Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by cra1948
Originally Posted by Theoldpinecricker
The Ruger RSI is another candidate and a good looker but it's not something one wants to take out and put a beating on and rough up.

What gun do you want to "..take out and put a beating on and rough up..." ?

I've been hunting over 60 years now, birds, small game, waterfowl, deer, caribou, elk and probably a few things I've forgotten about. I've hunted the Carolina Low Country swamps, northern tundra, Rocky Mountains, Great Lakes region.... Hunted on foot, horseback, skis, snowshoes, out of trucks and quads and boats... I've trapped water and predators. I've never found it necessary to "put a beating on and rough up" my shotguns, rifles or handguns. I've got some pretty decent guns. I've got a number of them I've had for decades and used a lot. Do they have the occasional little dent, ding or scratch? Yeah, but very minor, used but not abused. I've never understood this idea that, somehow you have to abuse your equipment when you hunt hard. I do know guys who have guns all beat to hell, but it's just laziness. There are a few guys I duck hunt with who just put their shotgun in the bottom of the boat with the decoys and everything. Why? You're not going to need it when the boat's underway. I put my shotguns or rifles in a floating case when going by boat, especially in sketchy circumstances.

For me, stuff has always been hard enough to come by that I take care of it.

I saw a 600 in .308 at a pawn shop in Tuscan about 3 years ago. I took a look at it and it showed some serious signs of being someone's abused truck gun. Scratches on the metal and the stock looked like it had been shined with barbed wire. I seriously thought about rescuing it and sending it home but decided against it. It had potential but they wanted way too much money for it for me to have it shipped home and then transferred. Dang it was beat up.

kwg

Last edited by kwg020; 04/17/23.

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
A simple solution would to be a Rem 660 in 308. They have a 20" barrel, the contour is fairly stout in comparison to the original 600. They are fast handling and the 660's I have owned all balanced well. All you would have to do is adjust the trigger, put a scope on it and you would be good to go.

Another, perhaps even better, solution would be a Tikka T3X and have the barrel trimmed back to 20".

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’d use a Tikka platform if I were to be looking today. That said, my old 77RL with its skinny 20” in .308 has been a gem in the woods that I’m not sure I could improve upon. My load for a run of the mill 150gr Interlock uses 44gr if IMR 4064

Good luck Shaman! I think you’re onto a great idea.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Another, perhaps even better, solution would be a Tikka T3X and have the barrel trimmed back to 20".

drover

A better solution would be to just buy the T3X compact. It comes from the factory at 20 inches. If the compact stock is not wanted, they sell quickly and full size stocks are cheap.

IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by aboltfan

drover

A better solution would be to just buy the T3X compact. It comes from the factory at 20 inches. If the compact stock is not wanted, they sell quickly and full size stocks are cheap.

Yep, another easy solution for sure.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
Probably not what you are looking for, but for several years I hunted with a .308 Styer Mannlicher full stock carbine with 20" barrel made in the 1960s. Very handy and effective, and maybe slightly on the heavy side, but it's kind of old school take on the scout rifle with nice wood and that famous ultra smooth action and ultra reliable rotary magazine. I wish I still had it.

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I have a couple Rem. 788's. 308 18.5" barrels. Shoot any bullet any powder decent. But I have bigger guns so these 2 just shoot
150 grain bullets. Any brand. Same load. 45.5 gr. Re-15. deer hogs moose bear pronghorn. always been enough.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...m12-308-steiner-g3-for-sale#Post18371769
I’ve got this one for sale here. It’s a great rig.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by okie john
Once up on a time, Remington made a 700 ADL Youth model in 308. It had iron sights and a 20” barrel. This one is a 243, but you get the idea. https://www.gunbroker.com/item/974853883 That would be my first choice for something like this. They also made 22” rifles with iron sights in 30-06 and 270, which handle almost as well. https://www.gunbroker.com/item/967878614

Got on gunbroker.com a couple of weeks ago and found one of these. Quick tests with nine factory loads average 50 fps slower than in my 22” M-700, or about what I’d expect for lot-to-lot variation, temperature shifts, etc. In other words, no meaningful difference.

