Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Being a rifle looney I find some of my friends just don't understand the obsession with all things gunnery...

Do your friends or acquaintances laugh when they see your rimfire set ups? Do they think you've gone over the deep end? I know when I show up with some of my nicer .22s with huge scopes on them for a squirrel hunt they think a lot of things, voice of few of their thoughts, then stop laughing when they see the results- be it ground squirrel kills or target grouping. In fact, several of my friends and my son have started to migrate to my style of rimfire preparedness and seem to be enjoying it...

If you are of the opinion that anything over a 3-9 scope on a rimfire is too much, this thread probably isn't for you. My favorite glass for rimfires these days is a 6-24 x 50 or somewhere in that range but a 4-16 x44 will do in a pinch... wink

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Most of my friends have transitioned from non-shooters to taking up rimfires with a passion after a few trips to the range or hills.

There are different budgets involved for sure but several of my buddies are now shooting anschutz and vudoos with the appropriate glass.

And most important they have learned proper technique and that you can’t buy tight groups

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
When I squirrel hunted more I had a leupold 6.5-20 on a 77/22

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In fooling about with such things more often in recent years, I’ve come to the conclusion that, even in a very good 22 rimfire rifle meant for the shooting of small creatures from a rested position (whether with natural or artificial support) at 200 yards or less, scope magnification seems to reach the point of diminishing returns at about 15 or 16 power. More magnification can certainly be useful in precisely identifying and defining the quarry/target, but doesn’t seem to improve the chances of hitting it, when you can see better than your rifle can shoot. In a very good 22 rimfire rifle with an appropriately talented shooter, it’s the quality of rimfire ammunition which always seems to be the limiting factor.

But, gazing upon a 22 rifle bearing an optical sight as large as the Hubble Space Telescope can certainly set some to giggling, unless they should happen to be the squirrel who’s the center of attention at the time.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]4-20x50

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]3-15x44

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]2-10x42

Every day’s an adventure.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
How often have you had to listen to the speech from someone - "nobody needs more than a 4x scope on a rimfire".... blah, blah, blah....

For target shooting I love the higher power for spotting my groups without the aid of a spotting scope. For squirrels and other game I like to be able to peek between the grass and leaves to find the hidden little suckers looking back at me- until a bullet hits that spot... you can always turn a variable scope down, but you can't turn a low fixed power up...

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Sheister
How often have you had to listen to the speech from someone - "nobody needs more than a 4x scope on a rimfire".... blah, blah, blah....

For target shooting I love the higher power for spotting my groups without the aid of a spotting scope. For squirrels and other game I like to be able to peek between the grass and leaves to find the hidden little suckers looking back at me- until a bullet hits that spot... you can always turn a variable scope down, but you can't turn a low fixed power up...
Absolutely!

Can’t turn a high fixed power down for the close stuff, either.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
If your friends shoot rifles with poor triggers, clam pack scopes, and buy whatever brand is the lowest priced ammo, more magnification is unlikely to improve their shooting skills. From what I have seen, the great majority of firearms owners don't modify their firearms to better fit their needs. Few of my friends are serious shooters, so they would never consider spending good money on after-market stocks or triggers.

My primary squirrel rifles are chambered in 17 HM2 and have 4-12x through 6-24x scopes mounted. Aim small, hit small.

My .22 rifles have a variety of scopes mounted depending of the intended purpose. A Remington 37 with a 30x Lyman Targetspot isn't a very practical woods loafing rifle, while a Ruger 10/22 with a 2-7x28 Weaver RV7 isn't a very competitive match rifle.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
…, while a Ruger 10/22 with a 2-7x28 Weaver RV7 isn't a very competitive match rifle.
Don’t go selling that combination short:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]Leupold 2-7x28 RF Special

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]5 CCI SGBs at 50 yards from that 10/22 (not uncommon performance from it, either)

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Aim small miss small

Yeah, those typewriter dots are hard to see with anything less than a twelve power.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I've got a couple buddies that don't understand my need to shoot as much as I do, rimfires and air rifles in particular.

Learning to read the wind is easiest for me with a decent scope and a 22LR or an air rifle. It's cheap fun to shoot.

The 6x mini is great for hunting but the 4.5-14 and the 6-24 are shot more often and 4-12 is usually what I have on the air rifles.

Still I hear, "you know you can hit em in the head, you can quit shooting now" ..... Nope!

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by colodog
I've got a couple buddies that don't understand my need to shoot as much as I do, rimfires and air rifles in particular.

Learning to read the wind is easiest for me with a decent scope and a 22LR or an air rifle. It's cheap fun to shoot.

The 6x mini is great for hunting but the 4.5-14 and the 6-24 are shot more often and 4-12 is usually what I have on the air rifles.

Still I hear, "you know you can hit em in the head, you can quit shooting now" ..... Nope!
The ability to communicate effectively with those who simply don’t get it, is an extraordinarily rare and extremely desirable skill. I sometimes begin to think that I may even approach having such skill. That is, until I find myself thinking of simply choking them out instead.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
And then you run into guys like my friend that shoots small enough groups with aperture sights at 200 yards...

It's all in what you want, not what someone else wants.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Exchipy
Originally Posted by colodog

The ability to communicate effectively with those who simply don’t get it, is an extraordinarily rare and extremely desirable skill. I sometimes begin to think that I may even approach having such skill. That is, until I find myself thinking of simply choking them out instead.

I find the best way to communicate with them is to give them a box of ammo and to get behind the rifle.

