Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
My bride and I are throwing ideas around for the first few years of our retirement. One of the ideas is buying an RV (used, of course) and exploring awhile. We want to establish residency in another state (most likely Florida) so I’m thinking about buying an unimproved lot with an address for that purpose.

Anyone ever do this? And before you FLA folks start bitching about an Oregonian, realize that I’m most likely more conservative than any of you.

P
Residency for what purpose?

I could avoid 6% sales tax on my next major purchase, if I could show Oregon residency. But I would have to actually LIVE in Oregon for six months.

Lots of folks get caught trying to establish residency for purchase of fishing or hunting license and tags. But again, they are subject to prosecution if they have not actually resided in the state for the requisite months.

Some used to bounce back and forth over the Idaho/Oregon border. Then they bought resident license in both states. But the game commissions started comparing lists and those guys started getting busted.

A Great Uncle got busted many years ago at a game check station with an Idaho resident license. He was driving an automobile with Wa plates.

Just a few humorous anecdotes I have seen. Not insinuating you have nefarious intent.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by CashisKing
If I had property in Florida... and I liked you... I would give you a rental agreement that you could take to DMV for a DL. With a DL you could Register to Vote/claim residency et al.

$1 a year kinda thing.

FYI... Florida DMVs suck donkey balls (or at least they used to).

Then buy land however you see fit independent of whatever.

Do you have property in Florida?

Do you like me?

I have a dollar.

P

Sorry no real estate in Florida... Used to live aboard a ketch there... and had a FL DL... many years ago.

DeFlave lives there... he loves folks from Oregon... I am sure he can hook you up.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
I see references to Oregon tax rates. I can understand. I have paid Oregon State income Tax every year since 1976. And I have never lived in the state.

But no more. My SS check comes to the house in Idaho. My pension check comes to the house in Idaho. Momma's SS comes to Idaho. After 2023, I never have to prepare an Oregon return again. Yeehaw.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
L
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
L
Check into what the state defines as legal residence/domicile.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Residency for what purpose?

Years ago, the area around Rupert, iD was a pheasant mecca (before pivot sprinklers). At that time the fine for not having a license was less than the cost of a non-res license. Huge numbers of Salt Lake hunters would drive to Idaho to hunt pheasants and wouldn't buy a license at all. Getting caught was cheaper than being legal and most didn't get caught. The IDFG finally figured it out and jacked the fines way up, as it should be.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I know SC DNR licensing regs specifically address what constitutes residence status as applies to getting resident hunting and fishing (especially commercial fishing) licenses. Can't recall details. Don't know what else it applies to.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
We used Americas Mailbox in Box Elder South Dakota for 5 years when we were full-timers. They have a rv park and motel to take care of business Drivers License office is close by in Rapid City, stay a few nights and you become a South Dakota Resident. We moved every 5-6 months working Rv Parks. They are very dependable no problems ever with mail deliver anywhere you go it was on time. We have settled down now so don't use them anymore would use them again if needed.

MAC Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm
I don't know about Florida, but in Colorado you can't claim residency unless you have a permanent structure to live in. You have to show proof of a mailing address which requires a building department to issue an address...which is only done when you have an approved structure to live in.

Colorado actually put that law in place because of hunting tags. They had people who were not CO residents buying small pieces of property and then putting in for the premium hunting tags as residents. One guy drew a sheep tag that way and the state began cracking down when word got out. Some of the harder to get tags can take 10 or 12 more points for a non-res than a res hunter so there was an incentive to game the system. I have owned property in CO for years that as an actual address but I don't want to risk trying to pull something off. I have 26 elk points and wouldn't want them negated by trying to pull a fast one.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
We want out of Oregon. Taxes, politics, unfunded mandates, drugs, you name it.

Got no problem spending 183 days out of the year in Florida.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
We wanted to do that in MT for various reasons. In the end I registered my LLC with the State and was able to realize a few benefits.

