Print Thread
Hop To
#18444398 05/23/23
C
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Trying to find a film clip again I'd seen of the Enfield rifle found on the roof of The School Book Depository I stumbled upon this odd story. It's a sobering tale of reckless shooting and lethal range of common rifles. 2.6 miles in this case if you don't want to read the story.

https://www.nytimes.com/1976/02/29/...ory-death-on-a-roof-detective-story.html

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Crash Pad;
Top of the morning, I hope the day is treating you well thus far in your section of the planet.

Thanks for the linked story, it's an interesting read for sure and illustrates how far away a careless bullet can kill.

There was a story I read years ago, again if memory serves involving a .303 where a fellow driving to work near San Francisco was struck in the head by a bullet.

If I'm recalling the details correctly, a fisherman in the bay shot at a seal, the bullet ricocheted off the water and hit the moving car's driver through an open window.

Thanks again and all the best.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
The amazing part of the story was that, when the police requested everyone to turn over their Enfield rifles for analysis, many did so. You'd think no one would wish to take the chance that their rifle came close to matching the one involved such as to falsely incriminate them.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
NY Times- known for their journalistic integrity and neutrality. Even if the article is a re-print, any thinking person must ask "Why is the NYT printing an article that is 46 years old? To prop up the "assault weapons" fear gripping the Mercedes Marxists? Surely not...

"I didn't realize we had so many snipers in this country." by J23
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
That article contains enough typos that the writer, and the proofreaders at the Noo Yawk Slime must have been smoking some killer weed!

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
That article contains enough typos that the writer, and the proofreaders at the Noo Yawk Slime must have been smoking some killer weed!

"Also in Morris Township, a roan wearing tan short pants, walking with a limp and carrying a rifle was reported having been seen in Loantaka Brook Reservation on the day of the shooting."

A roan? WTF?

Last edited by 3584ELK; 05/23/23.

"I didn't realize we had so many snipers in this country." by J23
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
At he beginning of the article, in Italics, mention is made of transcription errors from the digitization of print archives and it is stated that no editing is done but efforts are being made to improve transcription.
To me, the article is interesting and demonstrates, sometimes, crap happens.
I know people (none of whom, it must be said, are Mensa members) who insist on firing their rifles into the air on holidays. My Dad told me of the Iraqis firing their weapons into the air, in celebration. He didn't know of any deaths but a hole was blown in the facade of the hotel when one celebrant fired an RPG into the air. GD

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
There is an old Forensic Files episode where a person sitting in a lawn chair at a backyard picnic is struck and killed by a .44 caliber bullet that came out of the blue.

Turns out it was fired from a revolver almost a mile away. A woman firing it for the first time was not ready for the recoil, and double tapped on the first shot while the barrel was at a 40-50 degree angle, launching a bullet at about the perfect angle for maximum travel distance.

Tragic accident.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by HoosierHawk
There is an old Forensic Files episode where a person sitting in a lawn chair at a backyard picnic is struck and killed by a .44 caliber bullet that came out of the blue.

Turns out it was fired from a revolver almost a mile away. A woman firing it for the first time was not ready for the recoil, and double tapped on the first shot while the barrel was at a 40-50 degree angle, launching a bullet at about the perfect angle for maximum travel distance.

Tragic accident.

Sounds like some TV Fake News Bullschitt to me.
Some of that crap they “report” on Forensic Files or 48 Hours was probably made up by some anti gun left wing Libertard who doesn’t know schitt from shinola about guns or ballistics. 🤪

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Tragic accident.

Some of that crap they “report” on Forensic Files or 48 Hours was probably made up by some anti gun left wing Libertard who doesn’t know schitt from shinola about guns or ballistics. 🤪

Why do you say that? A .44 magnum round can easily travel 1,000+ yards. The episode had dates, locations, names, etc... If I could find it, it would be easy to prove if it actually happened, just search for the names and the town it happened near.