This rifle loses 100 fps with two handloads: a slowpoke to mimic the 30-30 for shooting little deer in thick brush and a screamer using the Barnes 130-grain TTSX. The slowpoke still falls squarely into 30-30 country; the screamer is faster than any 130-grain load that Federal lists for the 270 Winchester.

Average three-shot groups with these nine loads is 1.28 MOA with a 4x Leupold. Without the worst group, it’s 1.12 MOA. A more powerful scope would likely improve that.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Average three-shot groups with these nine loads is 1.28 MOA with a 4x Leupold. Without the worst group, it’s 1.12 MOA. A more powerful scope would likely improve that.

Okie John

If you aren't doing it already you might want to try a target optimized for the magnification/reticle/distance combination. I've shot quite a few five shot, sub moa groups with 4x magnification by doing so.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by mathman

Okie John

If you aren't doing it already you might want to try a target optimized for the magnification/reticle/distance combination. I've shot quite a few five shot, sub moa groups with 4x magnification by doing so.

I have found that 'circles' for DOT sights and 'crosses' for reticles really helps take 'ME' out of the equation....... for lower power scopes/sights at distance...

feel free to copy and use.....

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Muffin,

Have mentioned this before, both here and in my two books on hunting optics:

The basic optical rule is that 20/20 human vision (which is average, not perfect) can "define" about one inch (or MOA) at 100 yards, which means we can see alternating black-and-white lines half an inch wide. Beyond that the lines tend to look gray--as do zebras at, say, 500 yards.

This means that an optically good 4x scope can define about 1/4" at 100 yards--meaning there's about that much optical error in aiming.

This also means, as mathman pointed out, that the aiming point must also be appropriate for the reticle.

The error can also vary with the individual shooter's eyes--and how well the scope's adjusted for parallax, which for the smallest groups needs to be checked as well.

But the basic deal is that a 4x scope can add 1/4" to the average group size, while a typical 3-10x set on 10x adds 1/10"--if the parallax is corrected, and the shooter can shoot. This amounts to a difference of about .15 inch in group size.

The math is pretty simple for 15x, 20x, 30x etc.

Last edited by Mule Deer; 04/27/23.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shaman
The question I had about Francis Sell's idea of a short range deer gun got me thinking. I was digging around and found an article Finn Aagard wrote way back in the day about a sawed-off 18.5 inch 308 WIN Mauser that he liked to carry. He'd used it for everything-- including braining an elephant. He'd loaded with with ever load imaginable-- 110 grain to 220 grain. He loved it.

I saw some intersections with my own experience. His 308 WIN, shortened as it was, did its best work around 150 grains going at 2600 fps. He mentioned this was in the range of the 300 Savage. Indeed, my go-to deer rifle is a Savage 99 in .308 WIN that I download to around 2600 fps, only I have to use 165 grain bullets, because the 150s don't group well in my gun. My idea was to have a 300 Savage-like gun that shot easy-to-find brass.

[Linked Image]

These are Aagard's loads. Let's say I wanted to repeat his work. Given what we have and what we know . . .

A) What rifle do we start with? Today, it doesn't have to be an Israeli-surplus Mauser.
B) What length of barrel. He cut his to 18.5" but he would admit that caused some velocity loss? Should it be 20"?
C) Loadings. His loads, especially the H4895 load, spot on with my loads. However, I got to thinking: for a short barrel, would a faster powder work better? What powder? What Bullets would you choose?

I think I found a candidate rifle. I've held one, and I have to agree with Aagard, it's a sweet machine.

[Linked Image from genesis9.angzva.com]

It's a Ruger Hawkeye Scout. I'd probably scope it conventionally.

