Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 19 of 21 1 2 17 18 19 20 21
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by David_Walter
@goalie,

Thanks! Just ordered one. Reviews are near 100% 5 star.

They shipped today from that deal
smile

GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Short deviation from the current discussion, but this seems like the right place for a shout out to Athlon's customer service. While moving a Helos Gen 2 2-12x from one rifle to another, I somehow knocked the scope out of the open lower ring halves and the scope bounced off a granite bar top, and then a steel bar stool, before hitting the floor (my version of a 42" drop test grin) Inspection showed a flat spot on the end of the objective bell and a couple of gouges in the tube.

Acknowledging the likely cosmetic only damage, I emailed Athlon describing my stupidity. I told them I would like the tube replaced whether covered by warranty or not, and I'd happily pay for the repairs. They said to send it in, though it likely wouldn't pass their testing, and they'd let me know warranty status.

I just received the scope back (about 1 month). I initially thought they replaced the entire scope as I couldn't tell it from new. On closer inspection, the exterior lense surfaces aren't as clean as a new scope would be (more like how they would have been when I sent it in). It appears they did (at minimum) replace the tube at no charge to me.

That's a better response than I expected and I'm quite pleased with the outcome...

Last edited by JGray; 01/04/24.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JGray
Short deviation from the current discussion, but this seems like the right place for a shout out to Athlon's customer service. While moving a Helos Gen 2 2-12x from one rifle to another, I somehow knocked the scope out of the open lower ring halves and the scope bounced off a granite bar top, and then a steel bar stool, before hitting the floor (my version of a 42" drop test grin) Inspection showed a flat spot on the end of the objective bell and a couple of gouges in the tube.

Acknowledging the likely cosmetic only damage, I emailed Athlon describing my stupidity. I told them I would like the tube replaced whether covered by warranty or not, and I'd happily pay for the repairs. They said to send it in, though it likely wouldn't pass their testing, and they'd let me know warranty status.

I just received the scope back (about 1 month). I initially thought they replaced the entire scope as I couldn't tell it from new. On closer inspection, the exterior lense surfaces aren't as clean as a new scope would be (more like how they would have been when I sent it in). It appears they did (at minimum) replace the tube at no charge to me.

That's a better response than I expected and I'm quite pleased with the outcome...

That's good to hear. A friend sent a Helos 2-12 back because it didn't track anywhere near where it should and they replaced it with a new one.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Initial impression is good on the Ares. I didn't realize it was only a zero stop on the elevation turret. My Helos' have locking elevation and windage, so it was a surprise to me that only the windage locks on this, but I like it, especially for it's intended use.

As with the one I tried out before I ordered this, the glass in the Ares is noticeably better than the Helos glass I have, which may or may not matter in good conditions, but 100% won't suck in poor light. I'm going to use one of those 100 yard resolution cards to compare at the range and how big of a difference there really is in resolution.

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
8x42 Binos, UHD….Argos, Midas, Cronus….other than where they’re made (not getting into that), what’s major differences/pros/cons between them that are even noticeable for the $? For the $, I’m planning a pair of Argos, just because there’s little to lose (it would seem). Interested to know what’s what, going upward in the line.

Thanks

Last edited by hh4whiskey; 01/05/24.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've never even seen Athlon binos, so I can't say anything about glass quality differences between the product lines.

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
I directed that at the thread starter/Athlon guru.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hh4whiskey
I directed that at the thread starter/Athlon guru.

👍

I just didn't want you to think the glass difference I saw between the Helos and Ares applies to binos, because I have no idea if it does or not.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd like to see the Heras 15-60 with a simple dot reticle. Something along the lines of Valdada's floating dot reticle would be perfect.

Forbidden Zoner
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
And the Helos 1-4.5x with UHD glass

IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Anybody have the Argos HMR 2-12x42 - BDC 600A SFP MOA scope? If so how do you like it?

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I now have 4 of the Athlon 2-12x42 Helos BTR scopes, based off Sticks review and as stated they are alot scope for the money
Sold my 2 Leupold VX 6 HD 2-12x42 scopes..

HMM-161, HMM-364
Semper Fi Brothers
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Remington280
I now have 4 of the Athlon 2-12x42 Helos BTR scopes, based off Sticks review and as stated they are alot scope for the money

That scope is FFP and the Argos HMR is SFP. Is there any difference in the glass between the two?

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Houser52

That scope is FFP and the Argos HMR is SFP. Is there any difference in the glass between the two?

