-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Fiberglass rake handle minus tines, with a little pointy dealy where the tines used to insert ,held it with gorilla glue.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
You could cut a small hickory sapling now, peel the bark off, and seal the ends. The benefit over a hoe handle is that it will be harder to break since no growth rings are cut through. It will take a couple years to completely dry though unless you leave it in a hot truck or car all summer. Right now, hickory should peel good. You could seal the ends with cheap super glue.

Last edited by RHClark; 05/17/23.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Dogwood makes a good walking stick, if you can find a reasonably straight piece. What makes it so good is the fact that it is harder than hickory and the more briars and bushes you hit with it, the smoother it gets.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I also use a staff in my outdoor activities due to bad knees
(torn meniscus repair in R knee). I did buy 2 ski poles at the Salvation Army Thrift Store for $5 and camoed them. Used the leather loop for a rifle hold to steady my sights. It was also useful in scratching in corn and cotton rows for Indian artifacts at a nearby mound. I also made a staff for me and the grandkids and carved an eagles head on the end. Straighten them out with steam and heat (an old wallpaper steamer/remover I also got from the SA Thrift) and stained them, wood burned their names on them. I’m fond of hickory and dogwood also. I have used persimmon. All are HARD. Dogwood was used to half sole sled runners that were pulled by mules round here in earlier times. I have made one or 2 for my doctors who love the outdoors. Great for duck hunters to check water depth and retrieve decoys. I have put a wall locker coat hook or a notch in the end to help grab decoy or trot lines. Killed quit a few snakes with them too. Mostly used for balance and to aid in getting up from a sitting position. Wish I could post pics.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
the stalk of a sotol plant makes a light yet strong staff

Last edited by RedRabbit; 05/18/23.
IC B2

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I bought a wooden walking staff in the Walmart fishing section of my local Walmart. Other than having to replace the tip once I have not had any other issues with it. Use it while hunting and fishing in rough areas in the mountains here in Idaho. Cost about $12.00.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
When I used to trap I always carried an oak Staff to help me walk / cross snowy creeks and dispatch things that needed dispatching.

I went mushroom hunting with a trekking pole and it didn’t feel right so now I’m thinking - hey a walking staff / stick whatnot would be great to take with me - not to mention how handy they can come in if I run into something that needs a conk on the head…

Wish someone made good walking staffs… I need to find an oak one again… but I’m not skilled at making such shenanigans

I have a bunch of rough cut oak I could probably make one if I know what you're wanting.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

96 members (35, 21, 358wsm, 6mmbrfan, 406_SBC, 10Glocks, 16 invisible), 1,487 guests, and 878 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,943
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.