Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I've got an old fiberglass canoe that I've been working on "restoring." Condition is not too bad. I've filled all the dents, scrapes and gouges with Marine-Tex. The fiberglass on the outside is covered, uniformly, with very small cracks. The plan is to sand the sucker down and paint it (by hand) with a good quality Marine enamel that is very durable. I was going to use Rustoleum Professional High Performance Enamel, in Hunter Green, but they apparently don't make it in the quart size any longer.

Anyone have a recommendation for a durable marine enamel that will work for this job?

Thanks.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
If I were to paint it I would just use any brand of bottom paint for a boat. I have not been in that realm for awhile, but I built composite canoes for a year and used gelcoat quite a bit. I am not sure what would hold up the best.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image from nepal.ubuy.com]

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks fellers.

Last edited by High_Noon; 05/29/23.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
@JeffA: That Wet Edge is a Topside paint. Will that work well below the water line?

- Del Gue
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Be sure to paint it Black.

Roy

What this world needs is a few more Rednecks.

The Dildō Of Consequence Rarely Arrives Lubed

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
https://www.westmarine.com/interlux-brightside-one-part-polyurethane-paint-P004_121_002_006.html

I think this is what I used on my canoe, highly recommend.

I’ve also used this with great results: https://www.westmarine.com/sea-hawk-aluma-hawk-boat-paint-P020581112.html

As all as the duck boat paint mentioned earlier. That paint is bulletproof, but has a dry dull finish that is great for ducks but not steam lined canoes.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by High_Noon
@JeffA: That Wet Edge is a Topside paint. Will that work well below the water line?

It's all I use unless I need anti-fouling.

Ya gotta pay a premium for it but a rookie with a brush can get professional looking results.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks

- Del Gue
IC B3

pal Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
My boat's topsides were rolled and tipped using Awlgrip, which would be suitable for your canoe as well. Do not use bottom paint.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Pal: Nice boat ya got there

- Del Gue
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Hardly ever use gelcoat anymore. This stuff sticks and wears excellent and you can put pigment in it for tint.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Life is good live it while you can.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by JeffA
[quote=High_Noon]@JeffA: That Wet Edge is a Topside paint. Will that work well below the water line?

It's all I use unless I need anti-fouling.

I agree with him i use it on wooden canoes

Be reasonable. Do it my way!
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Fair enough.

- Del Gue
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I was going to use Rustoleum Professional High Performance Enamel, in Hunter Green, but they apparently don't make it in the quart size any longer.

$25 a quart

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hunter-G...Protective-Enamel-7738502-Quart/17011183

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
This is some cool stuff you guys are weighing in with!

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Someone here told me to add this stuff... tiny amount.

I did what they said and it is GREAT!!!

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/majic-catalyst-hardener-clear-half-1-2-pint

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

pal Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Pal: Nice boat ya got there

Thank you. Not bad for 40 years old.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Ditto on: Do Not Use Bottom Paint! That is ablative anti fouling stuff. Oil base polyurethane is what I used on my 60 year old sailboat restoration. That's fine for a road boat. If you have extensive cracking I would roll on a very thin coat of epoxy first. Sand and clean with lacquer thinner or acetone first. I've painted a few small road boats with good latex house paint like SW Super Paint. Lasts longer than the boat. One part marine poly like Interlux works pretty well but limited colors and pricey. If you do the epoxy be sure to wipe it down good after with lacquer thinner to remove amine blush.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (11point, 10gaugeman, 16penny, 160user, 1936M71, 10ring1, 71 invisible), 3,041 guests, and 1,307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,382
Posts18,469,582
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.