Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Not I

My mom was born on the dining room table of the house I grew up in.
76 years later she passed away in the dining room in the same house 20 ft from where she was born.
She lived out side of that house less than a year when she married my dad and moved back in after her mom passed.

My sister is 57 and has only lived out of that house for 6 months of her life.

She can have it.
I have my memories and that is all I need.

E
ERK Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
E
Moved from here to Alaska to Mississippi to Florida to Alaska and ended back here in north central North Dakota. Stated farming and retired 6 years ago. Population of about 3500. Not a stop light in the whole town. Edk

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I grew up here and the population was about 1200. Got out of school and moved 4200 miles away to see the world. Had a great time and some great experiences for a decade. Moved back and brought my wife and baby boy going on 7 years ago now. Population is still about 1200.

Sometimes I miss the adventure but living where I live and having the connections I have gives me a several thousand acre playground I don’t really have to share with many others. Outdoors stuff to do year around. Family and friends I love close by. And cheap living in a quiet small town.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
I've been gone from where I was raised for 50 years. Can't really see us going back there because of the traffic and all the tourist. But I have some commercial waterfront property there and we've thought about going back and charter fishing the winter season from my slip at our restaurant. I keep telling myself the weather is really nice in south Florida during the winter.

Life is good live it while you can.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Way, way, way more people now.

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
You assume I've finally grown up.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Was born and spent most of my life in Chicago. Now that I am in Wyoming for 12 years I wish I would have got here sooner.

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
4th generation on current land I had to buy some to square things up the 5th generation has picked out home spots not got going any where

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by oldcuss
Small town in North Central Vermont, When I grew up there, population
around 560 - 570. Just checked, now increased to 750.

East central Vermont here. Grew up in a town with a population of about 750.
Moved two towns north, current population 675ish. That’s plenty of people for me!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I live within 6 miles of where I grew up.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Within 35 miles as the crow flies...

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Born in a hospital 25 miles from here.
Grew up on a farm 5 miles away.
Will never leave this country.

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
My cowboy dream was to drift onto some ranch, marry the rich man's daughter and take over. Instead my crazy mom, while my dad was out of town building churches, thought we should join some giant evangelist movement to the fastest growing town in the country. Long Island from Texas was a different universe back then. Culture shock is a weak expression pre Interstates, pre McDonalds, etc. On the other end, my daughter is now living within a few miles of our maternal progenitor from 1750's and moving closer to my great grandfather's farm. He left to homestead Indian Territory then Kim Colorado desert to strike it rich as the abnormal wet era ended in the dust bowl days. Greener grass syndrome. Nothing is the same anywhere anyway. You can't go home again even if you stay put.

Last edited by Crash_Pad; 05/17/23.
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Within 150 miles. Would never think of being down South where the problems are. No Thank You. Will deal with the cold winters and snow. Don't deal with the BS other problems either. Call me a Yank or whatever. You have far more problems than we do up here.

jar Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes I live about 3 miles from the family farm I grew up on . when I got outa school I could not get outa here fast enough ! got a really good paying job in the oil fields in oklahoma ( 7hrs away from home ) was there for about 2 1/2 yrs when they shut the oil down in the early 80s had a hell of a time finding a good paying welding job anywhere , so came back home and as things go my mom got very sick . I settled in and stayed to help take care of her , and, got into construction , been here most all of my years !

teach your children well , ride hard, shoot straight, be involved!
I
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
I live 32 mi. from where I grew up. I lived in Menomonee Fall, Wi. Population 15,000 in 1970 and now 32,000 . I moved north so I could afford a few acres. Now I live near Allenton , WIs. However, I would like to move to Upper Michigan, or stay for the summer.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by NoDak
Within 150 miles. Would never think of being down South where the problems are. No Thank You. Will deal with the cold winters and snow. Don't deal with the BS other problems either. Call me a Yank or whatever. You have far more problems than we do up here.

Southern Chicago has problems.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I was born in New Orleans and grew up in rural New Hampshire, but have no desire to live in either place. The land that I grew up on has been subdivided, so the 80 acres of woods, grown up sheep pasture, and orchard that I roamed as a kid doesn't exist any more.

My wife wants to retire in the mountains of NH or VT, while I want to retire around Durango, CO. Unless someone else takes over the management of our resort rental business, it would be more convenience for me to drive from Durango to Breckenridge then it would be to fly halfway across the country to do onsite inspections and manage maintenance and upgrades.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Originally Posted by KSMITH
Just curious how many managed to stay where they grew up. Anybody wanting or wishing to move back where they came from? I came from a small town in PA and there was never much going on there. I hunted, fished and trapped etc... Now I can't believe I lived around that much green country. So many options to be outdoors. VA is one of those states where 99% of the land is owned so options to get outside is very limited and if you go to national forests (3 hours away) the laws prohibit most things like metal detecting.

I took the military route and got stuck in Hampton Roads. Frigging hate this place and wish I could go back home but no jobs. Been thinking about raising cows and doing some other stuff to make up for the lost money if I quit my job. Not like I will be getting a fat retirement from my short time in the federal job system. Currently looking for a full remote job and a star link satellite system located on top of a mountain. Until then, I spend most weekends in Shenandoah and West Virginia. Been looking into starting a couple AirBnB's.

Air BnB’s et al are part of the problem. Everybody wants to make as much money as possible, then move to a low income rural area and live like a king. Or buy “investment property” and trash it with the short term rentals.

A buddy said he was going to buy a property by me when it came up for sale, throw some cabins on it and pimp it on air bnb to the tourons. I told him I’d burn the fücking things down every time they were almost done.

That's funny right there.

truly unbelievable.....bob

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I live in a small town with not much crime about 2 blocks from where I was raised. If I want excitement, I'll travel.

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (1234, 17CalFan, 160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 61 invisible), 2,316 guests, and 1,169 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,517
Posts18,490,943
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.