Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Glad to see that it is chambered for 280 AI and the PRC's. Does it come with the bolt on the left side?

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
Glad to see that it is chambered for 280 AI and the PRC's. Does it come with the bolt on the left side?

Yep. If I wanted a 26" barreled long range lightweight rifle, that 7mm PRC would probably be high on the list. The 280AI too, but I think my 24" barreled 280AI's would work just fine.

Must be a misprint that the 270 weighs 5oz more the 280AI, 7mm PRC, and 7mm Rem Mag?

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by WhelenAway

Yep. If I wanted a 26" barreled long range lightweight rifle, that 7mm PRC would probably be high on the list. The 280AI too, but I think my 24" barreled 280AI's would work just fine.

Must be a misprint that the 270 weighs 5oz more the 280AI, 7mm PRC, and 7mm Rem Mag?

Same Bbl. diameter, smaller bore, thicker Bbl., same performance, less recoil...

GR

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
laugh laugh laugh

Even a 280AI fan isn't fool enough to claim it has the same performance as a 7PRC or 7RM . . . . 270win falls well short.

Last edited by WhelenAway; 05/18/23. Reason: added two more laughs and comment

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Garandimal

Same Bbl. diameter, small bore, thicker Bbl., same performance, less recoil...

GR

I say get one and work it out.

Personally, I'd rather just kick tires and make holes in paper than worry about what we think on this place. We only have ourselves to please. Busting caps will tell the tale.

Semper Fi
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by beretzs

Same Bbl. diameter, smaller bore, thicker Bbl., same performance, less recoil...

GR

Personally, I'd rather just kick tires and make holes in paper than worry about what we think on this place. We only have ourselves to please. Busting caps will tell the tale.

Honestly?

.270Win, 1:10 twist, 22" Bbl., Cup-n-core 150 gr. Speer (or 140 gr. TSX) bullets... does what I need.

... Hunting out to 400 yards.

But have considered re-Bbl'ing an old M700 pencil Bbl. .270Win w/ a PacNor varmint weight 24" stainless, and a faster, 1:8 twist.

Now that high SD/BC bullets are becoming available, it would be an interesting rig.

And one can almost smell the fear of the 7mm fanbois... now that .277 is THE Military caliber.

8>)

GR

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

Honestly?

.270Win, 1:10 twist, 22" Bbl., Cup-n-core 150 gr. Speer (or 140 gr. TSX) bullets... does what I need.

But have considered re-Bbl'ing an old M700 pencil Bbl. .270Win w/ a PacNor varmint weight 24" stainless, and a faster, 1:8 twist.

Now that high SD/BC bullets are becoming available, it would be an interesting rig.

And one can almost smell the fear of the 7mm fanbois... now that .277 is THE Military caliber.

8>)

GR

Will this become the Std. for the 21st Century?

GR

WTF happened to the standard for the 21st Century?

Oh, I get it. Seems the only thing you shoot is your mouth. Probably haven't bought a gun in 30 years. laugh

As Finn said, the 277 is just an aberrant 7mm. (look it up)

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

Honestly?

8>)

GR

Will this become the Std. for the 21st Century?

GR

WTF happened to the standard for the 21st Century?

Oh, I get it. Seems the only thing you shoot is your mouth. Probably haven't bought a gun in 30 years. laugh

As Finn said, the 277 is just an aberrant 7mm. (look it up)

The fear is strong w/ this one^...

"Quite a cartridge, the old .270 Win.
It has wiped the floor with its competitors,
the .264 Win Mag., the .284 Win., and the .280 Rem.,
and despite the success of the 7mm Mag.,
it is still a thriving and highly popular number. And with good reason...

... my youngest son Harald no longer has any use for a .280 Rem., a .308, a 30-'06,
or even a 7mm Mag., because he now has a .270."

- Finn Aagaard -

Look it up.

8>)

P.S. little one: how old do you think this .270Win rifle is?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

... Bet you were already out of diapers.

8>)

GR

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've got nothing against the 270, it's a fine caliber, but I wouldn't trade my 280 Rem for a 270 Win.

Finn Aagard be damned.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 99guy
I've got nothing against the 270, it's a fine caliber, but I wouldn't trade my 280 Rem for a 270 Win.

Finn Aagard be damned.

... and Ross Seyfried.

Choosing YOUR Ideal Hunting Cartridge

"Ah, I see the guy in the back of the room waving his hand.
He feels like the kid on Christmas morning who did not find a package under the tree . . .
“errr, maybe you forgot something?”
No, I just saved perhaps the best for last.
When in doubt . . . get a .270 Winchester!"

- Ross Seyfried -

8>)

GR

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well, I've never thought of myself as too dumb to make up my own mind and need a gun writer to tell me what to do or what to hunt with.

What would you be hunting with if you couldn't read?

Nothing against gun writers....

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

Finn Aagard be damned.

Apparently the JOC-sniffer can read, except maybe for a ballistics chart.

He still needs to detail how the 270 equals the 7PRC and 7RM.

Too bad Winchester couldn't copy the 7x64 Brenneke a little better. The 277 bore never needed to exist, and it would have been twisted better too.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

Finn Aagard be damned.

Apparently the JOC-sniffer can read, except maybe for a ballistics chart.

