Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
I need something to put my breakfast in, and keep it hot(at least warm)while hunting. I need a container that would hold a couple of servings of oatmeal. I got some Alladin brand thing and it stinks. Id rather have something "bowl like" as opposed to a coffee thermos with a wide mouth. I take eating seriously, and appropriate tableware is very important to me. I wouldnt eat oatmeal out of a cup, and I sure as hell dont want to eat it out of a coffee thermos. I almost broke my teeth on a bowl of frozen oatmeal. Any help would be appreciated.

GB1

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
our kids have "soup thermos' " that are as wide as tall with flat screw on lids. not SS (injection molded) but keep soup warm til lunch. just a thought.

and you can pick your favorite Crayloa color grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Eat your oatmeal before you head out. Eat easy to carry stuff while out there.
Are you serious about "appropriate table wear" out hunting?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Tupperware, heavy duty tin foil, ziploc back, bigass wool sock. Or two. In that order. Never tried it while hunting but it worked when I used to survey in the wintertime. I suppose you could throw a handwarmer in there too. MRE heaters work well but they stink to high heaven, possibly not the best option if you're on a stand.

But that's a lot of work for oatmeal. Why not carry piping hot water in a little thermos and make it cast-in-place instead of pre-formed? Or get you a backpackers stove?

SD

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by 700LH

I enjoy eating out in the woods, and from a logistical point, I save a lot of time making my breakfast to go, as opposed to having breakfast before I leave for hunting. Breakfast often becomes gossip hour, and before you know it, the sun is on its way up, and we are just getting in the car, or in the woods. Winds up I get an extra hour of sleep-which is a lot considering I dont arrive at camp until midnight the night before hunting.
Also, my body and mind work better when I have a late breakfast 730-830)-breakfast at 500am is a bit early for me.
This past season was the first time I started eating breakfast in the woods, and it really worked out great-except when it became rifle season, and my storage container wont cut it in the colder (below 30) weather.
As far as tableware- I bring high quality silverware, a nice camo table cloth, a fine china coffee cup, and a fine linen napkin(camo of course) complete with napkin ring. I will forsake the appearance of my table and go with a food container, INSTEAD OF A FINE BOWL, because bringing a nice bowl into the woods would be somewhat impractical.

IC B2

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by corporal cleg
I need something to put my breakfast in, and keep it hot(at least warm)while hunting. I need a container that would hold a couple of servings of oatmeal. I got some Alladin brand thing and it stinks. Id rather have something "bowl like" as opposed to a coffee thermos with a wide mouth. I take eating seriously, and appropriate tableware is very important to me. I wouldnt eat oatmeal out of a cup, and I sure as hell dont want to eat it out of a coffee thermos. I almost broke my teeth on a bowl of frozen oatmeal. Any help would be appreciated.

Now, just what is wrong with frozen Pop-Tarts and coffee slush for Breakfast?

Mmmmm.....??

Jeesh........

[Linked Image]
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
You're missing the ohh so obvious solution.

Go hunt where it ain't cold!! (grin)

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I just carry a zip lock bag of oatmeal under my armpit, if I am really hungry, a second one on the other side. Don't ask me where I keep the grits.

NRA Life Member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Stanley makes a 20 oz. food container with a fork and spoon. http://www.stanley-pmi.com/shop/product_detail.aspx?ProductID=17
Thermos/Nissan makes several. http://www.thermos.com/product_catalog.aspx?CatCode=NISS&SubcategoryID=2 The All-In-One looks interesting.

You probably have the Stanley/Aladdin 24 oz. food jar. http://www.stanley-pmi.com/shop/product_detail.aspx?ProductID=7 I have one as well, and it does keep stuff hot for about half a day. Maybe yours has a leak in the vacuum insulation?

Last edited by jackfish; 12/05/07.

You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
a soft insulated bag with a tupper bowl... heat with chem handwarmers before chow time...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just pack my crack with cornstarch. After a couple hours of stalking, I have warm gravy for the biscuits in my armpits. grin

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by wildswalker

Now, just what is wrong with frozen Pop-Tarts and coffee slush for Breakfast?

Mmmmm.....??

Jeesh........