Here's Jerry Miculik hitting a target at 1,000 yards with a .44 magnum revolver.

Sounds to me like you might have a black eye from your knee jerking so hard it hit you in the face...

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Tragic accident.

Why do you say that? A .44 magnum round can easily travel 1,000+ yards. The episode had dates, locations, names, etc... If I could find it, it would be easy to prove if it actually happened, just search for the names and the town it happened near.

Here's Jerry Miculik hitting a target at 1,000 yards with a .44 magnum revolver.

Sounds to me like you might have a black eye from your knee jerking so hard it hit you in the face...

LMAO. Lots of difference between a 1000 yard and “over a mile”. But some folks believe everything they hear on the TV. 😂😂😂

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
LMAO. Lots of difference between a 1000 yard and “over a mile”. But some folks believe everything they hear on the TV. 😂😂😂
What does your box of .22s say?

Politics is War by Other Means
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

Some people have an issue with reading comprehension. Read my quote in your post, then read how you characterized it.

And your assertion that I "believe everything I see on TV" gives you a second black eye from your knee jerking again.

I did find a newspaper article on the shooting, by the way. Happened in Bloomingdale, IL on the 4th of July, 1989. The newspaper article lists the distance at "over half a mile". So the distance the bullet travelled was somewhere between half a mile and a mile, per two different sources.

Also, in the video, look at the angle of Miculek's barrel above horizontal. Nowhere near maximizing distance, and the bullets still travel 1,000 yards.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Some people have an issue with reading comprehension. Read my quote in your post, then read how you characterized it.

And your assertion that I "believe everything I see on TV" gives you a second black eye from your knee jerking again.

I did find a newspaper article on the shooting, by the way. Happened in Bloomingdale, IL on the 4th of July, 1989. The newspaper article lists the distance at "over half a mile". So the distance the bullet travelled was somewhere between half a mile and a mile, per two different sources.

LMAO ! Sounds to me like you just proved my point.
My point being that most of the “statements” on those types of “shows” have nothing to do with actual FACTS. Just more Libertard “journalism”.
Again, some folks believe ever word. If it’s on the TV, it must be true. 🤪😂😂😂

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
I think that (roan) was a slang term for residents of the nearby reservation, Roantaka. .

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
C
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
I always thought shooting straight up in the air was perfectly safe. Anything less, obviously not.The math here was interesting in calculating the various arc and distance possibilities having to guess which way the poor man was facing. I shot service rifle with an AR at 1000 yds once. An 80 grain Sierra looked like a mortar round dropping straight down when fired level prone. That 303 bullet entered at roughly 15 degrees and penetrated over 20 inches, after 2.6 miles? Not a particularly powerful round. Kinda validates the practice of volley fire at extreme ranges. Serious bad luck for the poor guy. I think I shot my last squirrel!

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Crash Pad;
Top of the morning, I hope the day is treating you well thus far in your section of the planet.

Thanks for the linked story, it's an interesting read for sure and illustrates how far away a careless bullet can kill.

There was a story I read years ago, again if memory serves involving a .303 where a fellow driving to work near San Francisco was struck in the head by a bullet.

If I'm recalling the details correctly, a fisherman in the bay shot at a seal, the bullet ricocheted off the water and hit the moving car's driver through an open window.

Thanks again and all the best.

Dwayne

Guy in a boat shot at a shark in FL and ended up hitting a girl a long ways away behind her left ear. Driving a Camano as I recall.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by navlav8r
I think that (roan) was a slang term for residents of the nearby reservation, Roantaka. .
Joking?

the nearby "reservation" is a park.

The Loantaka Brook Reservation is a nature reserve and public park in the American state of New Jersey in Morris County.

and has been for a very long time

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loantaka_Brook_Reservation

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

525 members (160user, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 1936M71, 007FJ, 1badf350, 61 invisible), 2,405 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,442
Posts18,489,508
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.