Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I think the Busch light was flowing freely last night.

GB1

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Or something …..😳

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
One reason for groups being smaller with copper bullets is unlike some lead-cores, they're perfectly balanced, due to not having jackets that can vary slightly in thickness.

If you want to talk about electron-flow as a potential piece of the puzzle, you should contact Bryan Litz. He's the guy with the degree in aerospace engineering.

sounds good i will try to get a hold Mr. LITZ Thank you,Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Just finished chapter 27. Knew there was a reason I lie pump guns! 👍

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
OK! Eileen kinda likes 'em too, owning five 20-gauge pumps, along with a couple 16s....

By the way, my old friend Tom Gresham just interviewed me again a couple hours ago on his Gun Talk national radio show (https://www.guntalk.com/gun-talk-radio). Rifle powders and temperature was his primary theme for the interview, though we talked about some other stuff too. It's a pretty entertaining show--in large part because Tom is another rifle loony.....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by mathman
I think the Busch light was flowing freely last night.

Haha. Busch Lattes, old Son!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
John, you magnificent writer, I READ YOUR BOOK!

Well done sir!

My .250 Savage is a magnificent shooter, so was my .358 Winchester in the Ruger 77. grin You wrote about a number of paths I've traveled, thanks for the flashbacks!

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

Well done sir!

My .250 Savage is a magnificent shooter, so was my .358 Winchester in the Ruger 77. grin You wrote about a number of paths I've traveled, thanks for the flashbacks!

i feel the same way with his books he has written , i also really like the past history of guns and stuff John writes about . thanks John !

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Are those prescription or "reading"? Had my cataracts taken care of a couple years ago, and since then have collected quite an array of cheap readers of varying power, scattered all over the house....
One reason I have not had cataracts removed is, I was concerned that I’d have to alert a break in shooting.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

Well done sir!

Thanks very much, General Dan! (Yes, I know where the paraphrase came from.)

Glad you enjoyed the book--and flashbacks.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Another Mule Deer NON-info post.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by pete53
yes almost seems groups are more consistently smaller with copper bullets, and i wonder if ballistics has anyone ever done a study on copper bullet ballistics compared to lead bullets ? or is that a question for Mr. Litz ? electrons will flow thru copper easier than lead so would that matter thru air ,temp even wind making copper a better bullet ? or hasn`t there been much work done on that yet . or bullet pressure thru a barrel with different types of metal bullets ? i know armor piercing bullets gives a lot of pressure ,so would copper bullets give less pressure than normal lead bullets ? i am not sure i am asking the right kinda of questions about copper bullets ? maybe i should call you ? thanks,Pete53

It is a little difficult to decode Pete53's questions. But I will do my best. Maybe he will come back and clarify if I have misinterpreted.

It seems Mr Pete is referring to the well known phenomenon of Copper bullets shooting a little higher than cup and core with the same powder charge. An issue we have known about since the first Barnes X was introduced to hand loaders.

And while it appears he is correctly assuming this change in impact is a result of increased velocity. I think he is making the common assumption that this increase is due to a "slicker" bullet.

Higher velocities with same weight bullets and same powder charge are due to higher barrel pressures, which can result from higher engraving resistance or lower lubricity of the jacket.

Velocity with a common powder, is directly correlated to pressure. And directly resultant to area under the pressure curve.

It is commonly known that Copper bullets produce higher pressure in the barrel than cup and core. Copper is a little "stickier" than is gilding metal, and a solid Copper bullet has more resistance to deformation to fit the interior contours of the barrel.

Barnes introduced their Triple shock X bullets, and other manufacturers have introduce similarly banded solid bullets to partially defeat this characteristic.

Get a chronograph, clock the loads, and adjust your powder charge to give the velocity appropriate to the bullet and powder choice.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

82 members (257robertsimp, 10gaugemag, BamaCKC, 300_savage, AussieGunWriter, 10 invisible), 1,205 guests, and 724 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,863
Posts18,497,233
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.