Uggghhh. I wouldnt feed that crap to a cat, and I dont like cats.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Some form of smoked salmon, the oilier the better, sounds like the right answer to me. Munch your oatmeal as a stick/brick of Nature Valley excellence and some hot coffee after to cover the fruit group and you're good to go with a balance start to the day. wink

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't understand the need for fine china in the woods but then I tend to be on the Neanderthal side and have worked in the woods a good percentage of my life ate off my knife blade or carved my own spoon when i have forgotten one, the food seemed to not mind nor did I. To each his own my man, more power to ya, if you want to eat off fine china do it.
If I wanted good fresh Oatmeal I would be checking out backpack stoves and cook wear. take along a tiny stove and make fresh food where ever I happen to be. Why carry food made hours ago when you can have fresh? Fresh oatmeal with milk, honey and raisins is one of my favorites. Good luck.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
To me the big question is How can you eat oatmeal anyways? Nasty, nasty stuff. Less is be in cookies etc... Give me a salami sandwich anyday.:>)

Long

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I just take a thermos full of boiling water along with a plastic bowl and some instant porridge - works nice enough for me and I haven't broken any teeth on frozen oatmeal.

- John Spartan

Likes hunting with old leverguns.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Dear corporal cleg,

For one who takes eating as seriously as you do, I can't see how you could live with oatmeal that had been cooked some hours previously. I suggest that you prepare your meal on site. By doing so, you would also be able to use your fine tableware, and thus not upset your delicate sensibilities. The cost of a fine table setting is surely just a few hundred dollars.

Since those that take eating seriously usually take cooking seriously, I'd think that you would need to make a modest investment in a portable kitchen. While not the equivalent to the equipment found in 4 star restaurants, one must be prepared to make sacrifices. I would think that a few thousand dollars would cover the cost of this equipment. Stove, cookware, coolers etc do add up.

Of course, you'll then need a vehicle to transport this kitchen to your hunting site. Those with refined tastes would not be satisfied with any any run of the mill vehicle. I'm thinking something along the lines of an Argo 8x8. Fully outfitted, this could set you back a few tens of thousand dollars, but costs such as these are typical of the burdens one must bear, no?

At last, you'll be fully equipped to dine in the style to which you are accustomed, while out in the woods. However, there remains the difficulty of setting up the kitchen, cooking, and hunting simultaneously. There is also the noise and the scents produced while cooking. And it dawns upon me that one would also need fine music to go with ones meal. So now we're looking at several vehicles to transport a chef, musicians, roustabouts, and several soundproof and scent-proof shelters. When all is said, I now think you're looking at several hundred thousand dollars in annual costs for the equipment and needed personnel. But it's not like you can take money with you when you pass. So the price will just need to be paid. I certainly understand, and I'm sure that many here are also sympathetic to your plight. Then there is will be the eternal gratitude you will have from those you employ. A win all around.

Most sincerely,
Scott

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by corporal cleg
Originally Posted by 700LH

I enjoy eating out in the woods, and from a logistical point, I save a lot of time making my breakfast to go, as opposed to having breakfast before I leave for hunting. Breakfast often becomes gossip hour, and before you know it, the sun is on its way up, and we are just getting in the car, or in the woods. Winds up I get an extra hour of sleep-which is a lot considering I dont arrive at camp until midnight the night before hunting.
Also, my body and mind work better when I have a late breakfast 730-830)-breakfast at 500am is a bit early for me.
This past season was the first time I started eating breakfast in the woods, and it really worked out great-except when it became rifle season, and my storage container wont cut it in the colder (below 30) weather.
As far as tableware- I bring high quality silverware, a nice camo table cloth, a fine china coffee cup, and a fine linen napkin(camo of course) complete with napkin ring. I will forsake the appearance of my table and go with a food container, INSTEAD OF A FINE BOWL, because bringing a nice bowl into the woods would be somewhat impractical.

You're joking, right?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Might be time to find another hobby...

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Modern "Thermos" containers will keep stuff hot for at least half a day, or usually even overnight in the land where it gets real cold. Your container is probably broken if it doesn't work at 30 above. Get a new one.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

265 members (10gaugemag, 41rem, 348srfun, 264mag, 12344mag, 160user, 32 invisible), 1,773 guests, and 1,097 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,090
Posts18,522,048
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.