Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Hello guys, I used to bow hunt many years ago, shot a Jennings Buckmaster. Since then, life changes and age, I feel the urge toget a cross bow, Been asking friends and people about the, and figured I'd get input from here:

1: Ways to "quiet" a crossbow? I've heard they are noisy, so what are some tricks?

2: Aluminum bolts? I have a BUNCH of 2216 arrows from MANY years ago, I'm sure they'll have to be refletched (hobby and a project) and cut to 20 " (?).
Aside from that is there any reason I couldn't re-purpose them?

I remember when I was shooting arrows were a minimum of 7 grains per pound of draw weight, and even then, the bow were loud, I went to a heavier arrow and it helped immensely. Should I go with a heavier arrow or a heavier tip/point/head?

What are your thoughts??

And these zombies line up and eat from the media’s trough

Cowards CANNOT be free. Nor should they be.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have a Ravin R26 and went with the heavier Ravin arrows/bolts for the same reason. Didn't matter though... thing still sounds like a rifle shot. But man, does it get there quick! And I do like a heavier projectile. I think most crossbow arrows/bolts are a larger diameter?, not sure if that will affect you or not. Also tried dampners that go in the limbs, if they help, it's not very noticable.

Last edited by DeanAnderson; 05/12/23.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Some crossbows are quieter than others, best to visit a shop with multiple models to try. There are a variety of products on the market that purportedly help quiet them down, but I've found using a heavier arrow helps dampen the shot most. I don't think you can ever get them quiet enough that the deer won't hear or react to the shot. I use one of the louder bows on the market, Excalibur micro, and I haven't had a deer duck the arrow yet. As far as using your 2216 shafts, maybe? I think it will depend on the how long of bolt you bow calls for and the draw weight. Could always try a few to find out. I used to use 20" 2219s in an older Ten Point compound without issue.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
#1 - No. I've never seen a problem with the noise. Don't sweat it and go kill some deer.

#2 - Aluminum arrows suck. They're heavier and slow the FPS. They also bend and then they won't fly straight. Just buy some 20" 400gr bolts. Don't sweat it and go kill some deer.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by StoneCutter
#1 - No. I've never seen a problem with the noise. Don't sweat it and go kill some deer.

#2 - Aluminum arrows suck. They're heavier and slow the FPS. They also bend and then they won't fly straight. Just buy some 20" 400gr bolts. Don't sweat it and go kill some deer.

^^^^This^^^^

I use 125gr broadheads with 400gr bolts

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by StoneCutter

Yep.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've hunted and killed deer with two different xbows. Both were Barnett brand.

I admit that I like the one I have now really well. It's a recruit. To be honest, it's more of a youth or female sized bow, but I like that. Easy to carry, and I really appreciate the narrow width of the limbs and the lighter weight of my old wildcat. I did have to add two pieces of aluminum bar around 1/4" diameter to extend the stock out further and enough for me to be able to shoulder it well. But that was simple.

It shoots around 320 fps and have had complete pass-throughs at 20 or 25 yards and neither deer went more than about 20 yards before falling over.

I will also admit that I like aluminum arrows. I don't like or trust carbon fiber arrows. Seen too many horror stories of folks in the E.R. waiting for the surgeon to come get the broken arrows out of their wrists and hands and arms. So, aluminum bolts only for me.

I also am a big fan or rage arrowheads.

As for noise, unless you're shooting at very long ranges, I don't think you'll have any problems at all with a deer jumping the arrow.

Most bows these days shoot even faster than my old one. I can serve as an example that even as low as 320 fps is more than adequate for whitetail.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
#1 - try before you buy, and see what sounds quiet to you. Adding weight to the bolt helps 99% of the time, and there are other devices that help with noise.

#2 - would strongly suggest that the vertical bow arrows not be used. Your draw weight on your Buckmaster was probably 70 pounds tops. Nearly all crossbows start at 150# draw weight and up - even cut short - those type of aluminum arrows arent spined for the increased weight.

