Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MrWilson
Everyone I know that has a Ram has had problems. Transmission issues. Unless they have the really expensive hd truck or the diesel.

It's hard to convince people who have made up their mind, but I'll toss this out there for anyone to consider. The German made ZF transmission is used extensively throughout the Dodge, Jeep, Ram line. Other than an occasional clunk, which my Toyotas also had and doesn't affect performance, they have proven to be exceptionally reliable.

https://blog.fcpeuro.com/zf-8-speed...-common-problems-diagnostics-maintenance

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My luck is cursed to be sure. Toyota is generally regarded as the most reliable truck on the market. A Tundra and a Tacoma are the only trucks I have ever owned that required non-wear item repairs before I sold them.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
4cyl =Stick , it will be a pig with an auto especially climbing steep hills

This ^^^
I don't think Toyota offers 2.7 + 5spd any longer.

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
My luck is cursed to be sure. Toyota is generally regarded as the most reliable truck on the market. A Tundra and a Tacoma are the only trucks I have ever owned that required non-wear item repairs before I sold them.
After reading many of your firearm purchasing adventures, I’m beginning to think it’s you.

P
PBR Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
My main truck is a Toyota with a 22RE engine and it suits me fine for everything (95%) of what I do. That said I shoot elk and antelope with a 30-30. It depends on your expectations.

IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
They redid the entire Tacoma lineup for 2024 and the base engine is a 2.4L with a turbocharger. You can still get a six speed manual and the auto option is an 8 speed.

I wouldn't let the turbocharger bother me for a minute, there's not a reason to be afraid of one.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
They redid the entire Tacoma lineup for 2024 and the base engine is a 2.4L with a turbocharger. You can still get a six speed manual and the auto option is an 8 speed.

I wouldn't let the turbocharger bother me for a minute, there's not reason to be afraid of one.
Nice !
I just looked at a review.
Toyota is one of the few manufacturers (the only ?) that recognizes that some owners want to do more than just steer.

smile

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Direct_Drive
Originally Posted by Crow hunter

I wouldn't let the turbocharger bother me for a minute, there's not reason to be afraid of one.
Nice !
I just looked at a review.
Toyota is one of the few manufacturers (the only ?) that recognizes that some owners want to do more than just steer.

smile

Toyota also sells cars and trucks in every major and non major country in this world where automatics don't exist.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Sadly, they still don't sell those utterly indestructible Hi-Lux models here.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would get one if the price was reasonable.
Newer ones seem to be 3K cheaper. 3.5 or 2.7 go pretty quick around here. Usually the 2.7 is SR with rear jump seats and longer bed. Rear seat would be my labs area. I like sticks, but I think those are not widely popular.

Local dealer has a 2020 SR V6 with 15k miles. So I guess the 36 month warranty is played out. Anyway 35K, and new slicker for 34K. So that is insulting.

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
If you don’t buy it, let me know. I might fly down to buy it.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gregintenn
After reading many of your firearm purchasing adventures, I’m beginning to think it’s you.

it IS me.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Only towing I may do is a small trailer for a lawn tractor. I just need something cheap and reliable with a decent size bed for typical home owner hunny doo list.

Tacomas normally aren't cheap because they're reliable. In general, you can have cheap OR reliable but it's hard to get both.

cheap in that I can get the 4cyl for thousands less than the v6. All the V6 tacomas I see advertised are loaded up with stuff I do not need. And advertised at 36.5k up into the mid 40k. 4cyl I can get from 29k-34k top.

You can get a Ram 1500 classic 6 cylinder for that much. Modern Rams are very good trucks. It has a larger bed, is MUCH more comfortable, rides MUCH better, gets better fuel economy and tows more/better.
Do the Ram engines last 250K miles without so much as a sneeze other than change oil and filters on a regular basis?

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Even if the Ram engine did the rest of the truck will crap out.

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Mr Wilson. I didn't notice, are you buying new?

I can't speak for new, just my 22 year old Tacoma with the 2.7, 4WD extra cab, 5 speed manual. Purchased with 100k miles on it, now has 265k or so at last fill up. Been as reliable as I could ask for. Multiple trips every year from Central CA to E WA, and that's not flat driving. At least two trips a year it had at least 500lb of stuff in the bed, along with the always present fiberglass camper shell and the pipe rack over that. And it towed a cargo trailer with another 500 lbs or so of stuff, up and down mountain grades, including a couple of times on the White Bird Hill in ID.

Yeah, with a 4 cyl you'll need to downshift on hills...............that's what transmissions are designed for.

Good luck if you decide to purchase one. Actually, it will probably be good design rather than luck going in your favor.

Oh, I think I forgot to mention the 110lb boat up top during those trips too:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

169 members (1minute, 29aholic, 10gaugemag, 805, 338reddog, 45_100, 20 invisible), 2,307 guests, and 999 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,758
Posts18,514,931
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.