Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I wish I lived where I grew up and who knows I might end up there.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by ldholton
yes.. currently even exactly in the same house..

That makes you a bad person apparently.

I live a mile and a half from the original 1914 homestead....which we now own too.

I am MAGA.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Originally Posted by KSMITH
Just curious how many managed to stay where they grew up. Anybody wanting or wishing to move back where they came from? I came from a small town in PA and there was never much going on there. I hunted, fished and trapped etc... Now I can't believe I lived around that much green country. So many options to be outdoors. VA is one of those states where 99% of the land is owned so options to get outside is very limited and if you go to national forests (3 hours away) the laws prohibit most things like metal detecting.

I took the military route and got stuck in Hampton Roads. Frigging hate this place and wish I could go back home but no jobs. Been thinking about raising cows and doing some other stuff to make up for the lost money if I quit my job. Not like I will be getting a fat retirement from my short time in the federal job system. Currently looking for a full remote job and a star link satellite system located on top of a mountain. Until then, I spend most weekends in Shenandoah and West Virginia. Been looking into starting a couple AirBnB's.

Air BnB’s et al are part of the problem. Everybody wants to make as much money as possible, then move to a low income rural area and live like a king. Or buy “investment property” and trash it with the short term rentals.

A buddy said he was going to buy a property by me when it came up for sale, throw some cabins on it and pimp it on air bnb to the tourons. I told him I’d burn the fücking things down every time they were almost done.

My wife and I owned rental properties 20 years ago. They are simply not worth it especially when they were in a blue state and 500 miles away.

People get sucked into that Airbnb dream without realizing what a cluster it is after a while.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
There is actually fewer people in the town I went to school in today then when I was a student.

It's probably 900 or 1000 now.

I am MAGA.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Yep and now the pilgrims have ruined it.

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by losttrail60
Yep and now the pilgrims have ruined it.

No ,your ILK has ruined most rural properties.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Way too many people now.
Used to be all farms. Now there are houses, fences and no trespassing signs everywhere. A repectful kid used to be able to roam, hunt, ride horse or dirt bike all over without any problems. The cityots have swarmed the area and ruined it.
Could have got my parents place when Dad died. It was an awesome place to grow up, but wouldn't be able to stand living there anymore.

Save our kids - shoot your local drug dealer.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Every time I go back to visit I am reminded of why I left. I love it but I can't stay. Best place on earth aside from the people. Family .. can't live with them, not supposed to shoot them. We're good for an hour or two, then the masks start to come off and it's back to same-shidt-different-decade.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
No fuggin way.

Population in place I was born, and place I was raised has increased astronomically.

Never going back to either unless it's to visit and even those are a complete and utter pain in the rear with traffic, crowds, and general azzhattedness.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I live 90 minutes from my home town. Population growing up 3600 and today whopping 3900. Mom and Dad still living on our farm there. They have lived in the same house dad grew up in and me and my siblings were raised in. I got to hunt and fish everyday did some trapping for beer money, it was a good child hood.

I was just there this morning, have some business in the area and get there every week for a few hours. Checked some cows and stopped at the house to visit my parents a bit, and stopped and picked a few morels before I headed home. Doubt I would move back. Did that once and ended up moving away again. Been here where I’m at now 25 years and got grandkids here to. Guess this is home now.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not me. No desire to go back.

Was a great place to grow up, but there is too much to see.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I live 8 miles from where I grew up. It's a whole lot different that it was when mom and dad brought me home from the hospital in 1953.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
While I still live in the same state, North Carolina, I'm about 175 miles west of where I was born.

I was born in a small town (then 10,000 people), moved to a city when I was 9 (then 140,000, now 300,000) and through college, and eventually moved to the mountains. We now live in the largest county in the mountains population wise and it is getting very crowded and very woke. The population has grown by about 100,000 to 270,000 now from when I first moved to the mountains. I swear all 100,000 are either hippies or woke liberals.

We are considering moving closer to the grandkids to a county with about a 170,000 population but it is spread out. The county seat only has 20,000 residents. More importantly, it trends conservative and has lower taxes. The funny thing is I'd be about 25 miles from where I was born.

