Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
iI am a retired member of the California State Bar and the US Supreme Court Bar. As an "Inactive Member" (aka "Retired) I'm ineligible to practice law without a plethora of educational classes. Frankly as it should be for those who been away from practice for years.
I wouldn't touch your question in terms of legal, social, banter; any such advice! Not fair to you or any possible reader here who might "construe" it applicable to them. We live in a society where "knowing" any law nowadays, as "tentative". The laws change regularly. What some State Appellate Court may decide or a Federal District Court, can change the law! Anyway, enough of that.
If it makes you, our O/P feel better in public opinion seeking, just realize its a false sense of security to rely on it.

My honest advice I would give one of my sons if asked. "Don't go there!" Not speaking of travels, but of transporting concealable handguns. It's the ultimate "burden/benefit", "the law" a consideration. So the likelihood of self defense requiring during your travels. But for the average Joe, Jane & Kids, the regulatory environment is stacked against you. Your journey begins as you accept that fact and short of obvious objective need or some feeling of deep comfort only when packing... Don't go there!
I understand this isn't your question or what you want, or anyone else here. But the comment above amounting to a holiday wrecking event based on misunderstanding...

I've lived around the world, literally. But 'home' as California. Like most States, there are locales of common knowledge, folks don't wisely go. Areas of big cities especially. I've never had any trouble nor have I ever felt threatened in the U.S. I understand folks are different and feel their rights infringed. Hell! They are! So be it. You' can assert your rights! "We, the people..." has value and meaning, but sadly "at a price". I'm now into old man rant 'pending'. Not for here! Simply my "recommendation as person to person!
Best & Safe Passage on your travels!
John

GB1

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Joe, thanks for posting the city code. I had forgotten about it. To my knowledge, people never enforce that city code. I was thinking state law, but it still looks like unloaded mags are fine.

Whatever. You’re probably right in the point of be careful in Portland. And the Op will likely be totally fine with the effort he is making to fall inside the rules. It’s not the cops to worry about there anyways. It’s the politicians.

Also, just don’t mention you have it with you. There are like ten guys in the entire city that make traffic stops for things like speeding. They just got a traffic division back. Be normal, you’ll get through this

Last edited by ThereIsPeace; 05/26/23.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ThereIsPeace
Joe, thanks for posting the city code. I had forgotten about it. To my knowledge, people never enforce that city code. I was thinking state law, but it still looks like unloaded mags are fine.

That's not how I read it...

[Quote]B. It is unlawful for any person to knowingly possess or carry a firearm and that firearm’s clip or magazine, in or upon a public place, including while in a vehicle in a public place, recklessly having failed to remove all the ammunition from the clip or magazine.

I don't know what "recklessly" is supposed to mean, but it doesn't look friendly.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good idea to have a hunting license, a book on hunting predators or wascally wabbits, and/or a few paper targets and a small pack on board.

I exaggerate, of course.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Right, unloaded magazine. This is a silly side argument.

The recklessly part is the culpable
Mental state to prove a crime. Intentionally, knowingly, recklessly with extreme indifference to human life, recklessly, negligently. I think I got them all.

They assume that if you didn’t unload a magazine it is at least reckless. It’s poorly worded. And it’s dumb

Last edited by ThereIsPeace; 05/27/23.
IC B2

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

302 members (160user, 1Longbow, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 1badf350, 32 invisible), 1,932 guests, and 928 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,658
Posts18,512,779
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.