Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I’ve got a couple of suppressors coming in before too long. I don’t have a threaded 22LR so it’s time to find one. I’ve looked at the CZ 457 Luz with the 16.5” barrel, the Tikka T1X with the short barrel, and the Ruger American options. I don’t buy junk so I’d like something that can last me a lifetime. I’ll also be looking for a 22oz stop, but that’s another thread. With what you guys know what would you buy for squirrels, plinking, and all around just killin stuff?

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have the 452, T1x, and RAR. All are good, accurate rifles. As far as heirloom quality, I’d say the CZ and Tikka are about even. Of course the Ruger is the least elegant of the three but just as capable in the field.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
All three of the options you mention would be good choices. Doubt you would go wrong with any. I’ve been working with a T1X 20” lately. Very happy with its performance so far.

Used a few Ruger American’s with good results although only one was treaded.

No experience with a CZ457 but have plenty with their 452’s and 455. All have been excellent.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
There is another low end option which I wouldn't consider junk but, it doesn't have the fit/finish of the T1 or the CZ. I also have the Savage MkII FV-SR which is a great .22 suppressor host. The stock is the cheapest part and some have issues with the extractor but mine is very accurate.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I think you'll have a much higher chance of accuracy with the Tikka or CZ. I haven't been impressed with the Ruger American's I've shot. I'm normally not a huge Savage fan, but I do have the MKII FV-SR that wreckstr84 mentioned and it's very accurate. I picked it up used because the guy was selling it dirt cheap. It's built cheaper for sure, but it shoot much better than I'd have predicted.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yep, Tikka, CZ or Savage, Ruger's quality control has not impressed me over the last 6-7 years.

I have examples of all three - T1x, a CZ 457 Varmint and Savage Mark II BV and honestly, with the ammo each one likes they all shoot within .1" of each other. The triggers on the Tikka and CZ are great out of the box and can be reduced to 1 or 1.5 pounds with an easy $10 spring change. The Savage accutrigger isn't quite as light but it's still pretty darn good. The action won't be anywhere near as smooth as the other two but they do smooth out with use.

You'd probably want a new stock for the Savage which would add another $200 or so if you get one from Boyd's.

Of the three, I'd recommend the Tikka purely from personal preference. I sure do like the CZ and Savage and shoot them regularly but the T1x just seems to punch all the right buttons.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
What about a 10-22 like this one. It has a Clark (Walther) threaded barrel, AAC can, custom trigger, glassed walnut stock. Loudest sound is bolt closing and bullet strike. It shoots about as well as my CZ.

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I only have two suppressor-ready .22 rifles. One is factory, being an Anschutz with 18" magnum-contour barrel.

This other one is a Clark 10-22 like Dirtfarmer mentions. Mine's one of their SS barreled actions that I pulled from the Hogue stock and dropped in a MagPul. Probably my favorite plinker when the can is attached.

Now with even more aplomb
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by JPro
I only have two suppressor-ready .22 rifles. One is factory, being an Anschutz with 18" magnum-contour barrel.

This other one is a Clark 10-22 like Dirtfarmer mentions. Mine's one of their SS barreled actions that I pulled from the Hogue stock and dropped in a MagPul. Probably my favorite plinker when the can is attached.

How bad does the Annie beat the Clark 10-22, or does it?

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Another option is a heavy barrel, threaded Ruger .22 pistol. I keep this one in my deer hunting pack for squirrels that bug me in the box stand and coons strolling thru the food plot.

It's really quiet, doesn't seem to bother the deer. I shoot subsonic Rem and CCI HP ammo. Big ole red dot, not too pretty, but it works OK.

Uses the same AAC can seen on the Clark 10-22.

DF

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Picked up a .16” Tikka T1x a bit back myself. With my Silencerco Sparrow and CCI Std Vel’s, its very accurate and very quiet… more than pleased with it myself! Prior to this rifle, the Sparrow spent most of its time on a M&P 15-22 - a lot of fun but not as accurate or quiet, to no surprise.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
CZ's,Annie 64's,Teekers,Salvage and 10/22's all suck ass,compared to the REAL schit. Hint................

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
If I was to throw a new barrel on my 10-22 which manufacturer would you all suggest?

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Oklahomahunter
If I was to throw a new barrel on my 10-22 which manufacturer would you all suggest?
I've used Clark and Volquartsen, both shoot really well. There are a number of really good choices.

DF

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I have been pleased with my Fedderson.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I also have a Feddersen, very pleased with it.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Oklahomahunter

Kidd would be my first stop but I also have a VQ and a tac-sol I can't complain about

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I typically just thread whatever barrels I want on my lathe, but the savage fv-sr works great. And is plenty accurate enough for squirrel headshots so you don't waste any meat.

I'll also edit to add, bolt action is where it's at if you're wanting to use the most quiet host. Semi's have some port pop by nature and design. But bolt actions, especially if you're using the quiet subsonics, can get down close to red ryder bb gun territory.

Last edited by johna1; 06/06/23.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by johna1
I typically just thread whatever barrels I want on my lathe, but the savage fv-sr works great. And is plenty accurate enough for squirrel headshots so you don't waste any meat.

I'll also edit to add, bolt action is where it's at if you're wanting to use the most quiet host. Semi's have some port pop by nature and design. But bolt actions, especially if you're using the quiet subsonics, can get down close to red ryder bb gun territory.

Yeah, bolts are quieter.

DF

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Even a factory ruger 10/22 barrel did well enough to put food on the table for me. If the expensive aftermarket barrels make them shoot even better, that would be a neat trick.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

497 members (1minute, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 219DW, 222ND, 48 invisible), 2,505 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,290
Posts18,505,220
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.