I emailed Athlon to find out the glass difference between the two scopes. After receiving their response I’m wondering why the Argos 2-12x42 HMR with the illuminated 600A reticle is not more popular.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by Houser52; 01/12/24.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

I emailed Athlon to find out the glass difference between the two scopes. After receiving their response I’m wondering why the Argos 2-12x42 HMR with the illuminated 600A reticle is not more popular.

I've looked through both and I'd agree with glass being equal.
I actually have the MOA reticle in my Helo BTR, love the reticle . It's just a preference in reticles , turrets, etc.

HMM-161, HMM-364
Semper Fi Brothers
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

I've looked through both and I'd agree with glass being equal.
I actually have the MOA reticle in my Helo BTR, love the reticle . It's just a preference in reticles , turrets, etc.

Thanks, good to hear.

I looked hard at the Helos 2-12x42 with the FFP but for deer hunting, with shots 300 to 400 yards at most, I figured a SFP scope with an illuminated reticle with holdovers would suit me better plus I usually don’t dial turrets when hunting. Then I saw it mentioned somewhere where the glass in both scopes were the same so that’s why I emailed Athlon directly to find out for sure.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I purchased an Athlon Midas Tac a couple years back. The scope did not totally retain zero. The customer service department tested the scope at their in-house lab and confirmed that it was bad. I had a new one shortly that has done well. That was about as good of customer service, as I have ever experienced.

It rests on a heavy-barreled .260 that is used for deer depredation work in the summer.

Athlon puts out a good product, without breaking the bank. To all of the Chinese-bashing whiners, I would like to see how many Chinese products are in your homes. Don't tell me "none", because it would be a lie. This is a world-wide economy, so get over it. The same people that do not want a scope that works well, because it is from China, will buy a pos Loopy, just because it is theoretically made in the U.S. Amazing.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by David_Walter
@goalie,

Thanks! Just ordered one. Reviews are near 100% 5 star.

What do you think so far?

I'm "wasting" 2.4 mils of elevation from zero that can still go down, but the Arken rings had it nuts on for windage with the windage mechanically centered. Should have plenty of elevation to reach out a little up north.

Was about .2 mils off after shooting one shot and adjusting 8+ mils down to zero, which was probably me, as I wasn't exactly using a precision rest. Doing a series of shoot one, dial 2 mils up, shoot one, dial 2 mils down, gave me two10-round groups the same size as shooting ten at one aiming point.

I'm glad I grabbed one. I came home and zero'd the turrets, then dialed a bunch of elevation. I'll go back and check that it's still zero'd in a few days.

It is nice to zero and check out adjustments inside with no wind, but I want to get outside to compare glass resolution. It's below zero with 25mph winds so that ain't happening today.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by sbhooper
I purchased an Athlon Midas Tac a couple years back. The scope did not totally retain zero. The customer service department tested the scope at their in-house lab and confirmed that it was bad. I had a new one shortly that has done well. That was about as good of customer service, as I have ever experienced.

It rests on a heavy-barreled .260 that is used for deer depredation work in the summer.

Athlon puts out a good product, without breaking the bank. To all of the Chinese-bashing whiners, I would like to see how many Chinese products are in your homes. Don't tell me "none", because it would be a lie. This is a world-wide economy, so get over it. The same people that do not want a scope that works well, because it is from China, will buy a pos Loopy, just because it is theoretically made in the U.S. Amazing.

You have conflated buying Chinese goods. A more equivalent question for the situation would be how many ChiCom Items in your home did you choose over a non ChiCom product? Of course we all have a pile of Chinesium items in our homes; if there's not a choice, what else can you do? Conversely, instances wherein there is a choice, such as with rifle scopes, are an entirely different scenario. Similarly, your assertion that its either ChiCom scopes that work or Leupolds that don't ignores the fact that there's a lot of non ChiCom, non Leupold scopes that are well known for their functionality and ruggedness.

Complicating maters is the fact that buying rifle scopes is directly supporting the CCP because of their manufacturing laws in regards to weapons.

Not that I think a few guys buying ChiCom scopes are going to shift any major paradigms, just a few thoughts I have on the subject while I read and hear peoples' justifications.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I'd love to see Athlon due a simple 1" scope with illumination with a side battery compartment. Probably just a me thing but I hate the battery compartment up on the eye piece.

Page 19 of 21 1 2 17 18 19 20 21

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (12344mag, 1234, 10ring1, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 60 invisible), 2,874 guests, and 1,194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,796
Posts18,477,396
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.