Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I've thought of using Kings of England or Popes, but we shoot more does/cows than bulls/bucks and there's only been 3 queens of England--and 2 of them were named Elizabeth. And there's never been a female pope.

Movie stars? Hurricane names? Tennis grand slam winners. Actually, that might work til we get to Serena Williams and Jimmy Conners.

On appetites: "If I had to wait until I was hungry to eat, I'd never eat."
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
How about starting a Food Gack series? LOL. grin

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Game Cooking Gack: DRT on the Table?

You pay for the printing and I'm in!

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
She's just "testing the market"....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Leenie3freezers
4th_Point: Our friend Diane had run out of game meat, so John and I shared some of our butchered/frozen meat with her. She was very grateful, but didn't tell me until recently that she always felt a bit like a cannibal, given that the packages had names on them. But once she read why we do that, it made perfect sense.
For the last few years we've used Presidents and First Ladies' names but we're down to Andrew Jackson, and will have to come up with something else.

That's funny, but understandable about your friend! My kids love the Marvel Cinematic Universe, so I started with one of the characters.

IC B2

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
My copy arrived in the mail today. I’m looking forward to reading it, most particularly the section on field care and aging.
Thanks

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Would be interested in hearing your reaction!

I did a little research on the subject as a wildlife biology student at the U. of Montana many years ago, especially about "aging" meat. Passed what I knew along to Eileen after we were married--and she discovered she really liked wild game. But she has done far more research, especially about the critical first 48 hours or so.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
How about a sale on Slice of the Wild? Okay. How about for Father's Day? It's already started, and I've sent out notices to all the subscribers of Rifle Loony News. And, FYI, my Sausage Season book is also on sale, John's Life of the Hunt and Gun Gack 2, plus my Stalking the Wild Jerky. (Jerky recipes for everything you hunt, including a baloney jerky from scratch and a goose jerky seasoned with a packet of ranch dressing mix. Plus how to tell when it's done so you're not stuck with dry, crackling jerky. I've made the mistakes, and I've fixed them, and share the results. It's what cookbooks should do!
Eileen/Mrs Mule Deer

www.riflesandrecipes.com/406-521-0273

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by 4th_point
4th_Point: Our friend Diane had run out of game meat, so John and I shared some of our butchered/frozen meat with her. She was very grateful, but didn't tell me until recently that she always felt a bit like a cannibal, given that the packages had names on them. But once she read why we do that, it made perfect sense.
For the last few years we've used Presidents and First Ladies' names but we're down to Andrew Jackson, and will have to come up with something else.

That's funny, but understandable about your friend! My kids love the Marvel Cinematic Universe, so I started with one of the characters.

That's a really good idea using characters from Marvel comics. The great thing about the presidents and first ladies was that it was also a check on how long meat had been in the freezer--especially if we forgot to write the date on the package. I get kinda confused in the Jackson, Tip-A-Canoe-And-Tyler-Too period, but otherwise we both are pretty good at when each president was in office....

Actually I may just do Governors of Montana--and their first ladies.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
For lunch yesterday we had steaks from "Louisa," a big doe pronghorn I got a couple years ago, which were of course excellent. She was named after John Quincy Adams' wife, who was First Lady from 1825-29, so we are running out of those names....

John Steinbeck
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Slice of the Wild is a fantastic resource. I thought I knew everything until Eileen came along..... wink

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by 4th_point

That's a really good idea using characters from Marvel comics. The great thing about the presidents and first ladies was that it was also a check on how long meat had been in the freezer--especially if we forgot to write the date on the package. I get kinda confused in the Jackson, Tip-A-Canoe-And-Tyler-Too period, but otherwise we both are pretty good at when each president was in office....

Actually I may just do Governors of Montana--and their first ladies.

Your way is more fun and imaginative. I just stick with something like E-23 for elk in January 2023 or D-22 for deer taken in 2022. Keeps it simple for me.

