Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
I like 5'x6 1/2'. Room for two office chairs and sometimes a metal folding chair when two grandkids are along.

NRA Endowment Member
GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Down to the hunting camp, 4'x8' works fine. When bow hunting around my home, 1800 sq ft is about right.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My blinds here in Idaho are built on the ground out of clippings. I usually pull them apart when done. If rain or a squall might come in, I’ll tarp it

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
My blind is 4 x 6 and sits 2 OK. 5 x 7 would probably be the optimum size for 2- 3 people (adult with youths)

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I usually use a rhino 150 pop up. 5’x 5’ 5 1/2’ tall.

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
My blind is an aluminum framed 5’x7’. It is permanently mounted on a trailer. The tongue is removed once set in place. The tailgate folds up to block the door & chained/locked. The entire rig weighs +/- 850 lbs..

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
The best one I’ve built was a 5x8. Plenty of leg room and plenty of room for kids.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Currently, I hunt out of a 7'×3.5'.
It's set up to accommodate 2 adults and 1 youngster.
...or one crippled up old fart that likes to be able to stand and stretch or sit.
Broken bones and joint replacements make me design stuff for comfort.

Originally Posted by WAM
I like a 6 or 7 foot x 4 foot. Easy to stretch out in a pinch and small enough to heat. Not enough leg room or swivel room in anything smaller. Some of them at our hunt club are smaller, but I don’t use them. I’ll get in one of my ladder stands or ground blind instead.

Hey WAM! FB here! Good to see you around. Hope this finds you well, sir!

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by StoneCutter
24"x 30"x 18' high

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

If i die/go missing during deer season, one of these will be a good place to start the search.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I "usta" like tree stand hunting. But I also "usta" bounce when I hit the ground.
Now I just go "splat"!
Therefore, I don't get no lower than taters nor higher than corn.
I hunt a box blind about 2 feet off the ground.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hanco
I like them 4 foot by 4 foot by 7 foot high. I like to be able to look out all 4 sides without moving my chair. I can see 3 sides turning my head, turn chair 1/4 turn to see the other

This!

I built mine 4x4 and tall enough to stand up to stretch from time to time, perfect size for one hunter shooting out all windows with just a swivel chair, also fit my sons when they were younger but was tight. Also, making them 4x4 save is wood expense and 4x6, 5x5 etc goes up exponentially with wood prices being what they and 4x8 plywood being standard. If I were just building one today, I might make it 4x6 but not sure.

hanco Offline OP
Campfire Savant
OP Offline
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by 257Bob
Originally Posted by hanco
I like them 4 foot by 4 foot by 7 foot high. I like to be able to look out all 4 sides without moving my chair. I can see 3 sides turning my head, turn chair 1/4 turn to see the other

This!

I built mine 4x4 and tall enough to stand up to stretch from time to time, perfect size for one hunter shooting out all windows with just a swivel chair, also fit my sons when they were younger but was tight. Also, making them 4x4 save is wood expense and 4x6, 5x5 etc goes up exponentially with wood prices being what they and 4x8 plywood being standard. If I were just building one today, I might make it 4x6 but not sure.

Wood has gone down, but still tough on the wallet

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I guess if you had kids it would be nice, but I hate sitting in the things. You're not really in the woods.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm a big guy. I've got the same dimensions as John Wayne age-for-age. Right now, I'm right around Cahill, US Marshall. My sons make me look tiny.

Big guy means big gear. My outer layer fills a G.I. duffel bag. I need room.

Big guy marries big girl. My kids have names like Moose and Angus. I managed a couple of years squeezing #2, Moose, into a buddy stand with me. When #3, Angus, started, we went one season in the buddy stands and then switched to ground blinds. A buddy stand is plenty roomy for me alone.

In 2003, I built my first box blind It was made from a packing crate, skid runners and large pallet. It's roughly 4X8' and the saltbox roof gives me room to stand.
[Linked Image from genesis9.angzva.com]

In 2009, I built my luxury box, Midway. It's 5X9' and works so that 2 hunters can sit back-to-back, or side-to-side, looking out the same window. Again, I did a saltbox roof. It gives me standing-up room without a lot of extra height.

In 2017, I built Hollywood. It's 5X7', set up as an open platform. Again, it is set up so 2 hunters can sit back-to-back or side-to-side. This is where #1 granddaughter, Mooselette, likes to hunt. She just passed 5 feet, and the side-to-side setup is getting cozy.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like a thick medium sized bush or a strategic rock outcropping, or did back when I could draw a tag.

Anymore an eastern or mid western deer blind over a good field or trail looks more attractive...old age. wink

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
4 x7 7 feet high in the front. Room for 2 chairs and a heater on a propane tank between them. In case my wife goes.

G
G
Originally Posted by SKane
Open-air is my favorite size. whistle
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
I prefer no stand at all. I mostly hunt from the ground.

I like fair chase too. 👍

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
I sit out in the open on a milk crate, fallen tree or rock and use anything naturally occurring in the environment to break up my profile and provide a little camouflage. When I have to sit in a heated shack to hunt deer I’m done.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Started out hunting out of the standard 4x4 blinds.
Got my first lease as an adult and built myself a 4x6. Works great for one person and a good chair but 2 people it can be tight.

Eventually my wife started hunting and wanted a big roomy blind so I built a 5x8 for her because she liked to stretch out on early mornings and nap until she could see well enough to start hunting.

That 5x8 was the game changer. Plenty of room for two with nice chairs. After having our first child I decided to drop the 4x6 and built a 6x8.

6x8 is huge. The only real downside to it and the 5x8 is not being able to easily hunt out of either side window without scooting around. But it’s very quiet and solid and not to hard to do unless they’re a deer right on top of you.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We are in the process of replacing my mother deck that was originally built in 1984, all of the support structure is original including the ground-contact 4x4 posts. Now I will admit it's rotten and needs replacing but it's going on 39 years old. All wood is basic treated southern pine. A deer stand built with treated pine and painted from time to time should last 20 plus years as long as it's designed to it doesn't catch and hold water in any spots. I've built about a half dozen and never had a bit of trouble with any of them.

I always built 4x4, once you go beyond that lumber becomes exponentially more expensive if you are building several and cost is of any concern.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (1minute, 2500HD, 1Longbow, 1badf350, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 61 invisible), 2,320 guests, and 1,301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,176
Posts18,503,222
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.