Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by gunswizard
Take your pain meds half an hour before appointments and ice for half an hour afterwards.

You were prescribed enough pain medication to last through your PT sessions??

IMO this is not good advice. If PT is causing intense pain your therapist will want to know. And you want to be as lucid as possible when you're at your PT sessions so you can understand and remember what your therapist is telling you about your home exercise program.

And yes, I've had the surgery and been through PT for not only the rotator cuff but also major orthopedic surgeries on a knee, ankle, and wrist. Never was it recommended that I take pain medication before PT appointments and never was it necessary.

smoke,

I had enough to get through a couple of weeks of PT and was told to take a pill 20 min before the session. Of course, mine were pretty severe tears. And open surgery not arthroscopic. On the first (L arm) the doc came and told me it was worse than expected. Usually he fixes them in 45 min or so, mine was more like 2 hr and 30 min. He was (still is??) team physician for a major university sports program and an asst physician for a couple of pro teams too.

After a couple of weeks it was "take a tylenol 20 mins before)

Second one was done by the head of sports medicine at a major med college. didn't take as long, didn't reattach the bicep tendon, said I'd be 85% or so with just the one head attached. Didn't get as many drugs either as it was arthroscopic, but still took a pill for the first week or so.

Then again, these were both 10-15 years ago and they weren't as stringent about the scripts then.

Interesting. My surgery was like your second one, the supraspinatus and biceps tendons were damaged and they didn't re-attach the biceps tendon, just cut it. No loss in strength that I can discern.

My surgeon was and still is the Denver Broncos team MD. Any time a player is injured, when I see him run out on the field and I say to anyone within earshot "there's my doctor!!"

He did my knee too, no recommendations for pain meds before PT for either.

Weird how they all have their different ways, eh? Maybe he just figured you're tougher than most? wink

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jar
Holy Moly , I had no idea this injury is so common ! thanks for all the input. it seems that everyone is basicly saying the same thing about the PT , as in do what they tell you. And to AJ300MAG . I send my best wishes to your granddaughter. that is way to young to be having such worries ! thanks again to all , been very informative for sure ! I start my therapy on tuesday morning, CAN NOT WAIT !!! lol.
My first doc told me it's very common injury as we age and put out a hand to stop our fall. I guess, in the non -doctor lingo, scheidt don't stretch as well as when we were younger and tendons and such just tear.

Do the PT religiously. And keep up with it at home even when they give you the OK to stop sessions.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Yeah, he's very perceptive.

Seriously though, they are tighter with opiods these days

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yeah, he's very perceptive.

Seriously though, they are tighter with opiods these days
Much.

I've got a long time script for a synthetic one, rarely take them as I don't like the effects, but they allow sleep at times. Pounding stakes today has my shoulder really upset tonight. Took a couple of tylenol first. Clinic I had been going to closed when their MD retired a few months back. Run by the hospital up the road in OR. My provider, PA or FNP I can never remember which, moved over to the clinic associated with our hospital/ER/care facility etc. They won't let him prescribe the synthetic ones even. Basically only give them out for end of life or terminal cancer patients now.

I think that first doc gave me a script for 50 oxycodones with instructions to "take as needed for pain".

In it is contentment

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Jar, I will add my 2 cents. I had the surgery 13 months ago. I estimate that I am about 95% healed at this point. Apparently I am luckier than some of you guys because I did not have a lot of pain. I dumped the pain killers after the first 48 hours. I had fatigue in the shoulder and arm and a serious loss of strength though.

Based on my experience, I can only offer the following:

Tylenol and ice are your friends.
PT is very important. Do everything they tell you. I went 3 times a week for about 6 weeks and I think it helped a lot.
If you have a sofa that reclines, that will help you sleep. A couple of hours of sleep sitting up, then when you need to shift, lay on your good side for and hope for a couple of hours more sleep, then repeat.
13 months later, I can do MOST physical tasks as before, but as Robb10238 said above, "repaired is NOT restored". I tried drawing my bow after I was done with PT. No way. I tried drawing my bow a few months later. No way. But I will keep working on it.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet." - George Washington
IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Be very careful - one of my younger brothers had both rotator cuffs repaired, the same year, then fell off a hay trailer before the second was fully healed. He wound up getting a shoulder replacement all at age 55.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by gunswizard
Take your pain meds half an hour before appointments and ice for half an hour afterwards.

You were prescribed enough pain medication to last through your PT sessions??

IMO this is not good advice. If PT is causing intense pain your therapist will want to know. And you want to be as lucid as possible when you're at your PT sessions so you can understand and remember what your therapist is telling you about your home exercise program.

And yes, I've had the surgery and been through PT for not only the rotator cuff but also major orthopedic surgeries on a knee, ankle, and wrist. Never was it recommended that I take pain medication before PT appointments and never was it necessary.
Actually My Dr and PT recommended to take pain killers before PT. I was told if you are in pain during PT you will not do the exercise correctly. If you do not do it correctly , you will not get full range of motion or mobility. My Orthopedic Surgeon said this is not a contest to see how much pain you can take, but how to heal correctly. More than one Doctor and PT has told me the same thing.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by skinnyjimmy
Jar, I will add my 2 cents. I had the surgery 13 months ago. I estimate that I am about 95% healed at this point. Apparently I am luckier than some of you guys because I did not have a lot of pain. I dumped the pain killers after the first 48 hours. I had fatigue in the shoulder and arm and a serious loss of strength though.

