Print Thread
Hop To
B
blairvt Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
I think one was pushing 5 lbs. Fished that creek my entire life and never caught one like that
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

GB1

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Wow! That’s a HAWG! Nice work man!

Post spawner pretty beat up.

What’d you catch him on?

River smallmouth fishing is the BEST!

O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
Congratulations! Beauty!

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Those olive bass are amazing, love to fish for them.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
Nice Smallmouth. I grew up with the South fork of the Shenandoah pretty much in my backyard. Smallmouth have always been my favorite fish.

IC B2

B
blairvt Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by efw

What’d you catch him on?

Just a plain 3" white grub. Caught lots of red eyes too. They had been on a decline in recent years so hopefully they are bouncing back.

Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by blairvt
Originally Posted by efw

What’d you catch him on?

Just a plain 3" white grub. Caught lots of red eyes too. They had been on a decline in recent years so hopefully they are bouncing back.
3" white or yellow grub is tough to beat. My favorite is early morning or late evening top water. Tiny torpedo, floating Rapala or a baby spook

B
blairvt Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Troutnut
Originally Posted by efw

What’d you catch him on?

3" white or yellow grub is tough to beat. My favorite is early morning or late evening top water. Tiny torpedo, floating Rapala or a baby spook
I like top water too for the fun of it, but when in a canoe you need to anchor down to really fish a hole with topwater. Its already a 3 hour float and a grub just covers more water faster.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
That’s a beauty I’ll get some nice ones on my fly rod when I’m fishing for Muskie.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Ever try the Banjo Minnow? Sounds crazy, and it was a TV lure, but that thing is almost cheating. When we float rivers for smallies, I can pretty much leave everything else at home.

IC B3

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Originally Posted by Gooch_McGrundle
Ever try the Banjo Minnow? Sounds crazy, and it was a TV lure, but that thing is almost cheating. When we float rivers for smallies, I can pretty much leave everything else at home.

One of the old timers I used to work with swore by those things and those multiblade Ninja spinnerbaits for river smallies. I don't think I've ever actually seen either of them, aside from the TV commercials back in the 90s.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
They are back in production. I just bought a bunch.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The greatest fish on earth.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
CONGRATS, that's a great Smallmouth,. creek or river. I've caught a lot of them on the James, Shenandoah and Maury in western Virginia but never got one that big. River Smallmouth is great fishing. Got some good Channel Catfish on those rivers too using chicken livers.

Last edited by 43Shooter; 05/17/23.
H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Smallmouth from rivers and creeks are the hardest fighting fish and the best eating

B
blairvt Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by h4everything
Smallmouth from rivers and creeks are the hardest fighting fish and the best eating

I'd never eat a smallmouth. Took them a long time to get that big. Makes me sick to see a stringer full of bass taken out of a stretch of creek. Takes a long time for the population to recover from that.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by h4everything

I'd never eat a smallmouth. Took them a long time to get that big. Makes me sick to see a stringer full of bass taken out of a stretch of creek. Takes a long time for the population to recover from that.

I agree, I'm no smallmouth killer. Crappie, bluegill and catfish occasionally go in the freezer. And I wouldn't blink an eye at keeping a few undersized largemouth or white bass from a reservoir for fish tacos. But not smallmouth, ever. With that said, if it is legal and another fisherman keeps a few to eat that isn't my business.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Very nice fish, i used to catch 3-5 lb smallmouth fairly often on the shenandoah but fish kills in 2004-2005 hurt it bad and it doesnt seem like the fish are coming back that big . Largmouth are booming right now with lots of bigger fish.the smallmouth citation weight is 5 lbs for virginia and raised to that from 4 lbs after the big smallie boom at lake moomaw. They should drop it back to 4 lbs again. Thats a nice fish anywhere.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (160user, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 1234, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 65 invisible), 2,064 guests, and 1,228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,831
Posts18,496,693
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.