Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
I have some accubonds that were pulled to change the load and have tarnished a little while waiting to be loaded gain. I thought of tumbling them. Will this cause any damage to the tip though? Also, is it ok to soak them in a cleaner, such as you would for brass? Would any water leak into the tip area or is this pretty well sealed? They probably would only need five minutes or so in the solution to brighten them up, so they wouldn't soak long. lol Does anyone have any experience tumbling or using soaking solutions on tipped bullets specifically, as I don't want to damage the tips if at all possible.

Last edited by gatekeeper; 05/13/23.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had some old Hornady bullets that were tarnished.I wiped them down with Brasso and they shined right up.Then I hand washed them with some soapy water on a rag to remove any remaining Brasso,rinsed and dried them off.This worked for me.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
N
ned Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Just shoot them.

Ride well, shoot straight, and speak the truth.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My buddy when he finds a load, loads up a bunch. He chose 225 Accubonds for his 338WM . When he was getting ready for a trip to Africa, he found the tips had brittled up and were fragile . It was too late so he took them and never loaded Accubonds again. These were the early versions ,maybe they are using a better plastic. I still use them, but I certainly wouldn't recommend tumbling them.

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Just load 'um and shoot 'um. They don't need to be shiney to shoot. LOL

"Pride is the only disease that makes everyone sick except the one that has it"
IC B2

G
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
Now everybody knows ugly bullets have a lower BC and dont shoot as accurately. Lol I knew somebody was going to say, 'just shut up and shoot them' lol you arent wrong.

G
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
Thanks for the responses!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Vibratory dry tumble would be my first choice, but don’t see anything wrong with wet tumbling.

Last edited by Stammster; 05/14/23.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
you guys are complicating a simple solution to a simple problem..

Once you load them, twist them within steel wool, between your thumb and forefinger...

in 2 seconds they will be just like brand new brass....I do the upper shoulder of the brass at the same time..

This method shines them up in 2 seconds, as over night in a tumbler would...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Seafire
you guys are complicating a simple solution to a simple problem..

Once you load them, twist them within steel wool, between your thumb and forefinger...

in 2 seconds they will be just like brand new brass....I do the upper shoulder of the brass at the same time..

This method shines them up in 2 seconds, as over night in a tumbler would...

I use scotch brite to "shine" up the necks of my brass if needed. Just a couple twists and they're ready.

"Pride is the only disease that makes everyone sick except the one that has it"
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 1badf350, 60 invisible), 2,297 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,706
Posts18,494,396
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.