Campfire Greenhorn
B
John Deere X series will come with a Kawasaki engine

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I think the x series diesels are Yanmar tho. The gas are Kawasaki.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by JeffA
Had two of the Craftsman lawn tractors sitting around here forever, both appeared to have had very little use., one is 22hp two blade the other a 27hp 3 blade.

They came with different houses I'v bought and sold over the years, I have a lawn service that does my mowing work so I've never used them.

Two weeks ago I gave the 27hp tractor to a neighbor kid, he turned it into a speed buggy by reversing the two drive pulleys, he's got it doing like 40 mph.

I wanted the 22hp gone as well so I checked it out, starts right up and runs fine, one blade had some wobble to it and I found it to be a broken deck spindle.

I ordered one from Amazon last Saturday night for $23, 18 hours later on Sunday afternoon it was here.

Took the old spindle off last night and installed the new one this morning.

Wanted to try it out and took off bombing out on the north 40 cutting along the shoreline, it'd grown up pretty good and my lawn guy avoids it.

Got about as far from the house as I could get and run it outta gas, so here I sit, posting meaningless babble on the Fire.

Nothing but mixed on hand, dumped every drop I had in motorcycles, boats and generators over the last couple weeks.

Now I gotta go clean into town just for fuel 🤨

The mower did fine, nuttin wrong with those old Craftsmans.

The 99 model Craftsman we just gave away was still running fine, 18hp single cylinder B&S

FJB & FJT
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've owned an MTD ...then a cub, sold with the house 13 years ago ... Now I got another CUB .... BTW not one time have I ever changed the oil in any of them
oh I add oil if it needs it.... add gas and blow the crap off the air filter ..... I got lawn do but I got more yard that really ain't got grass..... I keep it up on high cut and blade and I just drive around mowing down crap that wants to grow up....Hmm rode hard and put up wet .... Easy peasy

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
my .02.....Kawasaki engine, fabricated deck - then decide on the brand

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Raeford
Originally Posted by JeffA
Had two of the Craftsman lawn tractors sitting around here forever, both appeared to have had very little use., one is 22hp two blade the other a 27hp 3 blade.

They came with different houses I'v bought and sold over the years, I have a lawn service that does my mowing work so I've never used them.

Two weeks ago I gave the 27hp tractor to a neighbor kid, he turned it into a speed buggy by reversing the two drive pulleys, he's got it doing like 40 mph.

I wanted the 22hp gone as well so I checked it out, starts right up and runs fine, one blade had some wobble to it and I found it to be a broken deck spindle.

I ordered one from Amazon last Saturday night for $23, 18 hours later on Sunday afternoon it was here.

Took the old spindle off last night and installed the new one this morning.

Wanted to try it out and took off bombing out on the north 40 cutting along the shoreline, it'd grown up pretty good and my lawn guy avoids it.

Got about as far from the house as I could get and run it outta gas, so here I sit, posting meaningless babble on the Fire.

Nothing but mixed on hand, dumped every drop I had in motorcycles, boats and generators over the last couple weeks.

Now I gotta go clean into town just for fuel 🤨

The mower did fine, nuttin wrong with those old Craftsmans.

The 99 model Craftsman we just gave away was still running fine, 18hp single cylinder B&S

Yep, we bought a 21hp, 42" cut LTS 2000 craftsman in 2008, still running strong, way tough bastard.

I cut tag alders & all sorts of shyte, no problemo.

New setta blades every now & then, 'bout it.

Keep filling the rotten tires with slime, good to go again !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Kubota
Burks in Twin Falls
Made in Georgia

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
if I was wanting a tractor type mower. you can't beat the cut of a Simplicity.. they have various models and engine options one of which is Kohler. I have I think it's a 2005 model Broadmoor with a Kohler engine and it has almost 1,100 hours on it right now and never had a bit of trouble.. and how they pull their deck the deck floats with the terrain better than anything I've ever seen even leaves baseball stripes if you like such...

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Bought a cub cadet with Kohler motor. I highly recommend it

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I've had a Simplictiy, a Cub shaft drive, and now have a Kubota GR2020. The GR 2020 is all wheel drive and heavy duty. You can get turf tires or the bar type tread (I have turf) and I bought it with 0% interest. The GR 2020 has hydraulic steering and mower deck lift. They have a 20.5 HP Kohler engine.

Nobody's right if everybody's wrong.
Getting into reloading to save money is like getting married for free sex.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
RockChuck, you said your old one was a "heavy duty garden tractor". From what remember, those were a step above a typical lawn mower and had a manual transaxle. You said it has to pull your rototiller. I doubt any run of the mill lawn mowers would last long pulling a tiller, certainly not a hydrostatic.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
My 17 year old Craftsman lost the transaxle and replacements aren't available any more. So, it's time for a fresh one. In this area, there are 3 brands available that are made in the US: Cub Cadet, JD, and Husqvarna. Thanks to my wife's knee surgery a couple weeks ago, my budget is limited to $2500 to $3000. I'd prefer a ZT for mowing but it also has to pull my tow-behind rototiller so I'm limited to a tractor type.
My Craftsman was a heavy duty garden tractor with 23" rear wheels, 1" axles, and a heavy duty frame for attachments. Most of them have 20" wheels and lighter frames until you get way above my budget. I have a dozer blade for it and have used it to plow a lot of snow. I don't need that any more, though, as I have a blade on my Polaris RZR.
It has a 54" deck which has always been a bit too wide for my orchard. This time I'll go with 46 to 48".

Cub uses mostly Kohler engines. My experience with Kohler is that they're hard to beat. They use the Commander version with the cast iron cylinders. Cubs are heavy. They'll run 150 to 200lb more than the other brands in the same class. Cub has a 3 year warranty on the drive train, 5 on the frame and body, and lifetime on the deck if you get a fabricated one.

