-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
18 years ago I coated my garage floor with the Behr 1 part epoxy concrete coating that Home Depot sells. I am amazed at how well it has held up. I sanded and acid etched the floor before applying the primer and coating. The product they sell now is self priming. It dries to a satin finish and is not at all slippery.
If you want to do it yourself this is the direction I would go. I have never had any tire lift, flaking or peeling and the floor has been power scrubbed a few times with no issues.
I painted professionally for several years and I am amazed at how well this product has worked out for a 1 part epoxy.
As others have said above, whatever you decide to use, the surface prep is absolutely critical. If you skip doing a thorough prep the product will likely fail.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
All good info here. Ground moisture was a big problem for us in some areas dependent on ground prep for concrete. We always preferred to do our own concrete if we were coating a floor, and most of my experience was with cementitious coatings and acid staining. I schooled myself on epoxies and polyurea. Prep work is the key , for sure! You can hire a contractor , but it is so gratifying to do something like that yourself, just do your homework!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you get something that has the 3 or 4 different speckled colors don't plan on easily seeing small parts, screw, springs after you drop them. I would want 1 color.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Best to do epoxy paint on a new, thoroughly dry floor. I did it to my garage 6 years ago, and it's wearing well, tho as said, slick when wet. Considering the abuse it gets. I did it mostly for a seal.
Having seen an acid-etched? and polished floor in a hanger outside Columbus MT, I'd go that route if doing it again, especially for looks.

I did not put in the colored specks. Dirt is bad enough for finding small parts, on a very light blue-grey paint job.

Oh yeah, if installing a M70 striker spring, keep the bay door shut..... mine had a range the full length of the 40' garage, and 15-20 more. smile

Magnets are your friend. Amazing how much magnetic dirt there is out there on that gravel drive. (I found the retainer - and closed the bay door)

Feel free to ask me for more garage gunsmithing tips.

Last edited by las; 05/27/23.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Steve Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks guys. Keep em coming. On the way to the new house with a tape measure. smile

Carpe' Scrotum
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There is a decent chance of water seepage if you have a high water table. Be careful.

-Ken

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I used a Vexcon product on a garage floor, it was not a 2 part epoxy. I have an old Walker Car-Roll floor jack. You can easily move a car around the shop on the jack. The floor coating didn't like it and peeled in some spots while moving an old car around.

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Have had epoxy for 25 years or so. We used a light color--don't! It shows dirty anything. We'll go to a darker color this Fall-- maybe dark gray. It has been great here in the desert. Little moisture to deal with and it certainly handles the 100+ degree days well.

Retired cat herder.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Steve
Thanks guys. Keep em coming. On the way to the new house with a tape measure. smile

Just another idea

Floor drop ? Floor drains ?

My 30' deep garage drops 3" to the the south for drainage

Makes water hose clean up easier which is coming soon

Maybe your is poured already

My ? Where did all this stuff come from ?

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm old school, cardboard.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I did my 4 car garage and my friend's 3 car garage 17 years ago. I used commercial grade 2 part primer and epoxy from PPG. I met the local PPG guy while working in a private aircraft hangar and he agreed to sell me the materials. I purchased a shot blast machine and commercial grade shop vac system off Ebay for ~$3,500, the materials were another $3,500 - this was in 2006. It took 2 days of work to shot blast the concrete, grinder in the corners and edges, clean up all the shot with rolling magnet, vacuum, etc. Then a day to lay down the primer, let it dry for 2 days, then a solid day to lay down the final epoxy. I mixed in a sand like silicate from PPG to give the floor some "grab" so it wasn't like a hockey rink when wet. It still didn't work very well as I laid the epoxy too thick and the aggregate settled to the bottom in most places. When we were done with both houses I listed the shot machine, grinder, shop vac on Ebay and sold it for exactly what I paid for it. To a local business no less, amazingly lucky. If I remember correctly I figured I saved about $5k doing it myself (2006 dollars) but it was A LOT of work.

Lessons learned:
1. Hire someone else to do it the next time.
2. REALLY, REALLY hire someone else to do it next time
3. A few times a year when it goes from cold to warm in less than 24 hours (+20 degree increase) condensation covers the entire floor and it is slicker than whale snot in an ice flow. You will bust your ass if not careful.
4. Mine is a solid light grey color, not as attractive as floors that have those color chips mixed in but whenever I drop a screw or spring on the floor I can see it easily vs. never finding it again.
5. The floor has never delaminated except for the skirts where the garage door comes down. I shouldn't have coated these as it is exposed to the elements and the rain/ice has broken some pieces loose which I have ground down and patched in with material.
6. I love having the floor coated, but I will never do it again myself. Did I mention that already?!

[Linked Image]

Last edited by cotis; 05/27/23. Reason: photo added

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had an epoxy garage floor. Guaranteed for 10 years. Lasted about 1. I had it ceramic sanded with the buffer, acid etched and then professionally applied. Hot car tires when you pull in the garage lifts it up off the concrete. I ended up covering it with Swisstrax. Looks good after 11 years. They put together like legos. Takes about 2 hours to do a 3 car garage. I’ve taken them apart 2 times (every 5 years or so) and power wash them. Look like new.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just did my shop floor (new building) a month ago and used a commercial company I've dealt with on other projects. I wanted to match the company colors so I purchased the chips online ( 15 pounds for approx 2200 sq ft for medium coverage).Grit was incorporated into the process so there is no slip when wet.I've used the same combination at my other shop without issue.
Prices run 4 to 6 dollars a square where I live when you call around....I did a bit better then the low number and it is a no brainer if it is in the budget.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Patron member, NRA, Life Member SCI,
Steve Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tikkanut
Originally Posted by Steve

Just another idea

Floor drop ? Floor drains ?

My 30' deep garage drops 3" to the the south for drainage

Makes water hose clean up easier which is coming soon

Maybe your is poured already

My ? Where did all this stuff come from ?

It's poured. Has about a 3" pitch from the back to the doors. Buddy talked me into putting a Hot/Cold hose bib in there. Seems like it might be a nice thing to have.

Turns out it's about 840 ft² or ~$4200 at $5 a foot.

Gonna call around and get some quotes. Like to do it before we start moving stuff in. Otherwise it will never get done. wink

Last edited by Steve; 05/28/23.

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Best thing I ever did. Looks nice a so easy to clean. I don't remember the per square foot price, but my two car garage was right at $1200 back in '21. The only time I have noticed it being slick when wet is if I'm wearing very smooth soles like flip flops.

[Linked Image from thumbs4.imagebam.com]

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
good to know about the acid etch

I'm going to be doing a garage floor and front porch next month. I'll do the prep work ahead of time.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My son did 3 of them this past year (including mine) Looks awesome but was a lot of work. Not sure he wants to do a fourth grin I ended up helping him and would concur...saved a ton of money over commercial bids however.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Our club house had the floor epoxy coated a couple years ago. So far it is holding up. Building temperature goes from comfortable to northern michigan cold as we only heat the main area, which is part of our indoor range, when there are people using it.

We hired a professional installer.

Last edited by Szumi; 05/28/23.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

158 members (2UP, 44mc, 10Glocks, 1100mag, 22 invisible), 1,494 guests, and 1,002 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,749
Posts18,495,266
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.