Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Personal relationship, not revelation... and the only way it's one sided or a delusional is if God doesn't exist.

Kent

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
The idea of a “personal relationship “ with God has been tossed around for centuries. Yet, there isn’t really any direction from the apostles or teachings from Christ which speak to that concept.

From this teaching we have ideas like living closer, being sold out, fully committed and a lot of other like teachings that out emphasis on self and performance and standing based on human action. It is certainly arguable the emphasis on relationship actually detracts us from truly looking to and relying upon Christ.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
He does exist.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by IZH27
The idea of a “personal relationship “ with God has been tossed around for centuries. Yet, there isn’t really any direction from the apostles or teachings from Christ which speak to that concept.

From this teaching we have ideas like living closer, being sold out, fully committed and a lot of other like teachings that out emphasis on self and performance and standing based on human action. It is certainly arguable the emphasis on relationship actually detracts us from truly looking to and relying upon Christ.

Jesus spoke of God as Father, a concept unknown at the time and considered blasphemy. Jesus was often in trouble for making himself equal with God according to his accusers. Jesus prayed that everyone born again would be one with him just as he and his father were one. The entire purpose of Jesus dying was to make a way for those born again to become one with God hearing from him personally, at least according to Hebrews.

Unless you mean something else entirely by your term of "Personal Relationship", I would say your hypothesis about personal relationship not being taught is incorrect, and that the exact opposite is thoroughly supported.

Last edited by RHClark; 05/21/23.
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K

Wrong... that's what happens when you pervert your mind with untold number of man's theologies.

Kent

IC B2

Ringman Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Jesus says,
"'He who loves father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me; and he who loves son or daughter more than Me is not worth of Me. And he who does not take his cross and follow after Me is not worth of Me.'"

"'Again the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant seeking fine pearls, and upon finding one pearl of great value, he went and sold all that he had and bought it.'"

"'The kingdom of heaven is like a treasure hidden in a field, which a man found and hid; and from joy over it he goes and sells all that he has and buys that field.'"

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
“The Holy Spirit is not a Sceptic, nor are what He has written on our hearts doubts or opinions, but assertions more certain, and more firm, than life itself and all human experience.” - Martin Luther

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I’ll rest in the promises of Christ, constantly renewed thorough receiving His body and blood, the Baptism into His Death and the receiving of the Holy Spirit as a seal of all that has been given us in Christ. I’ll rely on the promises and unchanging word of God given to us through Christ. This is Union with Christ in his death.

Whatever you envision a relationship with Christ to be more power to you. The ideation of the concept is anchored soundly in the individualism of the enlightenment. One again we have evidence of human philosophy being adopted and added to the reality of Christ as though it could be.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Ringman

Jesus says,
"'He who loves father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me; and he who loves son or daughter more than Me is not worth of Me. And he who does not take his cross and follow after Me is not worth of Me.'"

"'Again the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant seeking fine pearls, and upon finding one pearl of great value, he went and sold all that he had and bought it.'"

"'The kingdom of heaven is like a treasure hidden in a field, which a man found and hid; and from joy over it he goes and sells all that he has and buys that field.'"

I have no idea what you are trying to say. What idea are you trying to support with your posted scriptures?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Jesus Himself said He was leaving us with another Comforter to abide with us forever, the Holy Spirit, the Spirit of Truth, John 14:16-17. The Holy Spirit is also the Helper, John 15:26. The Holy Spirit is also our Guide, John 16:13. How can there not be a personal relationship?

We develop a personal relationship as the Holy Spirit indwells us as we try to live holy lives and be transformed into the image of Jesus. The Holy Spirit is the means by which we live a Godly life, and the Holy Spirit identifies us with Jesus and baptizes us into the Body of Christ.

Believers receive the FREE gift of the Holy Spirit when we believe the gospel of grace, Ephesians 5:18, Colossians 1:9, and then we walk in the indwelling of the Holy Spirit, Romans 1:8, Galatians 5:16.

The Holy Spirit, the Spirit of God, guides and controls us in wisdom, knowledge, and truth, Galatians 5:16-26. It’s hard to do, but as believers of Jesus, we try to live a spirit-controlled life with the help of the indwelling Holy Spirit.

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I’ll rest in the promises of Christ, constantly renewed thorough receiving His body and blood, the Baptism into His Death and the receiving of the Holy Spirit as a seal of all that has been given us in Christ. I’ll rely on the promises and unchanging word of God given to us through Christ. This is Union with Christ in his death.

Whatever you envision a relationship with Christ to be more power to you. The ideation of the concept is anchored soundly in the individualism of the enlightenment. One again we have evidence of human philosophy being adopted and added to the reality of Christ as though it could be.

What human philosophy is adopted and added to the reality of Christ? Isn't the entire reality of Christ based on God becoming man?

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Originally Posted by Simplepeddler
I do believe there are modern day apostles.

I do not believe this current pope is one of them.
Like the first apostles, the Pope is not impeccable, but he has the authority of apostolic succession through the laying of hands by others in the line of succession. That is something that is lacked by sects founded after the Reformation. He is by definition an apostle.

Hate to say it but I disagree.

The whore of Babylon. Scarlet and purple. Bedecked in precious stones and gold.

HE couldn't say it any more plainly, "Call no one on earth father, for your Father is in Heaven".