JD lists all their engines as OEM. From what I can tell, those could be Briggs, maybe Kawasaki, or maybe something else. They don't make their own engines for mowers in that price range. They make train loads of them for the Home Depot market. They aren't up to the the standards of real tractors. They have the shortest warranty of any of them - 2 years or 120 hours.

Husky uses Briggs and Kawasaki engines. They made my old Craftsman and it was great. They have a 3 year limited warranty. I'm not sure what's included.

All of them have a limited slip axle available starting at $4000 but I really don't need that any more since I don't plow snow with it any more.

I had other uses planned for the money, but the grass is getting tall. I really didn't want to do this right now.

You may not want to spend the time fixing it, but you’d be amazed at how many garden/lawn tractor transaxles can be found on eBay. Couple hundred dollars plus $100 shipping. Again, may not be worth your time, and you may be ready for a new one. OTOH, it may save you $2-$3000 on a new one, and you can wait until a better deal on a mildly used “heavy duty” model comes along..

Most of the older Craftsman’s were AYP/Electrolux (same maker as Husqvarna), BTW…

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Simplicity makes the most unreliable mower ever. Plus overpriced and cheaply made. Owned by B&S, so no other engine options.

Last edited by Stammster; 05/16/23.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
If I were buying it would have a Kawasaki regardless of mower brand.

And yes there are mowers made by big names for the box stores. Go to an actual dealer and get a better product.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ another brand you might want to look at is Dixie Chopper. My brother has 2 of them and 1 Skag he uses for his large yard. He bought the Skag used and had it serviced a few years back. 2 mowings a week on 6 acres of lawn and it works like a charm along with the Choppers. They use Kawasaki motors.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Cub Cadet with a Kohler all the way you won't regret it

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I have the 46" Cub Cadet with the 22hp Kohler twin cylinder. I have used it for 5 years and cut some rough stuff a few times with no complaints. It turns much tighter than my older Troy built or Craftsmans.

Last edited by reivertom; 05/16/23.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd look for a older gravely walk behind/sulky mower myself. Pretty easy to work on and heavy duty.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by BKinSD
Originally Posted by Tarkio
Originally Posted by BKinSD
I went through the same exercise and decided that Deere was right for me. It's quality stuff backed by a huge dealer and supply chain. I took advantage of their fantastic zero interest offers and have a machine paid for now which is worth about what I paid for it. In the meantime its been excellent to own and maintain. Lots of people using 30-40 year old Deere equipment which is still working perfectly today. My thinking was I could buy a new MTD every five years and wonder if my attachments would work or buy once and know that it all fit and worked together.

Kawasaki 25 horse gasoline engine, built/assembled in Horicon WI.

Consumer JD mowers are nothing like real JD eqt. Our last mower took a crap last year. Lost a cylinder. Not worth rebuilding. Maybe had a few hundred hours on it is all. And their name-branded small engines, no thanks.

Good thing I bought a massive x700 series from a dealership then, I guess.

If you bought a bigger motor from the dealership then you are good to go.

But Rockchucks budget is $3k tops. That isn't going to do anything but get into the very bottom end of the consumer level jd mowers.

Last edited by Tarkio; 05/16/23.

Montana MOFO
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a Cub XT2 22 horse. Bought it at the beginning of 2017 because the 1995 “real” Cub my father gave me was falling apart under me. It has the 22-horse Kohler and a 42” deck, which I picked because I have a bunch of tight spots to go through, and it just makes it. Belt drive and of course, a belt-driven deck. A couple of years ago I bought their quick-mount front blade and chains for pushing snow and because I needed to redo the gravel in my driveway. I spread 15 tons of #57 (?) with that blade, which is light-duty, but does okay if you don’t dig too deep, which will make it flip. Same for snow. I was given a tilting drop-gate trailer, but most of my hauling is in a Jet Sled I bought for deer hunting. Works great and is much simpler to use than the trailer.

Very pleased so far. Have performed minimal maintenance and had no serious trouble. For mowing, snow removal, and dragging stuff around the yard, it’s perfect, and a ZTR, a decent one anyway, would be a waste of money for me and less useful. My neighbor keeps buying cheap ZTRs and replacing them.

My Cub was $2k, and last I looked they were about $2500.

What fresh Hell is this?
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Pappy348
I have a Cub XT2 22 horse. Bought it at the beginning of 2017 because the 1995 “real” Cub my father gave me was falling apart under me. It has the 22-horse Kohler and a 42” deck, which I picked because I have a bunch of tight spots to go through, and it just makes it. Belt drive and of course, a belt-driven deck. A couple of years ago I bought their quick-mount front blade and chains for pushing snow and because I needed to redo the gravel in my driveway. I spread 15 tons of #57 (?) with that blade, which is light-duty, but does okay if you don’t dig too deep, which will make it flip. Same for snow. I was given a tilting drop-gate trailer, but most of my hauling is in a Jet Sled I bought for deer hunting. Works great and is much simpler to use than the trailer.

Very pleased so far. Have performed minimal maintenance and had no serious trouble. For mowing, snow removal, and dragging stuff around the yard, it’s perfect, and a ZTR, a decent one anyway, would be a waste of money for me and less useful. My neighbor keeps buying cheap ZTRs and replacing them.

My Cub was $2k, and last I looked they were about $2500.

I passed by the riding mowers at Home Depot today , everything looked like 3500 bucks. John Deere and Cub

I paid 2300 for a Cub in 1998 , was one of the worst mowers I have ever owned. It came with a Kohler motor.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

165 members (1_deuce, 3333vl, 308xray, 2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 20 invisible), 14,662 guests, and 1,141 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,228
Posts18,543,966
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.