Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by baldhunter
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Originally Posted by rong
does it "reboot'our system if only taken for a week?
Seems like the issue would return.

I don't expect it to do anything long term for my arthritis problems. They're etched in stone.(bone?)

But it'll fix the stuff the Doctor gave it to me for.

I did a couple of rounds of it many years ago for some herniated discs that were causing pain in my arms and that problem never returned. So it will repair some things. But it's not going to cause my body to start regenerating new bone tissue that's been ground away by arthritis. It does seem to reduce the inflammation associated with it, however.

It's a shame there's not something out there that you could take every day for it. But there's not.

Have you tried Ibuprofen?I've been taking 600mg of Ibuprofen every 12hrs for the last three months for arthritis in both my knees.It has worked wonders for me.I'm bone on bone with arthritis in my left knee and have surgery scheduled for total replacement in a couple of weeks.My right has torn meniscus,arthritis,Baker's cyst and other multiple issues.Doctor recommends replacement for that one too.Doctors never gave me anything worth a damn for it.I had a lot of pain,swelling and poor range of motion in both.I just happened to have two 600mg that the dentist had prescribed for me when I had some dental work done.I took one and for nearly 12hrs I felt better.Took the second one and had a good night sleep,not waking up from pain during the night.The next day I went to the store and bought some.Everything is 200mg.I took one and it didn't do nothing for me.Took another later and felt a little better.Once I got 600mg,I felt a whole lot better.Couple of days later I had an appointment with my Orthopedic doctor and told him I had been taking 600mg twice a day and was doing better than I've been in months just after a couple of days.He said he would give me a prescription for it and he would write it for 800mg twice a day if I wanted a higher dose.I said just give me the 600mg,it's been working fine,if I need to I can always supplement with another 200mg if I need it.It hasn't fixed my problems,but it sure has helped with the pain,swelling,range of motion and mobility.My range of motion in my left knee was at about 50% and my right was around 75%.Now I'm about 95% in my left and 100% in my right.Pain is nearly non-existent and if I do something that causes pain.it goes away rather quickly and is not nearly as sharp as it was before either.

I'll keep it in mind. There's an area on my right knee that's bone on bone from having a torn meniscus. Most days it's okay. But sometimes it really throws a fit. The last time it acted up I thought it was a permanent situation. But it gradually got better over a months time. And actually, I've got a bottle of those big wampus Ibuprofen pills in the medicine chest that the Dentist gave me a short while ago. I didn't need them for what the Dentist did so I just stuck them back.

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by MD521
Prednisone eliminates the inflammation in your body. I doesn't cure anything and if taken for long periods at high doses the side effects can be terrible. I had to get off of it and never again.

I've had to take all kinds of medications over the years for various stuff,..some of them fairly heavy duty. In fact, the situation I'm taking the Prednisone for now is a side effect of another medication I'm taking. (for the rest of my life)

I don't usually have bad effects. This is the first time I've had a side effect from the other medication and I've been taking it for well over a year.

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Got a minor health problem and the Doctor prescribed a weeks worth of Prednisone. Two days into it and all the symptoms of the minor health problem are gone. Also, all of my standard aches and pains from my knees and rotator cuffs are gone. Lots of energy also.

Prednisone is crank for old people. Of course, like everything that makes you feel good it'll kill you if you take it very long.

I'm going to enjoy it for a week, though.

Wait till you retain water and your wife gets to ask " SEE HOW YOU LIKE IT."

Powerful stuff.

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by plumbum
Got a minor health problem and the Doctor prescribed a weeks worth of Prednisone. Two days into it and all the symptoms of the minor health problem are gone. Also, all of my standard aches and pains from my knees and rotator cuffs are gone. Lots of energy also.

Prednisone is crank for old people. Of course, like everything that makes you feel good it'll kill you if you take it very long.

Powerful stuff.

It's only for four more days. I'm not expecting any major bodily changes.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
My Dr. ask that I try to keep the Ibuprofen @ 600 mg. a day, his personal dose & he's my age. But he's not quite as beat up as Iam. I'd prefer about 600 every 8 hours.

Part of my beer consumption is due to joint pain. I used to come in from work hurting pretty bad & think, 6 advils or 6 beers... no fuqking brainer.

IC B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
It sounds like something to not need?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by wabigoon
It sounds like something to not need?

If you need it you need it. Steroids are miracle drugs for some things. But like many medications, you have to go easy with them. Even some over the counter medications will wreck you if you're not careful with them.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J

How strong a dose? If over 30 or 40 mg you may need to taper if you use it 5 or more days. Of course, you ARENT SUPPOSED to have adrenal suppression if used only a week. whistle

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by jaguartx

How strong a dose? If over 30 or 40 mg you may need to taper if you use it 5 or more days. Of course, you ARENT SUPPOSED to have adrenal suppression if used only a week. whistle

40mg a day all at once.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by jaguartx

40mg a day all at once.

Well, I'd hate to see you run out pred after 7 days and then get hit with withdrawal. If it were me I would probably drop to 30 at day 5 and have some left to continue to taper and have enough to use if you have withdrawal until you could get him to help you out if you do.

A buddy pharmacist can be nice to consult with.
Good fortune with it and what ails you

Last edited by jaguartx; 05/29/23.

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B3

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Should take the 40 in the AM when your own natural steroids production is highest, also

I Dindo Nuffin
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
I don't know. As mentioned, I took two heavy rounds of it back when I had some herniated discs and I don't recall any bad reactions when it was over.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
I don't know. As mentioned, I took two heavy rounds of it back when I had some herniated discs and I don't recall any bad reactions when it was over.
Good deal.

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Need to watch the ibuprofen, I was on 600 MG a day for my knee. Woke up one morning the pillow was bloody and when I blew my nose it filled up a paper towel. Doc said we will find something else . Now I am on acetaminophen 300 per day ,not as good but I ain't honking up blood

there is no man more free than he who has nothing left to lose --unknown--
" If it bleeds we can kill it" Conan The Barbarian
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

Yes, it's like a miracle drug, short term. You cannot take it chronically, though, as it's hard on your organs. They usually prescribe it to you in a tapering dosage, i.e., start with a high dose, and work down gradually to zero, so as to not over stress your organs.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I get an energy boost, but it doesn't really impact my sleep. My doctor says it's his favorite drug lol.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by BuckHaggard
I get an energy boost, but it doesn't really impact my sleep. My doctor says it's his favorite drug lol.
Of course. It's an easy "cure" for just about every complaint.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I have taken Prednisone for 30 years because of Addison's disease, I have had no problem with it other than it tastes like chit...

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by rusty51
I have taken Prednisone for 30 years because of Addison's disease, I have had no problem with it other than it tastes like chit...
Do you take a low dose?

For acute issues, they usually start you at 50 mg. A low dose would be like 5 or 10 mg per day. At those doses, the risk is minimal.

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by plumbum

Powerful stuff.

It's only for four more days. I'm not expecting any major bodily changes.

Weigh yourself and see. It's not permanent, you will pee it right out after you quit taking it.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (12344mag, 219DW, 222Sako, 204guy, 2500HD, 1Longbow, 66 invisible), 2,424 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,298
Posts18,487,062
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.