Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
H
hotsoup Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Thinking of changing my homeowners insurance. I'm only interested in the 2 companies mentioned above. If you have had homeowners insurance from one or both, I'd like to know your opinion or experience with them particularly dealing with claims regarding your roof. Satisfied or not? Thanks for your response.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
We’ve had State Farm forever. Both auto and home. Never had to use the homeowners insurance but have had a couple auto claims. Nothing terribly serious. They’ve been good to deal with and very helpful during our move to and from Alaska.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Farm Bureau of Idaho has been superlative. I have been with them since 1979. They paid off three cars my kids totaled. Well, one was a hailstorm.
Paid off on damages to the house twice. Paid off liability claims on the autos twice. They even bought my Subaru Legacy when another FB customer T-boned me.

Never a word of argument, Never a hassle over payout $. Best rates I have ever been able to find.

I show other ins brokers my policy and ask for a quote. I have always been told "We can not touch that."

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've had State Farm for decades with no deal-breaking complaints. Once had a $4k water damage claim (leaky shower valve in the wall) and other than the 5 different claims adjusters they sent out checking up on each other they paid right up.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hotsoup
Thinking of changing my homeowners insurance. I'm only interested in the 2 companies mentioned above. If you have had homeowners insurance from one or both, I'd like to know your opinion or experience with them particularly dealing with claims regarding your roof. Satisfied or not? Thanks for your response.

We have had State Farm for years. (Idaho.) Several years ago, just by accident, we discovered a leak from a copper pipe in the crawl space. It was a freaking mess! Everything was soaked because the tiny leak was from a hot water pipe and had been active for some time. Therefore because of the cold weather the hot water caused condensation in the crawl space eventually soaking everything. We caught it right before mold set in.

State Farm called a restoration company with whom they worked and they tore out everything underneath the floor, insulation, ground sheet, etc., etc. They put big fans down there to dry it out (three days for that.) They put in all new insulation, plastic ground cover, etc. It was a six day job. $8,800.0 A plumber replaced the copper pipe.

State Farm paid all of that except our deductible of $500.00 with no questions asked. They were very helpful. My wife had an accident (no injuries) in her new Nissan Altema. That was about $7,500.00. State Farm paid it all except the $500.00 deductible. No problems.

So, for us, State Farm did us right. Don't know about other people's experiences.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It sounds like you could flip a coin with your two choices. I have had home and auto insurance from State Farm for an embarrassingly long time.

Our family has moved multiple times and at least 6 agents have handled our claims in a timely, fair and professional manner. I have been impressed with the overall quality of service delivered by every agent and their rates are VERY competitive, even during the years when we had teenage sons. Get to know the agents who will represent you and answer your calls, check the costs and coverage and pick one of the above based on what you and your friends have experienced.

I had forgotten about the hail damage that "totaled" one of our cars. They paid a reasonable sum for value lost.

Admittedly, it has been decades since anybody in the family was ticketed for some stupid behavior on the asphalt, but our rates are enviable. See Idaho Shooter above, but with a different strong company.

Still a coin flip.

“You must endeavour to enjoy the pleasure of doing good. That is all that makes life valuable.”
Robert E. Lee, in a letter to his invalid wife.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I’ve heard good about both. I think State Farm is higher.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Farm Bureau is a collection of smaller companies, some good, and others awful. The one here is one of the worst. I refused to do their work when they were bought by one of the other Farm Bureau companies. It was excellent when it was CalFarm. Now Country Companies has the region's business, and they would be about last on my list, along with American Family Insurance.

I tried State Farm, and they have been great in their handling two homeowners' claims. If I have another, they'll non-renew, however. I saved quite a bit by bundling my home and auto.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’ve had both. Farm Bureau sucked royally, while State Farm has been great.

Last edited by K1500; 05/23/23.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Farm Bureau

IC B3

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
STATE FARM ALL DAY LONG...... We have had them forever in several different locations after moving around several times. A couple of pretty bad auto accidents which were not our fault. And a CATASTROPHIC POLE BARN COLLAPSE under 275" inches of snow load one bad winter in NW Michigan. The pole barn was built by a well regarded company. It was only 3 years old. We submitted two pages of claims including a 20 ft dual axle equipment trailer, Lund fishing boat, patio furniture, big Weber grill, lawn equipment, 2 expensive bikes, etc, etc. State Farm paid for EVERYTHING we had documentation for!!!

And they helped us get through a very nasty process getting our pole barn rebuilt. You need to get a good agent, but State Farm is a very solid company IMHO.

NRA Life Member
"Use Enough Gun"- Robert Ruark
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
I can’t say enough good about Farm Bureau….been through two hurricanes and one burst water pipe and they wrote checks quickly without batting an eye. Good folks.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
State farm is good until you get sued then you have to get your own lawyer to make sure the State Farm lawyer takes care of their obligation to you. Farm Bureau is OK but you need to take your premium payments right to your agent and pay them with a cashier's check. Twice those people misplaced my mailed in personal check for a premium and then told me I was late wanting another check rfn. So now all premium payments are by cashier's checks a week in advance of due date.mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Not what you asked.
I’d go to an independent insurance agency that represents multiple insurance companies and let them shop insurers to find the what you want. That agency should know how well those insurers perform when there is a claim.
I had one of the “big name” insurers for years, then went to an independent agency. The insurer they found saved me substantial money on premiums. I’ve had several claims, one pretty large, and the claims were handled fast and painlessly.
And that agency shops insurers every year when my premiums are due just to keep the insurance company honest.

NRA Patron
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
State Farm is woke as phuq!

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I had State Farm for 27 years, at the ripe old age of 40 I talked to a guy and wanted to buy a Vette in Florida. Clean driving record, no chargeable accidents, tickets etc. MyAgent gave me a ridiculous high quote. I decided not to buy the Vette it was that expensive. 2 Weeks later I saw the corksucker at a light driving a Vette. I changed Insurance companies immediately.

I have had SF,Allstate,Farm Bureau,Amica and now Erie.

Erie is the Rolls Royce of Insurance companies, there is no better.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
We've had homeowners insurance through both companies and have nothing bad to say about either. The last 10 years we've been insured through American National and are happy with them at a 3rd of the cost. Companies that don't have to pay all the retirement expenses can offer better rates.

Life is good live it while you can.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
FB has been great to deal with here.

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
FB

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Farm Bureau - I have a long memory. When I bought my 1st new car, age 23, I went to them for insurance. I had a completely clean driving record, not a single infraction. I was a college graduate and had a good job. They turned me down flat, saying they didn't insure anyone under 25. I told them take me now or you'll never see me again. They didn't and they haven't.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

272 members (12344mag, 01Foreman400, 160user, 280rem_cm, 35, 2UP, 24 invisible), 1,753 guests, and 1,064 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,244
Posts18,486,002
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.