Bonus question: Given Aagard's later epiphany regarding the 7mm-08, ideally, would you want this rifle in a different chambering?

easy route is a 700 ADL with tupperware stock.

Leave it at 22" (easy)

buy 500rd case of reloadable FMJ (easy)

buy 3 cans of spray paint (customize the stock every season, or every month if you must)

if you want to play around (it sounds like you do) pull 10 or 20 bullets, weigh the charge, find the average, figure out what ball powder they are using, reduce charge as needed and replace bullet with hunting bullet of your choice.

If you fire the rifle 500 times, it will be more deadly and more perfect, than any rifle you could buy, build or modify, and shoot 40 times.

22" better than 18" for noise. cheaper than a 4" can, quicker, and just as long.

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
My 20" .308 is the first rifle I grab more often than not.

It simply performs without any drama. Kills everything from coyotes to elk.
Being a lightweight little rifle, you have to really pay attention to your fundamentals to get the most out of it, but it is capable of great accuracy. Typical for a Tikka.

Not kidding about the Tikka, weight, and fundamentals.

All my rifles can outshoot me. If not off bags. Even then..sometimes.

Seriously considering adding weight to the Tikka.
It's just too wobbly off hand.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
My 20" .308 is the first rifle I grab more often than not.

It simply performs without any drama. Kills everything from coyotes to elk.
Being a lightweight little rifle, you have to really pay attention to your fundamentals to get the most out of it, but it is capable of great accuracy. Typical for a Tikka.

Not kidding about the Tikka, weight, and fundamentals.

All my rifles can outshoot me. If not off bags. Even then..sometimes.

Seriously considering adding weight to the Tikka.
It's just too wobbly off hand.

Marksmanship sling?

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Talking a while back with DarlaG on here about the 7600 Police in .308 with a 16.5 inch barrel, he told me when you shoot one, "Ducks and geese fly back north for the winter!" I still want one, though. I think the rear peep was by Wilson Combat and did not use the rear scope base screw holes so, you could scope it conventionally if you wanted. I have no issue with my 18.5 inch barrel .30-06 7600 recoil-wise as a hunting gun. It's not fun to shoot from a bench, though. Carbines are fun and quick-feeling to carry and hunt with. I'd go 18.5 if I were you, Shaman. Cool project and thanks for introducing me to Sell.

"One should not talk to a skilled hunter about what is forbidden by the Buddha."

- Hsiang-yen by way of Gary Snyder
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
1eyedmule,
I had one of the 308 7600 police carbine rifles. I bought it brand new back in 2006, upon return from my second Iraq deployment.

It was the most inaccurate rifle I've ever owned. 6-8 inch groups with everything.

It jammed occasionally.

It was very heavy for what it was.

No, you couldn't keep the Wilson combat peep affixed if you mounted a scope.

Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 05/01/23.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
mainer in ak, That doesn't sound good! Hopefully, you kept it. I think, they're worth a small fortune now.

"One should not talk to a skilled hunter about what is forbidden by the Buddha."

- Hsiang-yen by way of Gary Snyder
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I had an 18.5” Remington Model Seven in .308Win. I found out that I didn’t like the pencil barrel and the muzzle blast. Replaced it with a 22” Winchester Featherweight also in .308Win.

A little longer and a little heavier suits me better. The Featherweight with an Aimpoint or a Leupold 1.5-5x20mm is about the same weight as a Marlin 336 and the ergonomics for me are much better. So that’s my answer to a handy carbine, especially with an Aimpoint micro on it.

Lately I’m even starting to think a 24” sporter with a McMillan Edge and the Aimpoint Micro might be even more my speed. Holds steadier, even less muzzle blast. I can carry a 26” 20 gauge 870 in the woods all day for grouse and call it a handy upland gun, but suddenly 24” is too long in a rifle? Go figure.

Last edited by philthygeezer; 05/25/23.
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1234, 63 invisible), 2,349 guests, and 1,275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,394
Posts18,488,802
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.