Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
My bride and I are throwing ideas around for the first few years of our retirement. One of the ideas is buying an RV (used, of course) and exploring awhile. We want to establish residency in another state (most likely Florida) so I’m thinking about buying an unimproved lot with an address for that purpose.

Anyone ever do this? And before you FLA folks start bitching about an Oregonian, realize that I’m most likely more conservative than any of you.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
My bride and I are throwing ideas around for the first few years of our retirement. One of the ideas is buying an RV (used, of course) and exploring awhile. We want to establish residency in another state (most likely Florida) so I’m thinking about buying an unimproved lot with an address for that purpose.

Anyone ever do this? And before you FLA folks start bitching about an Oregonian, realize that I’m most likely more conservative than any of you.

P

I am wondering if a structure has to be on the land to warrant that? Hint don't move to Florida and it has nothing to do with being from Oregon.

Florida Statute § 196.012 defines a permanent residence as “that place where a person has his or her true, fixed, and permanent home and principal establishment to which, whenever absent, he or she has the intention of returning.”

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
I don’t see why not if that meets the requirements. It’s your retirement

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

P

I am wondering if a structure has to be on the land to warrant that? Hint don't move to Florida and it has nothing to do with being from Oregon.
Why would that be necessary?

A person moving in with a trailer and renting a space in mobile home park still gets residency privileges after the appropriate time.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
I don't know about Florida, but in Colorado you can't claim residency unless you have a permanent structure to live in. You have to show proof of a mailing address which requires a building department to issue an address...which is only done when you have an approved structure to live in.

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
In TN you can get an address without any structures. It’s actually a prerequisite to get a building permit.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm
I don't know about Florida, but in Colorado you can't claim residency unless you have a permanent structure to live in. You have to show proof of a mailing address which requires a building department to issue an address...which is only done when you have an approved structure to live in.

Are you saying that a person who decides to live in a trailer park cannot claim residency after the appointed time?

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Proof of residency varies, but an active mailing address, utilities, rent or mortgage, property tax, and a drivers license are among the requisites. I’m betting a vacant lot with no abode won’t get you there. Research what is required to get a drivers license and resident hunting/fishing license and you should be established as long as you don’t work in another state.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
https://www.stateofflorida.com/residency/

Florida Residency

There are many topics and issues related to Florida residency and becoming a Florida resident. Below are some examples where "residency" is referenced in Florida Statutes.

Florida Identification Card and Driver License Information
(includes U.S. citizen and non-United States citizen)

General Information: Manifesting and evidencing domicile in Florida
(Chapter 222.17, F.S. — Homestead and Exemptions)

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services

New to Florida or considering our state for your future home?
See our Moving to Florida section for additional resources and information.

None of the information provided below by State of Florida.com should be used for legal purposes and no warranty is made regarding its accuracy or completeness. This information is presented for reference and informal purposes only. You should review the actual Florida Statutes and consult a legal professional for guidance regarding your particular situation. Note that references below are excerpts or may be incomplete, incorrect or may be out of context and are provided as examples for use in seeking more complete information. See State of Florida.com Disclaimer & Terms of Use for full Disclaimer & Terms of Use related to information on the State of Florida.com web site.

Florida Statutes, Chapter 222
HOMESTEAD AND EXEMPTIONS
Method Of Setting Apart Homestead And Exemptions
222.17 Manifesting and evidencing domicile in Florida

(1) Any person who shall have established a domicile in this state may manifest and evidence the same by filing in the office of the clerk of the circuit court for the county in which the said person shall reside, a sworn statement showing that he or she resides in and maintains a place of abode in that county which he or she recognizes and intends to maintain as his or her permanent home.

(2) Any person who shall have established a domicile in the State of Florida, but who shall maintain another place or places of abode in some other state or states, may manifest and evidence his or her domicile in this state by filing in the office of the clerk of the circuit court for the county in which he or she resides, a sworn statement that his or her place of abode in Florida constitutes his or her predominant and principal home, and that he or she intends to continue it permanently as such.

(Note: This is not a complete statute. See full and complete Florida Statutes for additional information.)