Guy

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Guy,

The problem we ran into--which resulted in the "naming"--was that we often took more than one deer, pronghorn, or even elk in the same year. And the deer were usually both whitetails and mule deer.

I have taken up to nine big game animals in Montana during a single year--and once I started traveling more often took them in different states. As an example, hunted Wyoming for pronghorn and deer about every other year for quite a while, and we wanted to not only differentiate the deer by species and sex, but by where they were taken, in case the flavor/toughness was different--info Eileen found useful for her cookbooks.

John Steinbeck
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Guy,

The problem we ran into--which resulted in the "naming"--was that we often took more than one deer, pronghorn, or even elk in the same year. And the deer were usually both whitetails and mule deer.

I have taken up to nine big game animals in Montana during a single year--and once I started traveling more often took them in different states. As an example, hunted Wyoming for pronghorn and deer about every other year for quite a while, and we wanted to not only differentiate the deer by species and sex, but by where they were taken, in case the flavor/toughness was different--info Eileen found useful for her cookbooks.

Ya, I've maxed out at 4 big game animals in a year. You two put my take to shame! Though I'm not sure what I'd do with all that "extra" meat. I'm sure my oldest son would appreciate some. That young fellow loves eating wild game meat!

All the best, Guy

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
We have shared a bunch of meat with friends and relatives over the years--but have almost entirely eaten wild game since getting married 40 years ago (well, along with growing a big garden every year.) Discovered early on that 4 "deer-sized" animals a year was a minimum, and since the supply could vary from year to year, we sometimes "over-stuffed" our primary 15-cubic-foot freezer as a sort of savings account.

Eventually ended up with three 15-cubic-foot freezers, the reason for Eileen's Campfire name, Leenie3freezers. One is in the room next to the kitchen, filled with the meat (and garden stuff) from the previous year. The other two are in the basement, one for filling each fall, and the other for the "special" game Eileen selects for her game cookbooks and articles.

This system has come in handy some years, such as 2013 when our young Labrador retriever severely dislocated my right knee in early September while we were hunting Hungarian partridge. I did manage to kill one deer that year, a couple months later while gimping around. Eileen killed two--but the overall supply didn't suffer much due to the "savings" freezer, which contained the meat from a 6-point elk I got lucky on in 2012.

But hunting is part of our job. For most people it takes place during "spare" time--as it did for you before retirement. This makes a big difference. We almost never hunt on weekends, when most other folks do. Instead we can pick and choose the times and places. Which is why we've been able to hunt a LOT over the years, and not just in Montana.

John Steinbeck
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L

Last edited by Leenie3freezers; 06/10/23.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Slice of the Wild is a fantastic resource. I thought I knew everything until Eileen came along..... wink

Thanks JG. Actually my favorite part of Slice of the Wild, besides having my favorite recipes handy, is the Rogue's Gallery. One page mule deer, one whitetail, one elk, etc, and for each photo a few details on what happened with game care, how they tasted, etc. We try to do the same thing every time, as far as field care, but sometimes it's cold, sometimes warm. Sometimes we're far from home, sometimes not. Was it a drought year? Were the boys rutting? It all matters.

[img]https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/tmp/226436.jpg.thumb[/img]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Eileen- assuming you're still trying that from a PC, see if this is of any help.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...we-get-pics-from-image-gallery-to-a-post

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Quote this post to see what the text string should look like for the image.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Whttail_in_MT; 06/10/23.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Whitetail,

Thanks for the help!

But she has been having difficulty posting photos from her computer, even after talking to Rick Bin on the phone the other day (he suggested changing to Google Chrome, which she did). But it's still iffy--and she's following the directions both from Rick and me, and both work for us.

John Steinbeck
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

478 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 16gage, 257_X_50, 1Longbow, 22kHornet, 55 invisible), 2,466 guests, and 1,160 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,743
Posts18,495,111
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.