-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Very unfortunate that the coach would teach this and that the catcher would do it.

Not sure what the point was…

Black Cows Matter!

K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
Another reason why hockey is such a great sport. Cheap shots are often rewarded with a tune up from the teams' enforcer. Usually followed by some time in the penalty box so everyone can think about what they've done. And hopefully some stitches applied in the dressing room as well.

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by KSMITH
Meh, it looked intentional but the theory is sound. I don't know what girls softball rules are but there was a runner on 2nd making a jump for 3rd. She has the right to make the throw. The batter may have been trying to impeded the throw if if stealing bases is legal in softball. I think a smart person could have read the situation and got the fawk out of the batters box knowing that throw was likely to happen. If not, she was interfering on purpose. MLB players bail out of the box when a runner may be trying to get to 3rd.

I pitched and played 2nd since I was a kid. If I fielded the ball at 2nd, runners were in the way for the throw to first and usually caused you to make a bad throw. The onus is on the runner to get out of the way or take a baseball to the face during the play. I mowed down a guy or 2 who wanted to stay on the baseline and then word got out that my throws were going straight down the baseline and dudes either ran off the baseline or got real low.

Competition....

I played third base but we were taught the same, especially on runners who habitually came in high or spikes up. This was the late ‘60s long before there was a rule about calling the runner out for breaking up the DP.That was an assumed role as the runner. We also didn’t have full helmets; they were just batting caps so to speak.

One afternoon a runner decided to get in the way of the throw from our shortstop and WHACK! With his normal sidearm throw, the ball hit the runner right in the logo on the front of his batting helmet. Knocked him out cold and the ball ended up in the bleachers along the first base line. 😳

Last edited by navlav8r; 05/12/23.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A couple of posters here seem focus on how tough and nasty they would be as players in different situations, but the rules/requirements/conventions that apply here also have been posted. None of the whacking was the fault of the batter.

Up above, a former gamer posted what I think is the most telling comment in the thread: "played catcher for 4 years in high school and another 4 years in college. If I or anyone else had ever done that to a batter there would have been a brawl at home plate."

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Heym06
Runner on second heading to third, batter interference? Coaches need to have batters step back, not in the base line, where the throw is going. Bad coaching! Or players trying to interfere, hoping to get away with it, while Sally steals third. My observation.

Your observation is somewhat correct. This could cause loss of an eye or teeth of a young girl, however. The coach and catcher should be out of the league, and the coach fired. Any decent coach would be all over the umpires, not trying to harm a young kid.

TV has become nothing more than the Petri dish where this country grows its idiots.
IC B2

B
BLG Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Meh, it looked intentional but the theory is sound. I don't know what girls softball rules are but there was a runner on 2nd making a jump for 3rd. She has the right to make the throw. The batter may have been trying to impeded the throw if if stealing bases is legal in softball. I think a smart person could have read the situation and got the fawk out of the batters box knowing that throw was likely to happen. If not, she was interfering on purpose. MLB players bail out of the box when a runner may be trying to get to 3rd.

I pitched and played 2nd since I was a kid. If I fielded the ball at 2nd, runners were in the way for the throw to first and usually caused you to make a bad throw. The onus is on the runner to get out of the way or take a baseball to the face during the play. I mowed down a guy or 2 who wanted to stay on the baseline and then word got out that my throws were going straight down the baseline and dudes either ran off the baseline or got real low.

Competition....

This would make sense if there was a play at third. There wasn't. No one was advancing and the third baseman was playing in front of the bag. That girl was told to throw down in order to get a "batter's interference" call, in my opinion. The second video clearly shows her throwing the ball so far left of the third base line, it went into the dug out. She was aiming at the girls head, and missed.

JMO

Clyde

The liberal mind is an endless black hole of stupidity.
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by muleshoe
Very unfortunate that the coach would teach this and that the catcher would do it.

Not sure what the point was…
The point was they were expecting an interference call which would mean the batter is out.

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by windridge
Originally Posted by Heym06
Runner on second heading to third, batter interference? Coaches need to have batters step back, not in the base line, where the throw is going. Bad coaching! Or players trying to interfere, hoping to get away with it, while Sally steals third. My observation.

Your observation is somewhat correct. This could cause loss of an eye or teeth of a young girl, however. The coach and catcher should be out of the league, and the coach fired. Any decent coach would be all over the umpires, not trying to harm a young kid.
Like I said before, intentional it's bs. Some must not have seen the runner between 2 nd and 3rd, . This has been an interesting thread!

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I will add that girls this age group are the most petty single minded people on the planet. If a coach instructed her to do it they are also petty and insecure. I played a lot of baseball before injuries side lined me. I played hard . I intentional throw at certain people when pitching. I hit a obviously blind umpire ( that was an uncle of one on other team. And I slide hard. I never aimed for a head or hands and all was tough but safe. I still hold the record for wins as a starting pitcher in the league I played in , mostly because of inning limits now. And no one accused me of dirty play. This catcher would have a tough time not getting beaned in the old days , whether batting or on basepath , and she would have earned a bad name.......