TAXATION AND FINANCE
Florida Statutes, Chapter 196
[Property Tax; homestead exemption]

196.015 Permanent residency; factual determination by property appraiser. — Intention to establish a permanent residence in this state is a factual determination to be made, in the first instance, by the property appraiser. Although any one factor is not conclusive of the establishment or non-establishment of permanent residence, the following are relevant factors that may be considered by the property appraiser in making his or her determination as to the intent of a person claiming a homestead exemption to establish a permanent residence in this state:

(1) A formal declaration of domicile by the applicant recorded in the public records of the county in which the exemption is being sought.

(2) Evidence of the location where the applicant's dependent children are registered for school.

(3) The place of employment of the applicant.

(4) The previous permanent residency by the applicant in a state other than Florida or in another country and the date non-Florida residency was terminated.

(5) Proof of voter registration in this state with the voter information card address of the applicant, or other official correspondence from the supervisor of elections providing proof of voter registration, matching the address of the physical location where the exemption is being sought.

(6) A valid Florida driver's license issued under s. 322.18 or a valid Florida identification card issued under s. 322.051 and evidence of relinquishment of driver's licenses from any other states.

(7) Issuance of a Florida license tag on any motor vehicle owned by the applicant.

(8) The address as listed on federal income tax returns filed by the applicant.

(9) The location where the applicant's bank statements and checking accounts are registered.

(10) Proof of payment for utilities at the property for which permanent residency is being claimed.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
https://rvlife.com/florida-domicile-rv/

Apparently it’s quite common. We don’t want to establish in an RV park.

p

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Regarding FL, why not buy a lot in park? For example I owned an RV lot for years in a park, a deeded lot. Had full hookups, nice concrete pad, shed etc. Paid property tax. If I had wanted I could easily have claimed my residence there. I have since soldthe lot and bought a home in the park. My primary residence is PA but I could claim FL if needed.

Heaven has a wall, a gate and strict immigration policy.

Hell has open borders.

Let that sink in.....

I Live for Opening Day!
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
https://rvlife.com/florida-domicile-rv/

Apparently it’s quite common. We don’t want to establish in an RV park.

p

I guess if you have a relative or friend that has a physical address no problem.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I think you’ll have to show that you stay in Florida 183 days per year to avoid Oregon income tax. You will probably want to register vehicles and get a Florida license. You might need to receive your mail there and then register to vote.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
a lot of RV'rs use So Dakota as their residence, in fact there is a business called mailbox express in Rapid City you go in sign up for a mail box stay a day or 2 and it becomes you residence for legal matters such as insurance , registration etc. the only catch is since you are given a PO Box you will not be allowed to purchase guns because you have to have a normal address. we did that for awhile then bought a 1/2 acre and put an rv spot on it for a few years then bought acreage and a house and now live here and love it

P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

P

I'll be in a similar situation after I sell my house in LA. I won't own or rent a residence. I do own a lot in TN, but that's not enough to establish residency. With a tax receipt for my property and a bank account in the state, I can register to vote. With those boxes checked, I can get a driver's license. Once that is done I am a resident.

It will vary from state to state.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
You better talk to a tax attorney. I doubt what you’re considering would constitute residency in the low tax state.
I friend has a home in Mn and Fla. Both are permanent structures. He keeps detailed records and gas receipts to prove he was in Fla more than six months per year. Saves him $60 grand plus per year, plus inheritance tax when he dies.

Last edited by dale06; 05/21/23.

NRA Patron
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
In TN you can get an address without any structures. It’s actually a prerequisite to get a building permit.

You can do the same in NV, but it in no way qualifies as a permanent residence. My west hay field has an address. I guess the gophers would qualify as permanent residents.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Idaho requires that you physically live there for 6 months to be a resident.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Idaho requires that you physically live there for 6 months to be a resident.
Is one allowed to leave the state for work or vacation while "physically living" there and still establish residency?

In it is contentment

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (1936M71, 1OntarioJim, 10Glocks, 1minute, 1234, 117LBS, 58 invisible), 2,491 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,878
Posts18,518,151
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.