Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
robthom Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
From the UK BBC business news section concerning the major telecoms company BT.

AI is expected / hoped to replace 55 thousand jobs and make the company more efficient and profitable.....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65631168

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Working people better start planning what they are going to be doing to earn a living in the future. If you got even 10 years left to work and think you will be replaced by anything you better have a plan. Young folk better get used to retraining throughout their work lives. The days of doing the same thing all your life are mostly over for the majority of jobs. If it doesn't take a human to preform the task then technology will surely catch up to you and bite you in the arse. They can bitch and fight it all they want but they better have a plan. You will not stop it.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
AI computer trading AI stocks so it can invest more in AI. We know how this ends.

[Linked Image from media.tenor.com]

Quando omni flunkus moritati
R
robthom Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Just imagine self learning, semi self aware - re Turing test, program that considers itself, like Medieval Popes to be correct / have divine guidance.....

All those computers and databases of the WWW, running in parallel etc. will soon be able to 'think' quicker, make fewer mistakes than humans. Even if we implanted a trap door / Achilles heel in the program algorithm architecture to weaken it and protect humanity, how long before it was smart enough to work it out, identify it and remove it?

I think I am with Elon Musk on this, whoa there boy, lets stop and rethink. There have ben mixed messages from the Microsoft former head of AI research, but all appear to be suggesting caution in proceeding too far, too fast.

This is not Caxton, and others, invention of the manual printing press and look how that spun out and how futile the Pope's attempts to control it were.

Continuous professional development : keeping up to date of developments within ones own filed is expected for practicing engineers and scientists. I agree with the idea of whole life learning.

However, I can see much of the work used to train engineers - gain experience of their field being lost to automated, digital systems which, on aggregate, are cheaper in the middle - longer term. Just tell the machine what code they are designing to , what the structure or element is, provide an initial geometry / size then the program will search out the required information and perform optimizing / sensitivity analyses.

In truth, human history did this already - have an idea, build it, it falls down then rebuild it differently and see what happens.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There's already been a story out about a guy using AI to work FOUR remote jobs at the same time. grin

I'm here to increase my social credit score and rub elbows with some of the highest rollers on the internet.
IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The new world order is coming, phase 1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's not just "working people". At this point, today, AI produces better results in medical diagnostics AND legal reviews than docs and lawyers. Imagine investing 500K and 10 years in an education in medicine at this point in time. Engineers are going to be on the bubble, too.

It's not just truck drivers and customer service folks.

Won't be long and it'll be like England where docs make considerably less than plumbers.....

I imagine farmers are pretty safe, for now, however. No intelligence to replace.... wink

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You can spin up your own AI, without the politically correct filters, on a home system or AWS. Teach it to do anything you want, including world domination.

https://erichartford.com/uncensored-models

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
AI does not actually exist. A person still has to write the code. Sounds like we'll need more programmers.

Life will be interesting when one has to challenge or question some functions.

1Minute
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I guess get a job "coding" is now off the table? those poor Keystone pipeline guys can't get a break.... frown

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
IC B3

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by 1minute
AI does not actually exist. A person still has to write the code. Sounds like we'll need more programmers.

Yes and no. AI can write code. Can't use it at work, yet, but I've started playing with it at home, and it can puke out workable code for simple projects very quickly, but as you add complexity you still need a human to sometimes fix and optimize the code.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by irfubar
I guess get a job "coding" is now off the table? those poor Keystone pipeline guys can't get a break.... frown

I used to work in finance until technology took my job. I'm back in Finance, but for about the last 8 years, on the code writing side of finance. Finance is moving toward those who can automate and innovate, and those who are unemployed. I know what side of that equation I want to be on.

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 05/19/23.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

Yes and no. AI can write code. Can't use it at work, yet, but I've started playing with it at home, and it can puke out workable code for simple projects very quickly, but as you add complexity you still need a human to sometimes fix and optimize the code.

Today.... tomorrow, it will make the majority of the produce nothing workers obsolete..... A.I. is evolving at light speed

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
it can puke out workable code for simple projects very quickly, but as you add complexity you still need a human to sometimes fix and optimize the code.

So it can replace outsourced coders? India should worry.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Yep. I believe that it's already capable of writing simple HW drivers given a spec that's written well (and anyone in the industry knows how often a spec is well written if it exists at all).

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I used to work in finance until technology took my job. I'm back in Finance, but for about the last 8 years, on the code writing side of finance. Finance if moving toward those who can automate and innovate, and those who are unemployed. I know what side of that equation I want to be on.

My son in law is a codewriter extraordinaire.... has the success & $ to prove it.... he uses A.I. many times a day for different task... he no longer has to hire a guy in India to do the menial stuff for him anymore

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
AI needs to replace these friggen idiots that get elected to " run this country"

Rehab is for quitters!
THEY are all guilty!
Name one honest politician!
DEFINE Treason.
God bless the USA
Democrats ARE the plague!
RINO'S need to be hunted!
Who's a bigger puzzy than Paul Ryan? Mike Pence? John Kerry ?
REELECT NOBODY! Except Trump
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I used to work in finance until technology took my job. I'm back in Finance, but for about the last 8 years, on the code writing side of finance. Finance if moving toward those who can automate and innovate, and those who are unemployed. I know what side of that equation I want to be on.

My son in law is a codewriter extraordinaire.... has the success & $ to prove it.... he uses A.I. many times a day for different task... he no longer has to hire a guy in India to do the menial stuff for him anymore

My kid's an IT nazi. He's not a great coder, but uses AI to write python scripts to do some of the mundane stuff, too.

If I hadn't retired from SW recently I would probably had leveraged AI to write stuff, too.

Carpe' Scrotum
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by DryPowder
There's already been a story out about a guy using AI to work FOUR remote jobs at the same time. grin
You gotta love an entrepreneur! Somebody will get kissed about it, but if the jobs are getting done satisfactorily, I don’t see a problem.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Originally Posted by DryPowder
You gotta love an entrepreneur! Somebody will get kissed about it, but if the jobs are getting done satisfactorily, I don’t see a problem.

True... but when the person who writes his paycheck finds out... he will simply eliminate the employee and utilize A.I. himself.... wink

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (219DW, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 1OntarioJim, 70 invisible), 2,982 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,677
Posts18,534,241
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.