Print Thread
Hop To
R
RinB Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Any information regarding weight loss caused by fluting sporter weight barrels?
I realize loss will vary depending on contour and bore but am looking for general numbers.
Thanks

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
GB1

Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member

“Might does not make right but it sure makes what is.”
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I like the aesthetics of fluted barrels like 700 CDL-SF AND 700 LVSF among others, but don't think that the minimal weight reduction would be worth whatever a competent 'smith would charge to do it. Ahlman's in Morristown, MN, charges $250 for straight flutes, more for diamond or spiral patterns. For me the cost to have Ahlman's cut flutes wouldn't be worth a few ounces of weight reduction or even for the aesthetic benefit.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I've had a ton of barrels fluted... if we're talking about a 7mm or 30 cal sporter weight/sporter length barrels (20-22inches), you'll save 4-5 ounces as a rule of thumb. Maybe a little more if the barrel is longer and the contour is in in the #3 or #4 range.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I very recently discussed this with Karl Kampfeld regarding my 416 Rem M70. Years ago I swapped the factory wood stock for a McM Express stock that weighs significantly less. As such it is heavy out front. His shop is close to my place so I am going to bring it up when we go for the summer and likely have him flute it.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I have a Bartlein 3-B that has (6) flutes, 16-in ln length, and if I remember correctly, the weight difference quoted from Bartlein was 7.5-oz.

AKA The P-Man smile

If you cherish your memories with kids, be a good role model . . . . so the RIGHT memories of you mean something to them.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Lilja's barrel weight spreadsheet that you can download will let you calc weight savings from various fluting configurations. Also, IIRC, you can do the same on Pac-nor's website.

While I like the looks of a fluted barrel, even on a 26" magnum barrel with 6 flutes, the savings was only ~6 oz ??? Douglas will not flute a barrel. However they are close. And they have a fast turn around. I eventually had Douglas rebarrel the action and just shave 0.025" off the diameter of the straight section of the barrel. Zero cost to slightly reduce the barrel diameter versus $125-$150 fluting charge. Got the barreled action back in 16 days. And very close to the weight target I was looking for. I'm happy.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Orion2000
Lilja's barrel weight spreadsheet that you can download will let you calc weight savings from various fluting configurations. Also, IIRC, you can do the same on Pac-nor's website.

While I like the looks of a fluted barrel, even on a 26" magnum barrel with 6 flutes, the savings was only ~6 oz ??? Douglas will not flute a barrel. However they are close. And they have a fast turn around. I eventually had Douglas rebarrel the action and just shave 0.025" off the diameter of the straight section of the barrel. Zero cost to slightly reduce the barrel diameter versus $125-$150 fluting charge. Got the barreled action back in 16 days. And very close to the weight target I was looking for. I'm happy.

No open sights I presume?

Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member

Sort of the same approach I took with my last build, neither Bartlein nor my smith were fans of fluting a 2B, so I just took the weight off the back end by using a 3/4" "cylinder" length and leaving the barrel length at 24". It came out weighing just a couple ounces over a Rem Magnum profile. Overall weight with the Manners EH3 is just at 6lbs, 9 ounces, right about where I wanted to be with a stripped 300WM.

Last edited by Chuck_R; 05/29/23.

“Might does not make right but it sure makes what is.”
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by EdM

No, sir. .300H&H. Slick barrel. Swarovski on top.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
RinB
When you could get a Rock barrel say 3s and 4s you could loose 6 oz or so.
I have several and like them.
Tend to put them on rifles that would take years to shoot out so I just eat the cost.
I have always been uncomfortable having anyone other than the barrel manufacturer flute it.
Thought about the carbon wrap stuff but just looking at it .I'm thinking you'll have to mount your scope higher ....
dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by EdM

Thought so. My 416 Rem has a banded front sight, banded sling swivel and a Wisner rear sight. The cost of replacing those vs. what fluting might provide is not small.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
You would be better off ordering a new barrel a size heavier that was fluted, as opposed to ordering a light weight sporter. However pulling an existing barrel, fluting, polishing the flutes, refinishing the exterior barrel surface, re-crowning, then remounting the barrel is not really economical. Unless you do all of the work yourself and even then, you have a used barrel with many hours work into it.

“To expect defeat is nine-tenths of defeat itself. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is best to plan for all eventualities then believe in success, and only cross the failure bridge if you come to it."
Francis Marion - The Swamp Fox
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by EdM

Thought so. My 416 Rem has a banded front sight, banded sling swivel and a Wisner rear sight. The cost of replacing those vs. what fluting might provide is not small.

Ahhh... Re-read the full post. I had Douglas fit a new barrel to my LH Win M70 action. I wanted approx a Douglas 4.5 barrel contour (0.675" @ 26" muzzle). However, Douglas does not do "half sizes". However, for no charge, on request they will contour a barrel such that the straight section is "XX" thousands smaller diameter than the specified contour. So, I ordered a #5 barrel contour (nominal 0.700" muzzle) that was turned 0.025" smaller diameter through the straight section. Roughly 4.5 contour, for no cost.

For an existing barrel, which already has sight bases, sight dovetails, banded sights, banded sling swivels... Absolutely easier to find someone to pull the barrel, flute it, and re-fit it... My apologies for the misunderstanding. I assumed we were starting with a raw action and fitting a new barrel...

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
No worries. I will bring it up and drop by his shop and see what he thinks. Do nothing is an OK answer.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 06hunter59, 1beaver_shooter, 64 invisible), 2,474 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,596
Posts18,492,216
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.