Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Mad_Max Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Oregon and California people, let me know if I've got this right please. I will be traveling through Oregon and California next week. I am a licensed carrier in Montana. I have done my research and I think I understand your laws. However, Oregon seems to write their laws such that one would have to understand hyrogliphics to understand them.

My Oregon reference, I think, is ORS 166.250 Unlawful possession of firearms: https://oregon.public.law/statutes/ors_166.250 I will be in a Honda CRV so no trunk. If I understand your law correctly, while traveling through your state, my handgun must be in a locked box. Glove box O.K.;but, I am using a separate metal, lockable gun box. Additionally, I see nothing in your law requiring that my handgun be unloaded. Please let me know if I'm in error in any way.

My California reference is from the California Attorney General Website at this link: https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/travel

There, it clearly states that I can transport my handgun in my car in a locked box and that my handgun must be unloaded. That seems clear to me. Am I correct.

I guess I'm just looking for confirmation from others that my research is correct OR, that it is incorrect with guidance to correct information. Thanks in advance.

Max

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Watch any capacity restrictions each state has. I think CA is 10.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oregon State will have some additional county and city laws

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Also check whether CA considers a loaded magazine the same as a loaded pistol, even if it's in a different box than the pistol itself.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
In Oregon, it’s whether or not it’s readily accessible.

I guess they added locked glove box as ok. Unlocked is still not ok. Accessible is kind of also out side of “lunging for the gun” range. Lock it in a box, stick it in the back seat

IC B2

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
No mag restrictions

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
General rules.
Unloaded, locked in a hard case, out of reach of the front seats.
Mags kept separate, and separate from ammo.

That will cover most pitfalls.
As mentioned, mag capacity can be an issue.

The states you mention are problems, Maryland is 30 miles from here and Cumberland is one of our choices for a big town. Historically, there is no
way I can go there with handgun. None at all. For years they made it difficult
for their own residents. When asked, the MD State Police just said to keep
any handguns out of their state.

Good luck, do nothing to attract attention.

You can be 100% legal, and still be arrested and charged. Which would suck.
Having a legal problem to pay for and defend yourself from, hundreds of miles from
home, would increase the suckage. Think...$10k+, lost work, travel, gun likely gone...

I've taken a handgun on vacation.
Through MD, staying in Delaware and New Jersey.
Always chose a revolver due to perceptions, but realized that there was a fair chance
of big trouble if it was ever found.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Did you ever get the idea the laws are so convoluted state to state, town to town, county to county, on purpose, so they can trap otherwise law-abiding gun owners on bullschit charges?

LOL
M
Mad_Max Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Ya, it's amazing. I'm trying to be a follower of the law. As I daydream I can just picture the scenario. It's a legitimate self-defense situation that occurs at a gas station. I have to get the key, and get in to the back of the vehicle. I need to unlock the lock box. I then need to obtain the magazine (in pocket probably). Then, I need to retrieve the ammo (in cup in center counsel?) and then load the magazine and then insert the magazine and load the chamber. I wonder if either my wife or myself are dead yet. The odd thing is that I'm trying to comply with all of the laws in place. Yet, to the left, I am somehow the threat.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
You can also legally carry concealed in Oregon without a permit if you going to or from a hunting or fishing expedition. Or to or from the range.

IC B3

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Did you ever get the idea the laws are so convoluted state to state, town to town, county to county, on purpose, so they can trap otherwise law-abiding gun owners on bullschit charges?
Oregon used to be pretty common sense. Now Oregon is a libtard shlt hole. And so is Washington.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
If you are going south on I-5....There are no restrictive firearm laws that I am aware of thru Jefferson State, until you get down around Redding where the timber peters out...and then you are under Mexican jurisdiction, and everything is against the law unless you are a Mexican.

Last edited by flintlocke; 05/23/23.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
MUST be unloaded. Oregon has NO reciprocity with ANY state! Oregon residents MUST have a CHL to carry a loaded handgun in a vehicle.

Warning!

If you are stopped in Portland, be sure you don't even have an unloaded magazine in reach without CHL.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe
MUST be unloaded. Oregon has NO reciprocity with ANY state! Oregon residents MUST have a CHL to carry a loaded handgun in a vehicle.

Warning!