Second issue to solve - crossbow bolts don’t “nock” on the string like an arrow. Crossbows by brand use typically one of three types of nocks - Flat (Excalibur), Textured (Ten Point / Parker), or a Half Moon (Ten Point and others) Your aluminum shafts have an extruded point with the current nock, that has to come off as well. The crossbow nocks are seated in the shaft.

By the time you buy nocks, vanes and refletch - a few cross bolts will most likely be cheaper. YMMV

Last edited by AH64guy; 05/12/23.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I also used 20" 2219s in a 10 point Xbow. Iv owned 3 different Excaliburs great bows. But my buddy got me hooked on the Ravin R10, unreal big difference, have to see to belive it!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Choose the bow you want and can afford. Some of the best run serious money. After that, shoot the bolts that come with it or those recommended by the manufacturer. They are tremendously effective at reasonable ranges.

IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Thanks everyone for the replies

And these zombies line up and eat from the media’s trough

Cowards CANNOT be free. Nor should they be.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I have a Scorpyd Deathstalker, it is one of the quietest Xbows out there by a very large margin. I never used silencers on it(waste of money) and use Black Eagle Arrows which are 465 grains all up . It is rated for 420 with light arrows so it is a good compromise.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Most modern crossbows shoot fast enough to hit the deer before it can duck within 30 yards.
I shoot the bolts that the manufacturer recommends and sells for my xbow.
They are aluminum.
I have an excalibur and it is loud.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I'm firmly in the Excalibur camp. Being recurves you can do all your own maintenance. No need for a bow press. Need to replace your string - No problem. You can even replace the limbs yourself if the need should arise. Excalibur customer service is also very good. I've been using my Excalibur Xbow since 1997. Never had a problem with a deer jumping the string but I normally don't shoot past 30 yds.

Excalibur customer service is also very good.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The only way to quiet a crossbow is to throw it in the garbage.

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
I also shoot an Excaliber. Mine is a Grizzley. It shoots consistently 305 FPS. I shoot carbon bolts that Excaliber recommended and a 150 grain Slick Trick broadhead. Kills deer really well. It also didn't cost over $1000 like a Ravin and the Scorpyed mentioned. Not saying they aren't good weapons but I can do most repairs in the field and for a recurve its fairly quiet compared to other bows and dead is dead. I don't need 400 FPS or a bow that shoots 100yds. Bow hunting is up close and personal not long range hunting. I save that for a rifle.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have a Skorpyd that I bought when the guy who developed them was selling them out of his garage. Still a fast, dependable and fairly quiet bow. I see no reason to change.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Biebs
I have a Skorpyd that I bought when the guy who developed them was selling them out of his garage. Still a fast, dependable and fairly quiet bow. I see no reason to change.

Smart Man....Super quiet, easy to change the bow string and the limbs are no stressed like other Xbows.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
The only way to quiet a crossbow is to throw it in the garbage.
Ha ha ha ha….I have an Excalibur and there are days when this is an overwhelming truth.

I can understand the desire to make it quiet as possible, but I've stepped away from such attempts because everything that I’ve found to quiet a bow adds weight and/or slows down the string.

If the concern is travel time, I have yet to see one jump the string. If the concern is courtesy for fellow hunters, then the downed deer thrashing on the ground, as well as the other ones snorting and crashing through the trees/brush will probably cause more of a rucus than the bow. Branches fall all the time. I’ve actually been ghillied up in ASAT and had turkeys allow me to reload.

“When debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser.”
- Socrates
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Keep in mind most crossbows have a lifespan. Shoot only as many times as you need to be confident in your zero then shelf the bow until you hunt. I have a Barnett but I'm saving up for an Excalibur.

Medics bury their mistakes..

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

350 members (204guy, 12344mag, 16gage, 1lessdog, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 41 invisible), 2,534 guests, and 1,279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,497
Posts18,490,467
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.