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Runner and interference rules aside for justification.

Doesn't change that it was a obvious Deliberate act.

The distance was so short to the batter and the angle for any throw to 3rd was open.
Batter was well enough in the m8ddle of the box and stepping out of it, the catcher could have easily made a throw to 3rd to keep a runner at 2nd.
3rd basemen was no where near 3rd base.
Almost 10 ft down the baseline towards home.
Totally out of position to cover a play at 3rd per a advancing runner from 2nd...
Not even covering her bag on outfield side of running lane per a runner on 2nd to begin with....
Let alone having line of sight on the Base runner oblique to her rear.
Runner on 2nd was at normal lead off base and then returning to it while catcher had the ball.
Catcher squared off her upper body right to the batter to bean her from the footage it appears to me.

That was a intentional bean ball pitch meant to injure.

Would not be tolerated around here.
Player and coach would have received some sort of punishment.
Couple game suspension at least if applicable.

That catcher probably screwed herself out of some scholarship potential if she is good enough.
That incident will haunt her if so.
And those 1,s and 0,s combining to make up that clip in binary world ain't going away...

A raise eyebrows sort of thing for any colleges possibly looking at her...

Last edited by renegade50; 05/12/23.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Competition....

Thanks for giving us a glimpse into your childhood.

In this game, the throw was 20 degrees left of the third base player. The 3rd base player wasn't even in position to make a play on the base runner, if the runner had gone.

That is all.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Lots of mens umpires are dipshits, don't know about softball. IF A CATCHER DID THIS WHEN I PITCHED BASEBALL I'd bust his head when he came to bat !!

"not too grumpy"
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

Competition....

Thanks for giving us a glimpse into your childhood.

In this game, the throw was 20 degrees left of the third base player. The 3rd base player wasn't even in position to make a play on the base runner, if the runner had gone.

That is all.

Exactly....

Why I edited my previous post .
Then you made your post.

All ties into a Deliberate act.....

Makes ya go hmmmmm.....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Some actual rules, followed by sports analysis on the incident.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Some actual rules, followed by sports analysis on the incident.

Hmmmm...
That is pretty revealing.
They was trying to draw a interference call.
Failed on 1st attempt runner at 3rd was the alibi.

Then nailed the batter on the 2nd attempt in a setup with no play or runner at 3rd.

Ump shoulda ejected the coach and catcher at a minimum after the 2nd attempt per the non play at 3rd.

The malicious part most def applies per the 2nd attempt to draw a interference call.

Last edited by renegade50; 05/12/23.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by renegade50
Runner and interference rules aside for justification.

Doesn't change that it was a obvious Deliberate act.

The distance was so short to the batter and the angle for any throw to 3rd was open.
Batter was well enough in the m8ddle of the box and stepping out of it, the catcher could have easily made a throw to 3rd to keep a runner at 2nd.
3rd basemen was no where near 3rd base.
Almost 10 ft down the baseline towards home.
Totally out of position to cover a play at 3rd per a advancing runner from 2nd...
Not even covering her bag on outfield side of running lane per a runner on 2nd to begin with....
Let alone having line of sight on the Base runner oblique to her rear.
Runner on 2nd was at normal lead off base and then returning to it while catcher had the ball.
Catcher squared off her upper body right to the batter to bean her from the footage it appears to me.

That was a intentional bean ball pitch meant to injure.

Would not be tolerated around here.
Player and coach would have received some sort of punishment.
Couple game suspension at least if applicable.

That catcher probably screwed herself out of some scholarship potential if she is good enough.
That incident will haunt her if so.
And those 1,s and 0,s combining to make up that clip in binary world ain't going away...

A raise eyebrows sort of thing for any colleges possibly looking at her...

Agreed. Hope that “catcher” loses any college scholarship offers she had if any.
The “coach” should be banned for life for that kind of Bullschitt.

But like Barry mentioned earlier, those small town school districts like that one doesn’t give a flying Fugg what those coaches do, as long as they win “Championships”. Especially in Schittholes like that particular town.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
W
WMR Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Character, or lack of it, comes directly from the coach. He or she determines the team’s attitude and behavior. A player will perform up, or down, to the standard the coach sets. Yea, the catcher should get tossed, but the coach needs something more substantial.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
this is why I don't watch people play with a dog toy

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by WMR
Character, or lack of it, comes directly from the coach. He or she determines the team’s attitude and behavior. A player will perform up, or down, to the standard the coach sets. Yea, the catcher should get tossed, but the coach needs something more substantial.

Yep.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Absolutely amazing the members here who try to put lipstick on this pig. The coach and player are scum and the members here who post weak excuses are scum.

‘TO LEARN WHO RULES OVER YOU, SIMPLY FIND OUT WHO YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CRITICIZE’

Conspiracy theorists are the ones who see it all coming…

You are the carbon they want to eliminate !

I’m Uber Deplorable Ultra MAGA !
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (160user, 10ring1, 007FJ, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 58 invisible), 2,909 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,486
Posts18,490,298
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.