If you are stopped in Portland, be sure you don't even have an unloaded magazine in reach without CHL.
Was the law changed?
Unless the law has changed open carry a vehicle is legal in Oregon State, beware of local ordinances.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Sheriff Joe. There is absolutely nothing wrong with an unloaded magazine in reach, in your pocket, under you seat. You exaggerated a bit

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have an Oregon CHL so I don't pay too much attention to Oregon transport laws, but I would say put the gun unloaded in a locked container out of reach behind the front seat. I would put unloaded magazines in another locked container. You should be safe in both states if you do that. California prohibits magazines that hold more than 10 rounds so I would only take 10 rounders.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bowmanh
I have an Oregon CHL so I don't pay too much attention to Oregon transport laws, but I would say put the gun unloaded in a locked container out of reach behind the front seat. I would put unloaded magazines in another locked container. You should be safe in both states if you do that. California prohibits magazines that hold more than 10 rounds so I would only take 10 rounders.

I would say a CHL There is useless. If you ever have to use your handgun. The liberal prosecutors would put you so far back in prison, sun light would have to be piped to you. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ThereIsPeace
Sheriff Joe. There is absolutely nothing wrong with an unloaded magazine in reach, in your pocket, under you seat. You exaggerated a bit

Possible as I've been unable to see the citation in their laws. Can't recall where I saw it...

I'll retract it until I see updated data. May have conflated "unloaded" and "loaded" mags w/o CHL.

4A.60.010 Possession of a Loaded Firearm in a Public Place.
City Code Section

(Amended by Ordinance 184274, effective December 31, 2010.)

A. It is unlawful for any person to knowingly possess or carry a firearm, in or upon a public place, including while in a vehicle in a public place, recklessly having failed to remove all the ammunition from the firearm.
B. It is unlawful for any person to knowingly possess or carry a firearm and that firearm’s clip or magazine, in or upon a public place, including while in a vehicle in a public place, recklessly having failed to remove all the ammunition from the clip or magazine.
C. The following are exceptions and constitute affirmative defenses to a violation of this Section:
1. A police officer or other duly appointed peace officers, whether active or honorably retired.
2. A member of the military in the performance of official duty.
3. A person licensed to carry a concealed handgun.
4. A person authorized to possess a loaded firearm while in or on a public building under ORS 166.370.
5. A government employee authorized or required by his or her employment or office to carry firearms.
6. A person summoned by a police officer to assist in making arrests or preserving the peace, while such person is actually engaged in assisting the officer.
7. A merchant who possesses or is engaged in lawfully transporting unloaded firearms as merchandise.
8. Organizations which are by law authorized to purchase or receive weapons from the United States or from this state.
9. Duly authorized military or civil organizations while parading, or their members when going to and from the places of meeting of their organization.
10. A corrections officer while transporting or accompanying an individual convicted of or arrested for an offense and confined in a place of incarceration or detention while outside the confines of the place of incarceration or detention.
11. Persons travelling to and from an established target range, whether public or private, for the purpose of practicing shooting targets at the target ranges.
12. Licensed hunters or fishermen while engaged in hunting or fishing, or while going to or returning from a hunting or fishing expedition.
13. A person authorized by permit of the Chief of Police to possess a loaded firearm, clip, or magazine in a public place in the City of Portland.
14. A security guard employed at a financial institution insured by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation while the security guard is on duty.
D. It is unlawful for any person who possesses a firearm, clip or magazine in or upon a public place, or while in a vehicle in a public place, to refuse to permit a police officer to inspect that firearm after the police officer has identified him or herself as a police officer. This Section does not apply to law enforcement officers or members of the military in the performance of official duties, nor persons licensed to carry a concealed handgun or persons authorized to possess a loaded firearm, clip or magazine while in or on a public building or court facility.
E. Penalty
1. In the absence of the aggravating factors listed in Subsection 14A.60.010 E.2., the court may impose a sentence of up to 6 months imprisonment and a fine not to exceed $500 for violation of this section.
2. When this offense is committed by carrying a loaded firearm containing ammunition that employs gunpowder as a propellant in a vehicle, including a transit vehicle, the court must impose a mandatory minimum sentence of 30 days for violation of this Section.

Thanks for playing.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Snow machines and ATV operators may find this of use:

https://oregon.public.law/statutes/ors_821.240

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's stupid [bleep] like this that makes me keep a snubby revolver around.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (007FJ, 1911a1, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 58 invisible), 2,613 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,720
Posts18,514,214
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.