Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I don't know if this one has been brought up here before, but pick it apart. I seem to remember someone here saying some of the sellers on gunbroker don't know what they have. This is the case with this rifle.

270 featherweight

AK's probably seen this one and shook his head..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
One of those elusive Featherlights, and a Supergrade to boot! Wow, those are rare, they didn't make very many in '68! I'm surprised he doesn't have it priced commensurate to its rareness, maybe the only one made that year?

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
A 1968 CRF. Not likely.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
The classic sn range always gets a few on GB.

BSA, the rifle you linked is a nice early “script” fw; I’ll be interested to see what it brings in this market.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Anybody ever seen a factory Classic (cursive) Featherweight with a standard Featherweight stock and regular swivel posts that had a “Super Grade” engraved bottom metal?

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Nope. Not that left the factory that way anyway. But it’s an easy swap.

There are custom shop classic featherweights out there.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

What do you think of the seller saying it is "C&R eligible"?

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I guess the seller thinks it is over 50 years old and “rare”?
Update: looks like he corrected his error in the gun broker ad

Last edited by GAGoober; 05/22/23.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

Off topic on this but….. have you ever seen any Custom Shop Classic Stainless 70 Featherweights?

Last edited by GAGoober; 05/22/23.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
LOL funny, good post.

I remember the post to which you are referring quite well BSA. Lots of differences between this seller and that one.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BKinSD
LOL funny, good post.

I remember the post to which you are referring quite well BSA. Lots of differences between this seller and that one.

Ok, I wish I could remember, but it seemed like a similar rifle??

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
The classic sn range always gets a few on GB.

BSA, the rifle you linked is a nice early “script” fw; I’ll be interested to see what it brings in this market.

I will too. A cool rifle that is described way wrong. I'm sure the guys that are bidding on it, know what it is. I'd probably change the floor plate out to an original. As it's not a "Supergrade". Not that my rifles are all original by any means, but that rifle is dang near all complete, except for that feature. What say you? Hopefully the guys bidding on it, know that rifle can't be sent to a C&R.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Not alot of similarities in the gun anyway. That one was a SG FW pre 64 .270 being sold as part of an estate in Michigan by the personal rep of the estate. The guy didn't market it as being anything special. If anything he undersold what he had or purportedly had. I was just thinking about that gun the other day and wondering where it went. I'd love to take that stock off and see what's under it.

This seller by name anyway seems to be in the industry at least, and should know better anyway. And seems to have terribly oversold what the gun is, he's just flat wrong about it in so many ways as you know.

I don't know about the script on the floor plate. Someone educate me on that? The only post 64 I own is a 270 FW that my folks presented me at my HS graduation in 1986.

Last edited by BKinSD; 05/22/23.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by GAGoober

Off topic on this but….. have you ever seen any Custom Shop Classic Stainless 70 Featherweights?
Not that I have ever seen, and I have looked. But it wouldn’t surprise me. Especially later. They did a ton of custom shop variations towards the end.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Not alot of similarities in the gun anyway. That one was a SG FW pre 64 .270 being sold as part of an estate in Michigan by the personal rep of the estate. The guy didn't market it as being anything special. If anything he undersold what he had or purportedly had. I was just thinking about that gun the other day and wondering where it went. I'd love to take that stock off and see what's under it.

This seller by name anyway seems to be in the industry at least, and should know better anyway. And seems to have terribly oversold what the gun is, he's just flat wrong about it in so many ways as you know.

I don't know about the script on the floor plate. Someone educate me on that? The only post 64 I own is a 270 FW that my folks presented me at my HS graduation in 1986.
Was the first supergrade you referenced the one that was being sold by the sheriff’s department?

Regarding the script that I referenced - it’s the “featherweight” in script on those first year classics; sn all under G50xxx. It changed to the standard block lettering after the first year.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I think the guy was a police officer or something of the sort, yes. That rings a bell.

I never knew about the script...thanks for schooling me.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I think the guy was a police officer or something of the sort, yes. That rings a bell.

I never knew about the script...thanks for schooling me.
👍
I remember that gun. The guy who passed was an avid gun guy and the department handled the sales. There was speculation that it was some sort of scam because they were new sellers to GunBroker, but the guy had a lot of really nice stuff that went reasonably.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Was the first supergrade you referenced the one that was being sold by the sheriff’s department?

Regarding the script that I referenced - it’s the “featherweight” in script on those first year classics; sn all under G50xxx. It changed to the standard block lettering after the first year.

That part is collectible as hell. Don't see them like that too often at all. The push feed XTR and post XTR was the first ones they scribed featherweight in cursive writing.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

AK, do you know the first year they started doing that? 1986 or what?? Although, the classic is not in full cursive. It actually looks better than the cursive scribed ones.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I do not think my 85-86ish FW has that on it but I will look tonight.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

That part is collectible as hell. Don't see them like that too often at all. The push feed XTR and post XTR was the first ones they scribed featherweight in cursive writing.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

AK, do you know the first year they started doing that? 1986 or what?? Although, the classic is not in full cursive. It actually looks better than the cursive scribed ones.
‘90 ish. I think someone reported they had an ‘89 by sn that was marked as such in another thread, but I can’t find it to verify right now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

73 members (808outdoors, 2500HD, 7mm_Loco, 257robertsimp, BALLISTIK, 11 invisible), 1,383 guests, and 787 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,496
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.