Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Anyone used the current crop of Speer Grand Slams? Specifically .284 and .308 diameters.

Wondering about terminal performance on larger/tougher critters such as elk & bear.

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Gunner has been sticking a few into water jugs at some pretty extreme speeds and they look to be holding up pretty well. I wouldn’t be scared of using one in an appropriate rate for the cartridge being used. Price isn’t bad lately on them either.

Semper Fi
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Shoot quite of few of them, .264"/140 gr./6.5x55mm and .277"/150 gr./.270Win.

Muzzle velocities at ~ 2700 and 2800 fps, respectively.

Good precision, performance, and usually a pass-through, w/ good exit wound.

My workhorse bullet for both cartridges.

For an expensive hunt, or at considerably higher velocity, might go w/ a little better bullet, like a Partition or TSX.

GR

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by beretzs
Gunner has been sticking a few into water jugs at some pretty extreme speeds and they look to be holding up pretty well. I wouldn’t be scared of using one in an appropriate rate for the cartridge being used. Price isn’t bad lately on them either.

Have mentioned this before, but in my experience shooting water jugs is one of the least reliable ways to test big game bullets for reliability on big game larger than deer. Though it's a lot of fun!

Would also note that just about any cup-and-core bullet works well (especially on deer-sized game) at muzzle velocities no faster than 2800 fps.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I recently picked up some of these in 160 gr for my 7mm Rem Mag. I normally shoot either Partitions or Accubonds in 160 gr but am having a hard time finding them. Curious to see how they group and work.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
MD,

Do you have any personal experience with the new production Speer GS? Do you have an opinion on how they compare with other bonded controlled expansion bullets?

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Wildcatter,

I basically gave up on Grand Slams when the third version appeared, which was a while back. Essentially it was another version of the Mag Tip, without any of the features that made the second (improved) version appeared, such as the two-part core, with harder lead alloy in the rear.

I tested five of the third version in dry newspaper, my standard test media for "premium" big game bullets. They were 200-grain 30s started at 2900+ fps from a .300 Winchester Magnum. Three of the five worked well. The other two lost their cores, and penetrated poorly. There was no way to tell which version you bought, since they all came in the same plastic box--and I wasn't going to re-test every batch of Grand Slams before going hunting. I was already weary of re-testing Grand Slams.

Maybe the latest version works as well as the second generation, which was great. But with all the various "premium" big game bullets available today, I simply don't care anymore.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Thanks, John, very useful information.

Based on your experience, I'll stick with Nosler PT, Swift AFs and Barnes TTSXs for heavier game and Hornady ILs for deer class game. These have worked well for me and it doesn't sound as if the Speer GSs are a good reason to change.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Wildcatter264
Thanks, John, very useful information.

Based on your experience, I'll stick with Nosler PT, Swift AFs and Barnes TTSXs for heavier game and Hornady ILs for deer class game. These have worked well for me and it doesn't sound as if the Speer GSs are a good reason to change.

For a 21¢ bullet, the Speer GS is great for practice and has killed a pile of game.

GR

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Garandimal
For a 21¢ bullet, the Speer GS...

GR

Where are you finding them for that price?

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M

Be very, very careful……using water jugs in this crowd is thought to be blasphemy! Any respect and integrity established is now destroyed! 😉 😂 memtb

Last edited by memtb; 05/16/23.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by memtb

Be very, very careful……using water jugs in this crowd is thought to be blasphemy! Any respect and integrity established is now destroyed! 😉 😂 memtb

I hear that! grin

Semper Fi
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I wouldn't call it blasphemy, but I would describe its relevance as over estimated by its practitioners.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’ve only used “Hot Core” SPEER bullets lately if I’m using SPEER at all. I used Grandslams when they first came out and never tried them again. I had a 280 that only shot heavy SPEER Mag tips well, better than any other bullet that I tried.
Those hot cores I shot was 250 grain out of a 350 RM. certainly not a tough application.
I wish SPEER well, it seemed to me that they were the only 25 caliber bullets that I could buy a while back.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BobbyTomek
Originally Posted by Garandimal
For a 21¢ bullet, the Speer GS...

GR

Where are you finding them for that price?

They had a big factory rebate a while back, before the Communist coup.

Stocked'em high 'n deep.

Still, a lot less than premium - and will do most of what they do.

GR

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Don't know what generation these 375's are,but they come with a pretty extensive list of how their made with a 5% antimony base. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I like the line they put in that makes you want to believe they’re a bonded bullet, a rumor that still won’t die.
“The HotCore process produces a high level of adhesion between the jacket and core.”

Pure salesmanship.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by sqweeler
Don't know what generation these 375's are,but they come with a pretty extensive list of how their made with a 5% antimony base. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Those are earlier Gen., dual core Grand Slams.

GR

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TheKid
I like the line they put in that makes you want to believe they’re a bonded bullet, a rumor that still won’t die.
“The HotCore process produces a high level of adhesion between the jacket and core.”

Pure salesmanship.

As opposed to a lubricated slug?

Adhesion and bonding are different words, w/ different meanings.

They only used one of them.

So who's the salesman?

GR

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
The foam that they sat on stuck to the bullets,so I assumed they were old. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (16penny, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1234, 160user, 17CalFan, 57 invisible), 1,884 guests, and 1,091 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,876
Posts18,497,684
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.