Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
M
mbhunt Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I have a late 90's Browning Stainless Stalker with a BOSS. I'm thinking about taking it off mainly because of noise. Recoil reduction is nice but not that important to me really. I'm good with a brake or just a solid screw on piece. I'd love to hear if anyone has had experience with this and it's effect on accuracy.

GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Have one in 7mm rem mag but haven't taken one off. IDK if it's worth it then hearing pro can be had that's super light and small.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Are they common threads ?? There are some blast cans that redirect the noise or you can put on a thread protector. Will it affect accuracy ?? Keep us updated.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I prefer to replace them with a nice crown after cutting the threads off in the lathe.

The threads are longer than a normal brake would use so outside of having something made to fit I don’t know what you could put on other than the BOSS CR which is the unported section they sold to screw on. Like the original brake it’s a big ugly heavy thing.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by mbhunt
I have a late 90's Browning Stainless Stalker with a BOSS. I'm thinking about taking it off mainly because of noise. Recoil reduction is nice but not that important to me really. I'm good with a brake or just a solid screw on piece. I'd love to hear if anyone has had experience with this and it's effect on accuracy.
They make a non-ported BOSS that will tune barrel harmonics without the noise. I have both for my A Bolt.

IC B2

M
mbhunt Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by OldRooster
They make a non-ported BOSS that will tune barrel harmonics without the noise. I have both for my A Bolt.
I think that's what TheKid is talking about. The idea of cutting it off and recrowned is something I'm going to look into.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I think that's what TheKid is talking about. The idea of cutting it off and recrowned is something I'm going to look into.

It's called the CR(conventional recoil)

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Oldelkhunter, that’s it. It’s still a BOSS but not a brake. It works to improve accuracy. Cutting the barrel back or capping the Browning threads I think will inevitably compromise accuracy.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Oldelkhunter, that’s it. It’s still a BOSS but not a brake. It works to improve accuracy. Cutting the barrel back or capping the Browning threads I think will inevitably compromise accuracy.

It's not going to hurt accuracy at all, if you handload. If you go on ebay, they have those CR's from time to time. Both in blued and stainless versions. Just make sure you get the right one for your rifle. They are caliber specific.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

It's not going to hurt accuracy at all, if you handload. If you go on ebay, they have those CR's from time to time. Both in blued and stainless versions. Just make sure you get the right one for your rifle. They are caliber specific.

Correct. I should have said you’ll have to go through the load development process rather than being able to dial in for the load you have on hand.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'd replace the entire barrel, that way you can upgrade to a faster twist for the new high bc bullets and keep barrel length the same as it was with the BOSS, for a bit more velocity without having to hot load

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

I thought this was going to be a divorce story, initially...

The way life should be.
W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
If noise is the issue, find a BOSS CR accessory and be happy. If the looks bother you (understandable) the consider selling the gun and buying another. I did have a Model 70 30-06 with a BOSS. It was accurate but LOUD. I also never liked the looks. I got a CR for it but ended up selling it anyway. I also swore off muzzle brakes forever.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
My brother has a browning white gold medallion 7mm rem mag that came with a Boss, he found a CR and uses that exclusively.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I only have the A Bolt Medallion BOSS because a friend really wanted me to have it. It’s immaculate, box, papers, etc. I never cared for the looks of the BOSS but figured to hell with it. Suppressors are all the rage and the hot accessory. My little muzzle bump works well and makes me look cool.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I had a 338 Win SS Classic with the BOSS. It worked as advertised and was accurate when adjusted correctly. Eventually I had it lopped off. In or to have a clean barrel I had to cut it back to 20.5”. Wasn’t a big deal as it shot great that way and wasn’t real slow either.

Semper Fi
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by beretzs
I had a 338 Win SS Classic with the BOSS. It worked as advertised and was accurate when adjusted correctly. Eventually I had it lopped off. In or to have a clean barrel I had to cut it back to 20.5”. Wasn’t a big deal as it shot great that way and wasn’t real slow either.

Wow that is quite a chop. I think they are 23.5 without the boss in the mags but yea those ugly numbers will still be on the barrel if you just get rid of the threads.

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
I put a BOSS CR on mine last year. My ears wish I’d have done it years ago.
Still love the rifle, but never really noticed how much a .25-06 recoils (its not a lot, but snappier than I thought it’d be) and how crappy the recoil pad is on an A-Bolt II Stainless Stalker. Browning must’ve been buying their recoil pads from the same place as Ruger.
So be aware, it will be more pleasant to shoot as far as your ears are concerned, but it will kick a bit more.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
WMR,
Exactly- The damn things are ugly; I replaced the barrel on a rem 700 300wm just to get rid of the boss. Rile still shoots 1.5 inches or less at 100yds.

Show class, have pride, and display character. If you do, winning will take care of itself.
Coach Bryant.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I agree the muzzle bump is ugly. But I looked at how much barrel would be left on my 25-06 if I chopped it - looks like about 18”.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

436 members (1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 17CalFan, 163bc, 46 invisible), 2,326 guests, and 1,257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,627
Posts18,474,193
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.