He still needs to detail how the 270 equals the 7PRC and 7RM.

Too bad Winchester couldn't copy the 7x64 Brenneke a little better. The 277 bore never needed to exist.

So, little one...

You feel ballistic charts kill game?

8>)

Out to 400 yards, the game won't know the difference.

And the .270Win will do it with less powder and recoil.

It's a more efficient cartridge.

Look up P.O. Ackley's thoughts on the .270Win.
(hint: there is no .270 AI)

You don't have to like or understand that, little one.

GR

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Well, I've never thought of myself as too dumb to make up my own mind and need a gun writer to tell me what to do or what to hunt with.

What would you be hunting with if you couldn't read?

Nothing against gun writers....

The .270Win.

Started w/ a coupla .30-06's.

The first a 1903A3 sporter, and then a very nice scoped Winchester M70.

The 180 gr. loads affected my precision, and, while all-day shootable, the 150's lacked both the SD and BC for my requirements.

The 150 gr. .270Win had the same SD as the 180 gr. .30-06, but shot like the 150 gr. .30's, with better BC and trajectory ta boot.

Also like the 6.5x55mm/140 gr. quite a bit as well, for a light weight, aperture sighted rifle.

GR

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Whether it makes a difference or not, there is no denying that the 7PRC and 7RM offer more performance than the 270 (physics).

Whether it matters or not, depends on the game. That's why the 7RM was developed. Flatter trajectory than the 30-06 was needed, but the 270 was believed marginal for elk.

And for educational reading, there is a 270AI. MANY 270 shooters are spending a lot of money trying to make their 270 the equal of the 280AI.

270AI educational reading assignment

But unfortunately they never can, due to the larger bore of the 7mm, the small advantage in capacity of the 280 case, and the better high BC 7mm bullets.

Have fun researching the rifles you'll never own smile

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I've always thought that 6.5mm was just a little bit too small for average big game, 7mm would be fine except who wants the recoil of 175 or 180 grain projectiles from a .30-06 size case or larger? Not me. A true 7mm which is almost exactly .277 is about right for hunting most game. And it seems that the military's tests have also shown it is the ideal size for their purposes. More high bc .277 projectiles will soon come out.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Whether it makes a difference or not, there is no denying that the 7PRC and 7RM offer more performance than the 270 (physics).

Whether it matters or not, depends on the game. That's why the 7RM was developed. Flatter trajectory than the 30-06 was needed, but the 270 was believed marginal for elk.

And for educational reading, there is a 270AI. MANY 270 shooters are spending a lot of money trying to make their 270 the equal of the 280AI.

But unfortunately they never can, due to the larger bore of the 7mm, the small advantage in capacity of the 280 case, and the better high BC 7mm bullets.

So you feel that ballistics tables kill game.

Aren't you special.

Bet you need a bench and a bi-pod as well.

Didn't do your homework either, little one. (Reading for content is a skill, too.)

P.O. Ackley ( the "A" in A.I.)

P.O. ACKLEY FIREFORM IMPROVED WILDCATS FROM CURRENT FACTORY CARTRIDGES
Cartridge - Performance Gain over Factory - Ackley Comment
270 Win. Ack. Imp. - Little or none with more powder - Not recommended, factory 270 is better

Should have stayed in school, little one.

8>)

GR

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
What other factory 270 fast-twist rifles are available?

What 270 loaded ammo with a high BC (>600) is available?

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

So you feel that ballistics tables kill game.

Aren't you special.

Bet you need a bench and a bi-pod as well.

Didn't do your homework either, little one. (Reading for content is a skill, too.)

P.O. Ackley ( the "A" in AI.)

P.O. ACKLEY FIREFORM IMPROVED WILDCATS FROM CURRENT FACTORY CARTRIDGES
Cartridge - Performance Gain over Factory - Ackley Comment
270 Win. Ack. Imp. - Little or none with more powder - Not recommended, factory 270 is better

Should have stayed in school, little one.

8>)

GR

I've got the book. 1962 copyright.

I know you're living in 1925, but powders and bullets are far different than in 1962.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
What other factory 270 fast-twist rifles are available?

What 270 loaded ammo with a high BC (>600) is available?

The Military just adopted the .277 as their primary rifle caliber.

The 6.8 Western, the first higher-twist commercial .277" cartridge, ttbomk, was just released not too long ago.

It took the 6.5 CM Ten Years, and aggressive marketing, to rise to it's current level of popularity, given that it is essentially a 6.5x55mm in short pants.

On the other hand, since the advent of the 7 RM for heavy bullets, and the 6.5 CM for higher BC, the .277 community, which is predominantly game hunters and not paper punchers, have been asking for higher twists and better bullets.

And that is now being addressed.

Note: Rifleman pride themselves on how Close they can get to their game before they have to shoot.

So, your academic perspective is somewhat retarded in the hunting fields.

400 yards - is a long field shot, as is even 300 in less that ideal conditions.

A Higher twist .270Win, with a higher BC, will still shoot w/ the same precision and mild recoil, but make those longer shots, on heavier game, a little easier in those less than ideal conditions.

Your Sniper fantasies not withstanding.

GR

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (1badf350, 1minute, 163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 204guy, 62 invisible), 2,644 guests, and 1,317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,594
Posts18,473,485
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.