Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Good stuff for sure.
Painstaking no doubt,but the finished product is well worth that effort,to alot of family I'm sure.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Odonata….That’s a very cool labor of love that many successive generations will benefit from. You might not fully realize how the work you’re doing now will live on indefinitely but it will and it is a fantastic contribution to your family’s history. 👍🏼

I love old photos and your family has some great ones that will most definitely benefit from your hours of tedious work but after it’s done I imagine you’re filled with a quiet pride….a well deserved feeling (in my opinion).

Nice work Sir!

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
odonata Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
AcesNeights, Thanks for the kind words. Hopefully I might inspire someone else to do the same. It really is a good feeling to have them saved, restored & most importantly, shared. Genealogy groups on Facebook really love them. But I didn’t want to sugarcoat the effort involved. It can be considerable especially if you don’t have good tools or retouching skills.

Bonus photo from 1940: You gotta love the socks!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by odonata; 05/20/23.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
odonata,

That is quite the effort. Good skills and lotsa time.

My own effort with family pics , there are shoeboxes full off them,
consists of making up names and writing on the back of unmarked pics.

odonata Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
cisco1, Now I fell kind of stupid. It would have been way quicker to do it your way!

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
You are most definitely inspiring people to do the same. I’m always amazed at the tremendous reach this site has since there’s probably 10,000-1 on people that see and read your great thread versus how many reply so I’d estimate that you’re inspiring more people than you know to preserve the family history.

These threads are always such a nice and welcome diversion from all the craziness of the world….probably why it’s so easy to get lost in these pictures even though they aren’t of our family they represent ALL of our families from those “simpler” times.

I gotta say Odonata, that even in the early days of film photography your family was very photogenic. You have a beautiful family that should have their photo-history preserved…..we already have too many old time pictures of ugly families. 😂

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
odonata Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
…even in the early days of film photography your family was very photogenic.

I must have picked the really good ones then! One time I was at a large family reunion & this big refrigerator of a guy with a beard & overalls with some Red Man tobacco sticking out of the chest pocket said “Hi! I’m your cousin Cleotus…”.

All I could think was “There is no way you & I can be sharing DNA!” Ha! Every family has some keepers!

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
My mother front and center with her 3 brothers. The handsome lad standing up was my uncle, and my hero. He was also a hero to a couple hundred of his fellow POWs in a Japanese POW camp. An Extradorinary man.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
odonata Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ingwe
My mother front and center with her 3 brothers. The handsome lad standing up was my uncle, and my hero. He was also a hero to a couple hundred of his fellow POWs in a Japanese POW camp. An Extradorinary man.

He sounds extraordinary & that’s a great photo! The photos I posted earlier were from my mom’s family in the country. The portrait you posted reminds me more of the photographs from my dad’s family in New Orleans.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Wanna buy a chikkin?......
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

IC B3

odonata Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Wanna buy a chikkin?......

This is the reason I start posts like this! It’s always interesting to see what someone is going to reply with. grin

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
This is a rare picture. Goes back to my Great Great Grama Rosalia Lapinski. 5 generations of 1st born daughters. Amhurst Junction, WI 1934

Last edited by GAGoober; 05/20/23.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Grandfather and uncle's.

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
odonata Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
johnn, That is the epitome of the classic quintessential hunting photo from yesteryear. Most excellent!

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Got a bunch of them from the late 1800’s, early 1900’s. Granddaddy’s older brother took pictures as a hobby. Post some soon.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
You rarely see fat people in old photos.

odonata Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Tip926
You rarely see fat people in old photos.

My dad was a high school teacher starting in the late 50's. Looking at his old class photos with his students on the front steps of a school, I noticed the same thing. But when I was a kid, we weren't eating out at all & there was very little processed food around my house. The items that were readily available to eat (e.g. sardines, potted meat, spam, vienna sausages, baloney...) wasn't something that any of us wanted to eat 2,000 calories of. It was something to keep you fed. Not something you wanted to get stuffed on. There's way too much much delicious food to constantly tempt people today.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Hot summer’s back when, only AC was all open, nobody stayed inside house during daytime, when I was little Grandpa and I would take our bath’s in backyard in wash tubs, I had never payed attention to Grandpa naked, he looked like a Greek statue, I mean ripped, I ask him , how old are you, he said 66, people were not fat on the ranch , everyone worked hard, ate right, good life.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
My family long ago

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
😂

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (1Longbow, 06hunter59, 160user, 007FJ, 12344mag, 60 invisible), 2,063 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,044
Posts18,482,190
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.