Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
CJL Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I have a 25 yr old Browning Low Wall 243 Win that has a lot of small pits from camber to crown in clumps and alone, lands and grove,(found thanks to a Bore Cam). Any ideas what caused them? It has been cleaned after every use with copper removers according directions. I am in Montana so humidity should not be a problem, besides never had rust on a cleaning patch. It shoots minute of antelope that part is OK, I just concerned that I did something wrong or just just had the luck to get a barrel with poor steel. Thanks.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
CJL;
Good afternoon, I hope that you all are having a good weekend and all who matter to you are well.

Since you're in Montana, one thing that you might encounter that we north of the medicine line also do is hunting in cold weather.

When we bring our rifles in from hunting in the cold, they can sweat and under the right circumstances, in my experience some will rust.

One rifle I recall rusting rather quickly from sweating was a Browning BBR that I hunted with for decades. As you noted it didn't affect the accuracy as far as I could tell, but it surely did bug me! grin

It seemed to me that rifles which weren't fired in cold weather, that is to say if they were clean and lightly oiled as well, they didn't rust from sweating nearly as bad as if they'd been fired and not cleaned.

Just a thought from another cold weather hunter?

All the best to you all.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Tag

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
THAT is what happens when people obsessively need to clean the copper from their barrel.

.243 and 6mm bores take a beating...not surprised.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
I've got an '06 that looks like that. My guess is it got that way after being brought in from the cold to a warm tent or house, condensation formed, and moisture did it's work. Good thing is, it's still a solid 3/4" shooter.

IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I have a Remington single shot 22 that is 90 years old by best I can tell…. inherited it in the 60’s from my grandfathers estate. When’s I got it the pitting was in the barrel then, is in the barrel now, shot little bug holes at 50 yards for me since. Nothing I can do about it except clean it after each firing and enjoy my every outing with it. I figure as long as the rifling is strong in a barrel and it shooting big holes, I won’t worry over it. I bet it was never cleaned when I got it 60 years ago.

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
What copper cleaner are you using?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've purchased and borescoped brand new rifles right out of the box that have rust pits in them. Some of these rifles sit in storage wharehouses for years sometimes or in rusty freighters on the ocean for weeks. I know of one store that it is quite common to get rifles from them with rust, they store them in a damp basement. just leaving a gun in a case in your truck for a few days freezing and thawing is all it takes to get started.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Dyna Tech Bore conditioner helps those barrels a lot

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
I have a half fast theory that tiny water droplets adhering to the interior of a barrel of a high intensity cartridge when fired, can cause a rapid and violent microscopic steam explosion, creating a pit. No real evidence on a rifle bore...but direct and incontrovertible evidence on a diesel piledriver bore. A brand new piledriver cylinder completely ruined in a week of operation in rainy weather with an inadequate air intake (pulling water droplets in with each stroke). I installed a homemade dry air intake and the new cylinder, it still worked perfectly 6 months later in still rainy weather. Just a half baked theory but there remains the fact that when water molecules flash to steam, it's 1,600 times it's original volume. When that happens in a microsecond...that IS an explosion.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I always figured it makes more sense to not use a bore scope. If the rifle shoots well, what you don’t know won’t hurt you.

Mathew 22: 37-39

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I think I can contribute here.

Scored a solid A in College Chemistry. Final paper was on Tetracyclene.....as I had acne as a young man. That antibiotic opened all sorts of doors, when it came to the young ladies.

Rust is the problem, when it comes to pitting.

Thank me later!

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
LOL

Coyotes shot no waiting.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Please tell fester we said hey!

Californians.......of a feather.

Originally Posted by GRIZZ
LOL

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Uncle fester?

Coyotes shot no waiting.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Starting to like you, GRIZZ! Don't ruin it.

Originally Posted by GRIZZ
Uncle fester?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Uncle Bob Feilder Parkersburg West By God... "Eat your beans boy"

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Coyotes shot no waiting.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Use of a Borescope has proven to be the cause of barrel rust to many. Use at your own risk.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by CJL
I have a 25 yr old Browning Low Wall 243 Win that has a lot of small pits from camber to crown in clumps and alone, lands and grove,(found thanks to a Bore Cam). Any ideas what caused them? It has been cleaned after every use with copper removers according directions. I am in Montana so humidity should not be a problem, besides never had rust on a cleaning patch. It shoots minute of antelope that part is OK, I just concerned that I did something wrong or just just had the luck to get a barrel with poor steel. Thanks.

Some "copper solvents" will pit/etch barrels if left in the bore too long, or not totally neutralized after cleaning.

As others have pointed out already, the obsession over getting every speck of "copper fouling" out of the bore has harmed plenty of barrels, whether with such solvents or over-use of abrasive cleaners--which can leave the bore looking super-smooth through a bore-scope, but often makes it copper-foul quicker, resulting in even heavier fouling.

Also, as some of have suggested, Dyna Bore-Coat helps such bore a LOT, even when far more heavily pitted. Have applied to it several older rifles with barrels where the pits were obvious to the bare eye (no bore-scope required), whether caused by inadequate cleaning after shooting black powder, or mercuric primers with smokeless powder. Such primers were common until around in hunting ammunition, and longer in "surplus" military ammo. Had a Winchester Model 1894 in .25-35, made in 1898, for quite a while--and the bore was obviously primer-pitted, so much it wouldn't shoot cast bullets. After installing DBC it shot them pretty well....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
C
CJL Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I might have left cleaning solvents in too long. I have used about all brands over time. Maybe I should have used something to remove all the solvent, other than a dry patch. Too late now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (1_deuce, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 1minute, 10gaugemag, 204guy, 62 invisible), 2,536 guests, and 1,139 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,799
Posts18,516,200
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.