Based on my experience, I can only offer the following:

Tylenol and ice are your friends.
PT is very important. Do everything they tell you. I went 3 times a week for about 6 weeks and I think it helped a lot.
If you have a sofa that reclines, that will help you sleep. A couple of hours of sleep sitting up, then when you need to shift, lay on your good side for and hope for a couple of hours more sleep, then repeat.
13 months later, I can do MOST physical tasks as before, but as Robb10238 said above, "repaired is NOT restored". I tried drawing my bow after I was done with PT. No way. I tried drawing my bow a few months later. No way. But I will keep working on it.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Interesting about your bow and not being able to draw? Compound? 70 lb draw weight?

I have, and really had, no issues with my 55lb stick bow 6 or so months post surgery. I own the same model in 45lb draw and started with that after LOTS of similar movement with rubber bands and other exercises. I told them folks that was one thing I didn't want to lose.

Keep at it!

In it is contentment

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
AJ300

I was in PT for 6 months before I got the MRI. Don't do that! And yeah, the MRI is one of life's more miserable experiences, especially if one is in pain.

I advise her to get the MRI first, cuz PT ain't gonna help if surgery is needed- waste of time/money, and the sooner one finds out the extent of the problem, the better. Of course the therapist wants the business.....

It's kinda like starting reloading without knowing what or where all your components are!

I also wasn't taking my pain meds as prescribed after surgery (on blown knee, IIRC) and got my ass chewed out. Pain gets in the way of optimum healing they told me.

Use common sense, but not necessarily "tough guy".

Last edited by las; 05/18/23.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by las
AJ300

I was in PT for 6 months - no joy before I got the MRI. Don't do that!

I advise getting the MRI first, cuz PT ain't gonna help if surgery is needed- waste of time/money, and the sooner one finds out the extent of the problem, the better.

It's kinda like starting reloading without knowing what or where all your components are!

The only benefit I received by holding off on my first one, according to my surgeon, was that I probably helped my recovery by having all those muscle groups ready to recover quickly.

When the second one happened, at work, I had to fight with them to get the Workers' Comp process going and I knew what to do. Hearing that sumbitch pop, I knew exactly what happened and it was 3 months of fighting with work until the surgery was accomplished. I already knew what exercised to do to keep that shoulder loose.

In it is contentment

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by las
AJ300

I was in PT for 6 months before I got the MRI. Don't do that! And yeah, the MRI is one of life's more miserable experiences, especially if one is in pain.

I advise her to get the MRI first, cuz PT ain't gonna help if surgery is needed- waste of time/money, and the sooner one finds out the extent of the problem, the better. Of course the therapist wants the business.....

It's kinda like starting reloading without knowing what or where al your components are!

I also wasn't taking my pain meds as prescribed after surgery (on blown knee, IIRC) and got my ass chewed out. Pain gets in the way of optimum healing they told me.

Thank you and to the others who have replied to my post.
One of her biggest issues is that her parent's health insurance mandates that she does the PT protocol first before they'll pay for the MRI. Her concern is that once they have the MRI results she'll be benched, possibly until the first of the year. Like teens in general, she doesn't have a grasp of the permanent damage that she can cause to herself if she continues to aggravate her shoulders.
Poor kid got hit in her bicep by a pitch Tuesday. She was in excruciating pain, lost use/feelings in her hand. I asked if she knew what a stinger was, she said no. I told her now you do...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
AJ, most insurance is like that nowadays. There's a good chance if she goes to PT and it doesn't get better, the PT person will report that to the doc and they'll do the referral to the MRI.

And the PT person might tell her coach to bench her. Such is life as we old folks know.

Glad she got hit in the arm and not the noggin. Those are really being watched closely now...............and rightly so.

Again, best wishes for the young lady and I hope she gets that shoulder looked at soon.

In it is contentment

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
Originally Posted by las
AJ300

It's kinda like starting reloading without knowing what or where al your components are!

Thank you and to the others who have replied to my post.
One of her biggest issues is that her parent's health insurance mandates that she does the PT protocol first before they'll pay for the MRI. Her concern is that once they have the MRI results she'll be benched, possibly until the first of the year. Like teens in general, she doesn't have a grasp of the permanent damage that she can cause to herself if she continues to aggravate her shoulders.
Poor kid got hit in her bicep by a pitch Tuesday. She was in excruciating pain, lost use/feelings in her hand. I asked if she knew what a stinger was, she said no. I told her now you do...

Regardless of what the MRI indicates, the strengthening exercises will be a benefit. They could help her avoid or at least put off surgery, it worked for me. But if she needs surgery, having strenghthened the muscles that support the joint will help with her re-hab.

Good luck to the young lady.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1234, 56 invisible), 3,173 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,665
Posts18,534,104
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.