Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
The wife struggles with backlash when casting my old Garcia level wind. They make the new ones with the magnetic anti backlash or some fancy schit. What is a good level wind with the anti backlash for catfish and salmon/steelhead? Money not a big issue..........yet! The partners wife uses a spinning reel and reels when she shouldn't and twists the line all up.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by papalondog
The wife struggles with backlash when casting my old Garcia level wind. They make the new ones with the magnetic anti backlash or some fancy schit. What is a good level wind with the anti backlash for catfish and salmon/steelhead? Money not a big issue..........yet! The partners wife uses a spinning reel and reels when she shouldn't and twists the line all up.

Have been using ABU GARCIA AMBASSADEUR 5500-C3 for bass and catfish for decades.

Outstanding reels.

GR

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have long since given up on bait casters. I can backlash the very best anti-backlash mechanisms.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Okuma makes some good ones. I use the Komodo model for big pike and musky. You may look at what they offer?

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Lew’s makes some decent stuff, and even their $69 models put the old Garcia’s to shame, when it comes to smoothness and backlash control.

I’ve got several of the old Ambassadeur’s (when they were making them ALL in Sweden). Fun for “reminiscing”, but plenty of other options out there, that make it easier to cast.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Get her a Pflueger 400 spincaster. Problem solved.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Here's another vote for Lew's Speed Spools. I've got about 10 old Garcia Ambassadeur reels that didn't cast as well as these modern reels even when they were new. Spend a 100 on a new Lew's reel for her and you won't regret it.

A true friend is someone who reaches for your
hand but touches your heart !!!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Ditto for Lew's or Okuma. I have both. Watch a few YouTubes on how to set one up.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by fburgtx
Lew’s makes some decent stuff, and even their $69 models put the old Garcia’s to shame, when it comes to smoothness and backlash control.

I’ve got several of the old Ambassadeur’s (when they were making them ALL in Sweden). Fun for “reminiscing”, but plenty of other options out there, that make it easier to cast.

I have the old Garcia's which are great reels. Have one Lew's and it is my favorite steelhead reel for casting lures. Cabelas has the Garcia Revo X on sale. Anyone have experience with that?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The new reel technology helps to prevent backlash but it is still possible to birdnest if the caster has poor technique. I'd give her casting technique a hard look. I like Lew's reels but there are good ones in every companies line up.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I think most if not all baitcasters have the magnetic anti-backlash option, at least the dozens I have do. You have to adjust your “magnet” to the weight of your offering and line test for the best results. Reel up and with the rod tip held high release the spool. When the business end hits the ground the spool should stop…if it doesn’t just twist the anti-backlash dial until it does.

I’m probably not explaining this good but I hope it helps. Practice in the yard with a rubber weight. Don’t use braid until you know she’ll never backlash again or you’ll be regretting the braid, it can get impossible to get a backlash out of braid…..or at least that’s what other’s tell me. 😀

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I was always a Shimano fan when I use to bass fish a lot. I don't know if they still make the Calcuttas but those were fantastic. I still have three of those on rods somewhere.

I also have some of the Curados which I used a lot more than the Calcuttas. Not as smooth but I really liked the feel.

Last edited by EIB0879; 05/28/23.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There is no reason not to use a (quality) spinning reel these days. With braided line, spool capacity is sufficient and drag quality has improved dramatically in the last couple of decades. They are easier to cast, particularly into the wind or when using long leaders and the handles transfer from side to side to accommodate all anglers.

Baitlcasters require practice. Spinners, not so much.

The only advantage of a baitcaster is "control"...the ability to place your bait with pinpoint accuracy.

Obviously, we're not talking about reels that have to hold 1000 yards of 100# test.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If she's willing to practice some and you and she are set on a baitcaster get her a reel with a magnetic anti backlash device.

Otherwise make it easy and get her a decent, probably around a hundred bucks, open face spinning combo. Put some 20 lb braid with a fluro or mono leader on it. Show her how to cast it, reel it and how the drag works works. I'd bet she'll learn how to use it well enough to fish with in most situations in less than fifteen minutes. 20 lb braid's about as thick as 8lb mono and overall easier to use on a spinning reel than mono.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I agree with Lt….. spinning takes a lot of the frustration out of it.

I’ve used BIG Penn Spinning reels for butterfly jigs at 400+ feet in Hawaii for Jacks which usually turned into half a Jack or a shark before you broke through 250 feet. Not as fun as it sounds…😀

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
The problem with those old Garcia's I had was the level wind moved back and forth when you cast out.One little speck of trash would stall it and it was pocket knife time getting the backlash out.I bought my first Shimano Bantam 10SG back in 1984.That really changed my world.The level wind didn't move when you cast.The narrow spool made it better for light thumb drag on the spool when casting.The magnetic brake control worked great especially casting into the wind.And best of all,if you ever did get a backlash,it was really easy to get out,unlike the Garcia.I wore out a good number of reels since then.The reels I use today are Shimano Calcutta's.Those reels don't have the magnetic brake I wish they had,but they are well built,easy to service and made to last for many years of use.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
My daughter and grand daughter bought me a very nice Lews casting rod and reel. I watch my grand daughter place lures with surgical precision. Then she hands it to me.

Fugg that! I have tried super braid, tried light mono, filled it with 20 lb flouro. It does not matter. Every other cast, I am cutting the schitt out of it with my pocket knife, until the spool is empty.

Hey, it makes a great trolling rod off the bacck of the boat. That is where it lives now.

Give me back my Shimano and Flueger spinners.

A GOOD spincaster does solve a lot of problems for the beginner.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
They catch several hundred lb tuna on spinning gear...

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EIB0879
I was always a Shimano fan when I use to bass fish a lot. I don't know if they still make the Calcuttas but those were fantastic. I still have three of those on rods somewhere.
I have a shimano calcutta reel on a stiff ugly stick for sturgeon/striper fishing.

Great, smooth reel but free spool button is too big when setting a hook. One touch on the button it's birdnest city.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I would rather use a spinning reel or just go with a Zebco 303. grin

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

182 members (2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 450yukon, 1_deuce, 45_100, 33 invisible), 2,248 guests, and 1,053 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,704
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.