No hunting licenses or supressors though, but I haven't looked into that yet.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I moved to FL four years ago partially to escape state income taxes. I have a home in MS also. I discussed it with my accountant before moving and he told me that for income tax purposes what determines your residency are your driver's license and voter's registration. To get a driver's license in FL they're going to want to see some proof of domicile, I showed them my lease and power bill which satisfied the DMV gal. She then registers you to vote, FL has the "motor voter" thing. An empty lot isn't going to get you a driver's license, they want to see that you actually inhabit something there. I left some things in MS like a couple of my car registrations because they're cheaper there and insurance is cheaper. You only technically have to tag a vehicle in FL if you work in the state. I don't work here, my job is out of TN. I spend the majority of my time in FL (mainly because I like it here) and can prove it through credit card receipts if they want to come after me, my domicile change is legitimate.

Florida is friendly to RV'ers and even though you can't use one of the Mailboxes etc. services to establish residency, once you do have a legitimate residence in FL you can subsequently get rid of your domicile and use one of the mailbox services addresses to receive mail while you live on the road in your RV and still maintain FL residency.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Buy land, put a meter pole on it. Pay minimum electric charge every month. Use electric bill for residency address.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm
I don't know about Florida, but in Colorado you can't claim residency unless you have a permanent structure to live in. You have to show proof of a mailing address which requires a building department to issue an address...which is only done when you have an approved structure to live in.

Unless you are drug-addicted and homeless.

Montana MOFO
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by dale06
You better talk to a tax attorney. I doubt what you’re considering would constitute residency in the low tax state.
I friend has a home in Mn and Fla. Both are permanent structures. He keeps detailed records and gas receipts to prove he was in Fla more than six months per year. Saves him $60 grand plus per year, plus inheritance tax when he dies.

Had a family friend here move his residency to FL from VA.
He has many car dealerships here in VA along with a few in TN.
As the Patriarch of everything his income was very high and VA state nails you if in a higher bracket.
The first year that he didn't file Va State Income they came after him, stating his 'move' was invalid due to the amount of time spent in VA that past year.
They produced flight records for his plane and how long it stayed parked in VA etc
He lost-for that year and quit flying back and forth for the most part, just hired drivers and a RV so he could sleep on the trips.

FJB & FJT
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Most states tax income in the state where it's earned regardless of residence. If you live in one state and drive across the state line to work, you pay the taxes where you work. If you earn money in both states, it's pro-rated.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Most states tax income in the state where it's earned regardless of residence. If you live in one state and drive across the state line to work, you pay the taxes where you work. If you earn money in both states, it's pro-rated.

In our case it will be post-work.

Retirement income only.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Not really..

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

In our case it will be post-work.

Retirement income only.

P

I saw a list of states most retirement friendly last week and clicked on it.
I think Florida was #1 in part because they don’t tax retirement income.

Residency is state law specific, historic rule was residency was where you intended to reside. Out of state college students, non resident hunting licenses and carpetbaggers have all caused rewriting of statutes.

Florida must have a pretty robust legion of attorneys answering these questions every day.

Vehicle license, drivers licenses, voting registration, and taxes are all circumstantial evidence of residency.
Cell phone data catches many non resident fraudsters.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
https://rvlife.com/florida-domicile-rv/

Apparently it’s quite common. We don’t want to establish in an RV park.

p

Apparently you answered your own question. It's good to know all the answers.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Several options exist. South Dakota happens to be a bit of a haven for this. Since we have no state income tax, we're an easy place to say yes to.

For everyone's benefit, states have measures for residency which are internally inconsistent as well. It might be 30 days to vote, 180 to hunt/fish and a year to qualify as a resident for tuition purposes all in the same state.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

532 members (1OntarioJim, 2500HD, 1badf350, 222ND, 257Bob, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 58 invisible), 2,511 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,909
Posts18,518,630
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.