. in tension.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Mountain10MM,
THANK YOU!

Yours is the first and only reply to what I was asking though others provided good info about other factors. I did not expect a precise calculation, just a ball park figure from a knowledgeable person to give us a idea of the force we are dealing with. By this time my main interest is pure curiosity at how much lift the airfoil shape of a gable roof with no walls can produce. You nailed it, in plain English.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
You are welcome Okanagan.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

wink

a 747 wing can generate one pound of lift per square inch.

12x24 roof @ 4/12 pitch = roughly 300sf.

300sf = 3600 square inches.

3600 square inchs = 3600lbs of potential lift.

How much lift can your recommend Simpson H1 clip bare?*

* 363lb
I hope you're not employed in a position that requires much in the way of math skills. Your calculation is off by a factor of 12. There are 144 square inches in a square foot, not 12. The correct product of the equation is 43,200 square inches, not 3600 square inches. It does make a difference.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BangPop
I hope you're not employed in a position that requires much in the way of math skills. Your calculation is off by a factor of 12. There are 144 square inches in a square foot, not 12. The correct product of the equation is 43,200 square inches, not 3600 square inches. It does make a difference.

Sorry if the intended humor of my replying to a question that was asked with the OPs early findings went over your head.
It was asked with a wink and a smile and replied to likewise.
wink

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm
How much lift is there on a 12x24 foot 4/12 pitch roof 10โ€™ 2โ€ feet high at the ridge line, in 40, 50 and 60 mph wind? A rough approximate will be more accurate than my guesses.

We are putting up a 12x24 foot roof over a patio. It is hefty wooden posts bolted to a floor of unsecured paving bricks, with a wooden rafter frame and metal roof sheeting. No walls. I am concerned about damage from windfoil lift effect. I saw wind lift the entire roof of a big 40x100 foot hay shed.

On the hay shed, the medium pitch A shaped roof lifted in one unit, like an airplane wing. It flew 25 yards to one side and set down with surprisingly little damage. It was bolted to the tops of telephone poles, but that was not strong enough to hold it down. The main damage was from twisting as it landed.

My grandson thinks I am nuts to be concerned. I have tried online and find only engineering outfits who will calculate lift if you hire them, and a few free sites with complex mathematics and symbols I don't know for input. However, my bumbling calculations so far indicate that the uplift force could range from several hundred to several thousand pounds.

Iโ€™m also researching air flow spoilers to kill the lift, however much it is.

I do this for a living. Licensed PE. There isn't a place in our lower 48 that has a design wind load of only 60mph - and there's no need to design to a lesser load. Use worst case loading. I think the lowest is 90mph...and that depends on what code you are using. Generally we use what's called a 3-second gust value and most design loads are 3-sec gust values. The basic wind pressure formula is 0.00256 x (wind speed in mph)^2. So a 90mph wind has a pressure of about 20.7psf. The exact wind calcs are PIA (which is why no one will do them for free) and the pressures/uplifts vary on different parts of the roof, e.g. corners, edges, center. Suffice to say, if you use 30psf as your uplift value, that should cover about 90% of the USA's wind loads and roof designs.

That uplift load is distributed based on tributary area of the structural elements. I don't know your rafter spacing, but assuming four equally spaced posts, you'll have 2160lbs. of uplift at each post. (288sqft x 30psf) / 4 = 2160lbs. Concrete is 150lbs/ft^3 so you'll need 14.4 cubic feet of concrete at each corner and a bracket at the top and bottom of each post that is good for 2160lbs. in tension.

Good info, but would probably be worth a few hundred bucks to have a local structural engineer analyze and provide details for your patio cover. While at it he could analyze shear, diaphragm, verify any beams, columns, connections, post sizes, etc. Do it right once and don't worry about it again.

Last edited by centershot; 05/10/23.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by BangPop

Sorry if the intended humor of my replying to a question that was asked with the OPs early findings went over your head.
It was asked with a wink and a smile and replied to likewise.
wink

Nice try at deflecting. It didnโ€™t work any better than your calculator.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

60 members (BALLISTIK, BamaJoe, Anaconda, 300_savage, 8 invisible), 1,208 guests, and 887 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,995
Posts18,481,141
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.