They’ll understand

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TWR
And then you run into guys like my friend that shoots small enough groups with aperture sights at 200 yards...
Shooting tiny groups is more about consistency of hold (and good technique), than being able to see tiny target details:

Shooting small critters at distance is more about being able to see small details in order to locate them where they hide best, and then being able to direct the shot to the precise location where it is most likely to achieve the desired result:

While these two 50 yard 5 shot groups are about the same size, the 3 MOA red dot sight required the large aiming bullseye for consistent sighting, covering all but the 7-ring and half of the 8-ring. The 4x scope clearly defined the X-ring, making for an easy head shot on a squirrel at that distance. The red dot would completely cover a squirrel’s head, and a good portion of its body too, at that distance.

An aperture sight can work remarkably well on a distant small critter, in the open, unobstructed and in decent light. Anything else requires a scope of appropriately high magnification (even if it should resemble the Hubble Space Telescope).

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Some of my friends just think it's a waste of money when I buy a new rifle or accessories. They're not anti-gun, they just don't understand the need/want for more than one or two of them. They definitely don't understand why I like to collect older/antique rifles instead of the latest greatest new age technology stuff.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Quote.

I find the best way to communicate with them is to give them a box of ammo and to get behind the rifle.

They’ll understand

I have two friends who are still taking about shooting my 201 Mauser. They could not believe the groups they were shooting with it. And that’s been about 5 years ago.
My smallest Rimfire scope is a VX 2 4x12. Hasbeen.

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Sheister
Being a rifle looney I find some of my friends just don't understand the obsession with all things gunnery...

Do your friends or acquaintances laugh when they see your rimfire set ups? Do they think you've gone over the deep end? I know when I show up with some of my nicer .22s with huge scopes on them for a squirrel hunt they think a lot of things, voice of few of their thoughts, then stop laughing when they see the results- be it ground squirrel kills or target grouping. In fact, several of my friends and my son have started to migrate to my style of rimfire preparedness and seem to be enjoying it...

If you are of the opinion that anything over a 3-9 scope on a rimfire is too much, this thread probably isn't for you. My favorite glass for rimfires these days is a 6-24 x 50 or somewhere in that range but a 4-16 x44 will do in a pinch... wink

Bob

sheister ol buddy. You've been to my club in WA. You know most of those guys use big scopes on their rimfires. We shoot at small targets most times. Those same big scopes even work well in the head to head competitions we have there. From KYL and golf balls and paint balls to paper, the big scopes work just fine. For a while I was using a 6-18 on my single shot target rifle there. Now a Burris AR 556 4.5-14x44 on my 10-22 will suffice. An old Weaver T16 on my 17 HMR for chits and giggles and at one time, I even ran the Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56 (that I sold to Cert here), on my 10-22. I did get some comments on that one for sure. Something to the affect of, "sure you are going to pull out the big dog $2,000.00 rifle scope to beat us now"!!! My response was, well I can get my $100 bushnell 6-18x40 that's on my single shot, if you prefer? That guy did not know what to think. Talk about being flustered. Him, not me...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Exchipy
Originally Posted by TWR
Shooting tiny groups is more about consistency of hold (and good technique), than being able to see tiny target details:

Shooting small critters at distance is more about being able to see small details in order to locate them where they hide best, and then being able to direct the shot to the precise location where it is most likely to achieve the desired result:

While these two 50 yard 5 shot groups are about the same size, the 3 MOA red dot sight required the large aiming bullseye for consistent sighting, covering all but the 7-ring and half of the 8-ring. The 4x scope clearly defined the X-ring, making for an easy head shot on a squirrel at that distance. The red dot would completely cover a squirrel’s head, and a good portion of its body too, at that distance.

An aperture sight can work remarkably well on a distant small critter, in the open, unobstructed and in decent light. Anything else requires a scope of appropriately high magnification (even if it should resemble the Hubble Space Telescope).

Aperture sights are great. I love them for shooting at appropriate sized bulls on paper. Shooting at small vermin is not their strong suit.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by JediWing19
Some of my friends just think it's a waste of money when I buy a new rifle or accessories. They're not anti-gun, they just don't understand the need/want for more than one or two of them. They definitely don't understand why I like to collect older/antique rifles instead of the latest greatest new age technology stuff.

Join the club..

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
As some here understand me, I'm old school. I love precision shooting but have committed myself to doing it while exploring the world of vintage rifles. (Don't sell the old timers short - of course the results that guys were getting 100 years ago don't come close to to what we've come to expect today. But, it wasn't because of inferior equipment or lack of skill, it was the ammo they were saddled with. Top shelf .22 match ammo accuracy back then could be exceeded by the mediocre stuff we shoot today. Therein lies the rub - put a box of Eley Tenex, RWS R-50, or Lapua Midas through a 90 year old top tier target rifle such as a Stevens Walnut Hill, Martini Model 12, or Winchester 52, and prepare to have your eyes opened. Back then they thought they were king sh*t if they could manage a half-inch at 50 yards, but take the same gun today and you can expect 1/4".)

That said, I wouldn't laugh at somebody if they showed up with a racy chassis rifle with a magnificent Hubble telescope mounted on it but I would laugh at myself if I fell prey to such stuff!

I revel in the astonishment exhibited by "The Great Unwashed Masses" at the range who dance around crowing about their Wonder Rifles when they stop to look at the targets I produce with "old timey guns" with "old timey target scopes", which more often than not put their rigs to utter shame. Of course some of that may be the Indian and not the arrow.....

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

185 members (1_deuce, 30Gibbs, 300_savage, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 23 invisible), 1,744 guests, and 1,019 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,747
Posts18,495,204
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.