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Grandma told me pick a spot and give her $1 I did so

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by jpr9954
While I still live in the same state, North Carolina, I'm about 175 miles west of where I was born.

I was born in a small town (then 10,000 people), moved to a city when I was 9 (then 140,000, now 300,000) and through college, and eventually moved to the mountains. We now live in the largest county in the mountains population wise and it is getting very crowded and very woke. The population has grown by about 100,000 to 270,000 now from when I first moved to the mountains. I swear all 100,000 are either hippies or woke liberals.

We are considering moving closer to the grandkids to a county with about a 170,000 population but it is spread out. The county seat only has 20,000 residents. More importantly, it trends conservative and has lower taxes. The funny thing is I'd be about 25 miles from where I was born.

Subaru dealer is not complaining about being there I can assure you that.

D
dpd Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Yes . Just across the bayou from where I grew up. I can see my Mom's house from my kitchen window.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Went on an ambulance run this morning 20 miles south of me.

It was on my road so I went straight to the scene.

The wife of the elderly patient introduced me as their neighbor.

That was kinda cool.

I am MAGA.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I was born and raised in west central Alabama in the same area where my father's family were from since the 1820s, having moved from South Carolina. My mother's family were from the south eastern corner of Alabama and also settled there in about the same time period from North Carolina. When I was 24, I concluded there was much better economic opportunity for me in Texas, so I moved here, near an aunt and uncle that had been here since 1939 or so. This was in 1979. This was a good move, but I had always had moving back one day on my mind. For years I had considered myself a temporary resident. Over the years I would visit my "home area" several times a year. I noticed as the years passed that while many landmarks remained, some have not. Most of my various family members and friends moved away or died. Those that remained in the area got on with their lives which did not include me. I did the same. In time, I came to realize that the world that I once knew so well growing up, is now just a distant memory. It is not now the same place that I once knew and loved. The people are all different and so are some of the places. The graves of my ancestors are still there with the addition of many others. I have reserved my spot amongst them, realizing that I will most likely be the last of my family ever to be buried there. I know that I made the right decision for my particular situation to leave there when I did, but I do wish things had been different. Where I'm at is not a bad place at all, but it has gotten much too crowded. I may, but I really don't want to die here. It is just so hard to pull up roots and leave. I have lived in my house since 1989 and in this area since '79. This kinda reminds me of an old once popular song by Joe South, "Don't It Make You Want To Go Home, Now". My father died back in 2000, and I well remember him telling me a few years before that, when I was there for a visit, and told him that I eventually wanted to move back. He told me that once you really leave, you can never come back. I knew what he said then, but I really came to understand it years later.

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Originally Posted by KSMITH
Just curious how many managed to stay where they grew up. Anybody wanting or wishing to move back where they came from? I came from a small town in PA and there was never much going on there. I hunted, fished and trapped etc... Now I can't believe I lived around that much green country. So many options to be outdoors. VA is one of those states where 99% of the land is owned so options to get outside is very limited and if you go to national forests (3 hours away) the laws prohibit most things like metal detecting.

I took the military route and got stuck in Hampton Roads. Frigging hate this place and wish I could go back home but no jobs. Been thinking about raising cows and doing some other stuff to make up for the lost money if I quit my job. Not like I will be getting a fat retirement from my short time in the federal job system. Currently looking for a full remote job and a star link satellite system located on top of a mountain. Until then, I spend most weekends in Shenandoah and West Virginia. Been looking into starting a couple AirBnB's.

Air BnB’s et al are part of the problem. Everybody wants to make as much money as possible, then move to a low income rural area and live like a king. Or buy “investment property” and trash it with the short term rentals.

A buddy said he was going to buy a property by me when it came up for sale, throw some cabins on it and pimp it on air bnb to the tourons. I told him I’d burn the fücking things down every time they were almost done.

That's funny right there.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
My home town used to have 3200 people there. It has since dwindled down to about 2000 now. It's dying a very slow death, but it's dying. I moved away about 50 years ago (not my choice), but I manage to "go home" a couple of times a year to visit with family and keep an eye on things.
I didn't live in "town" anyway, I grew up about six miles out of town on a farm. I'm still a farm kid at heart.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

680 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 68 invisible), 3,138 guests, and 1,390 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,104
Posts18,483,198
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.