Many worship the Church at the expense of HIS Word. There is a reason HE gave us HIS word of instruction in the Holy Bible. HE didn't want believers having a "great gnashing of teeth".

Last edited by jaguartx; 05/21/23.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

There has to be a balance between God’s Word and the Holy Spirit Spirit of God. God gave us revelation and truth through His Word and speaks by His Spirit through His Word. The Word should not be minimized or diminished by placing the priority of the Holy Spirit over the Word or vice-versa.

The Word of God has the same importance as the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit inspired the Word, administers the Word, and speaks through the Word. The Word is the God-appointed way the Holy Spirit works, and the Holy Spirit doesn’t lead us away from scripture, but to scripture, John 17:17.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by WhiteTail48

There has to be a balance between God’s Word and the Holy Spirit Spirit of God. God gave us revelation and truth through His Word and speaks by His Spirit through His Word. The Word should not be minimized or diminished by placing the priority of the Holy Spirit over the Word or vice-versa.

The Word of God has the same importance as the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit inspired the Word, administers the Word, and speaks through the Word. The Word is the God-appointed way the Holy Spirit works, and the Holy Spirit doesn’t lead us away from scripture, but to scripture, John 17:17.

The Holy Spirit is The Spirit of Truth. He should always lead into truth, even in our interpretation and understanding of scripture. The HS will help us to examine ourselves truthfully. Sometimes we find that we interpret and understand scripture differently depending on what we are looking for. The HS will help us to know if we are using scripture in a way to promote our own desires if we view everything through absolute truth.

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
13“I am coming to you now, but I say these things while I am still in the world, so that they may have the full measure of my joy within them. 14I have given them your word and the world has hated them, for they are not of the world any more than I am of the world. 15My prayer is not that you take them out of the world but that you protect them from the evil one. 16They are not of the world, even as I am not of it. 17Sanctify them by d the truth; your word is truth. 18As you sent me into the world, I have sent them into the world. 19For them I sanctify myself, that they too may be truly sanctified.

The Word is the trinity... God, Christ, Holy Spirit... In this very verse Jesus came as the Word and gave the disciples the Holt Spirit (Word).

Scripture was not addressed in this prayer Jesus prayed.

Kent

Ringman Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RHClark

Jesus says,

I have no idea what you are trying to say. What idea are you trying to support with your posted scriptures?

We have a closer relation with Jesus than we do with our family.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by krp
13“I am coming to you now, but I say these things while I am still in the world, so that they may have the full measure of my joy within them. 14I have given them your word and the world has hated them, for they are not of the world any more than I am of the world. 15My prayer is not that you take them out of the world but that you protect them from the evil one. 16They are not of the world, even as I am not of it. 17Sanctify them by d the truth; your word is truth. 18As you sent me into the world, I have sent them into the world. 19For them I sanctify myself, that they too may be truly sanctified.

The Word is the trinity... God, Christ, Holy Spirit... In this very verse Jesus came as the Word and gave the disciples the Holt Spirit (Word).

Kent

No.
Scripture is very clear that the Holy Spirit, as we understand the indwelling entity, arrived at Pentecost, as told in Acts. Jesus is saying that he is taking away sins by his sacrifice. That's what sanctification is.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by RHClark

Jesus says,

We have a closer relation with Jesus than we do with our family.

Thanks. I agree that is as it should be.

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
There are 2 beasts. One of the land and one out of the sea. One of the holy see with 7 heads and 10 crowns. Who is it that arises out of the Holy Sea?

Who claims the title of Father on earth and above all others? Who does the world bow down to and worship?

Who controls the economy of the world. It hasn't been GOD, but it's fixing to be.

GOD is moving now to take the Beast of Modern Babylon down. I expect we have seen the last pope.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Someone has a malevolent grin and another just got the worst news he ever heard, he got the Word.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][WORD.

[url=https://postimages.org/][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by jaguartx; 05/21/23.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

You seem to be a believer of Jesus, but I don’t understand why you continue over and over to downplay and almost dismiss God’s Word. By doing so, you obviously are rejecting it and thus, rejecting Jesus, as Jesus is the Word.

“Every scripture is God-breathed and beneficial for doctrine, for proof, for correction, for instruction on righteousness, so the man of God may be ready, having been fully equipped for every good work.” 2 Timothy 3:15-16

God’s Word has a divine source. Humans penned the God-breathed Bible, and God is the author. Scripture comes from God, not men. Men wrote according to God’s instructions with the assistance of the Holy Spirit.

Jesus Himself said, “man will not live by bread alone but on every word coming from the mouth of God”, Matthew 4:4. Jesus is the Word, John 1:1, and the Word gives us insight into Jesus.

Why don’t you rejoice and delight in God’s Word as much as you do in God’s Spirit? The God’s Holy Spirit can’t be separated from God’s Holy Word. You seem to be pitting one against the other by advocating one over the other.

I would think it’s a mighty dangerous thing to reject the sufficiency of God’s Word. The Holy Spirit leads us to truth, including God’s Word, which has Jesus at the very center, 2 Peter 1:16-21. Until Jesus returns, scripture is the testimony of God.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

523 members (1Longbow, 10ring1, 1234, 257wthbylover, 1minute, 68 invisible), 2,268 guests, and 1,168 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,125
Posts18,502,458
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.