Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
pete53 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
i have some Hornet rifles i rechambered with my reamer to K-Hornet none of these 4 rifles have barrels over 18 inches and all shoot decent . i just purchased a older used Ruger 77 laminated s.s. Hornet rifle and had it rechamber to another K-Hornet the barrel is 24 inches long and this rifle does not shoot well . is it possible that the barrel is too long for that little amount of powder used in a Hornet or a K-Hornet. i plan on having it cut off to 18 inches and recrowned to see if that will help it shoot better , i already had the trigger redone to 3 lbs. thanks,Pete53

Last edited by pete53; 06/01/23.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
Did you shoot .22 Hornet ammo through it before reaming to the K Hornet chamber? If so, how accurate. I have a K Hornet in a Contender carbine barrel and in a 10 inch pistol barrel. Both are very accurate.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I doubt it’s barrel length. Could be other issues though with the barrel. Didn’t Ruger have issues with needing the bolt shimmed to improve 22 Hornet accuracy?

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How old 77? Before 1990?
I’m not a Ruger expert, but I understand the barrels before 1990 were hit and miss.
The only thing that could help on accuracy by cutting the barrel shorter, IMO, is if the end of the barrel is not right.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have a k-hornet martini action remington target barrel , at least 24" shoots great, even when fire forming brass.

IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I seriously doubt the length of the barrel is the problem in and of itself.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by ruffcutt
I doubt it’s barrel length. Could be other issues though with the barrel. Didn’t Ruger have issues with needing the bolt shimmed to improve 22 Hornet accuracy?

They did. I had an early 77 in Hornet, accuracy was piss poor . Sold it before the "bolt shim fix" was discovered.

https://triggershims.com/ruger_m77.php

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Why on earth would barrel length have an influence in this instance?? Where did you get the idea about needing to cut 6" off of it? Curious minds want to know!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Those ruger hornets sometimes need a little help to shoot well.

Pressure points on the barrel and bedding would be the first place I looked

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Barrel length won’t affect the accuracy for all practical purposes.

What have you done to improve accuracy? Have you tried different bullets or powders?

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
While the barrel itself can affect accuracy in any rifle, the "worst" .22 Hornet barrel I've owned would still group 5 shots in an inch at 100 yards.

The primary influence in .22 Hornet accuracy I've found, whether the standard or K-Hornet, is runout of the seated bullets. Short bullets in those little cases seem to be more susceptible to this. Have you measured the concentricity of the bullets in the loaded rounds?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
That's been one on my observations also, John. I dropped back to square one and started using an old Vickerman seating die, with a self-made shell holder extension to get the small case up into the die. I also made a custom sliding piston to snugly guide .223" bullets (and with a countersink, for lack of a better term, more attuned to the Hornet shoulder), but it doesn't seem to improve over the standard .224" piston. The die does improve precision/straightness, as measured with a Sinclair tool, and resulting groups are better on average.

Been contemplating having LE Wilson make me a traditional straightline seater for the Hornet for use in the arbor press. That, or just be done with it and shoot more!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by LeonHitchcox
Did you shoot .22 Hornet ammo through it before reaming to the K Hornet chamber? If so, how accurate. I have a K Hornet in a Contender carbine barrel and in a 10 inch pistol barrel. Both are very accurate.

Yes, how did it shoot as a plain 22 Hornet????

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Might check the crown?

I've got the same rifle with the 24" barrel, and mine shoots great!

Virgil B.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have owned two of those Ruger 77/22 Hornets. The action Ruger used is a repurposed 22 rimfire action with a two piece bolt. This does nothing for accuracy. I had a gunsmith work mine over and add the shim between the bolt halves. That helped matters.

NRA Endowment Life Member, G.O.A supporter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My brother had a Ruger 77/22 Hornet that shot ~ 6 MOA - no matter what was done to accurize it. A friend/gunsmith had a 77/22 Hornet that was very accurate. That gunsmith was going to re-barrel I think to 17 Hornet, and blue print that rifle, The gunsmith and my brother traded and my brother ended up with a very accurate 22 Hornet. I never heard what happened to the gunsmith's Hornet.

This may have been when Ruger was out sourcing the barrels? It was quite while ago.

I'm not sure when the OP's rifle was built.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Probably a combination of errors. Considering the design of the Hornet, it's never going to be Benchrest cart. But, lordy,lordy, did I have fun years ago riding the dirt backroads in rural Virginia shooting Groundhogs with a break action Hornet, H & R best I remember. "crack..smack", piled up. My T/C Contender 21 " factory barrel shoots lights out with correct handloads !!

"not too grumpy"
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Bugger
My brother had a Ruger 77/22 Hornet that shot ~ 6 MOA - no matter what was done to accurize it. A friend/gunsmith had a 77/22 Hornet that was very accurate. That gunsmith was going to re-barrel I think to 17 Hornet, and blue print that rifle, The gunsmith and my brother traded and my brother ended up with a very accurate 22 Hornet. I never heard what happened to the gunsmith's Hornet.

This may have been when Ruger was out sourcing the barrels? It was quite while ago.

I'm not sure when the OP's rifle was built.

Same with the one I had. Bought mine in the mid 90s, I believe Ruger started making their own barrels in '91.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Which is why my Hornet is actually a Fireball.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
P
pete53 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
i did shoot this 22-K-Hornet before i cut this barrel off it did not group well 2 inch at 100 yards maybe more ,the crown was poor too. the ammo i used works well in my other Ruger 77 22 K-Hornet but it is the newer version that came with a 18 inch barrel. i just picked the action/barrel up today it is now 18 inches with a real nice sharp cut crown , the reason 18 inch is better than 24 inch is because i have a bird feeder 40 yards from the garage window where this rifle hangs in a gun rack and its easier to sneak the rifle out the window when barrel is shorter if i gotta shoot a critter. yes i tried a 22 LR its worthless on critters unless you get a prefect shot , 22 mag works ok but a 22 K-Hornet kills critters much better out to 150 yards. living in the country its the perfect yard gun to get rid of these dang yard critters ,my garden is 110 yards from house and so on. where i live woodchucks,crows ,raccoons ,possum ,fox ,wild cats and some other critters seem to think they can move right in , my bird feeder has fencer wire all over it with the fencer on all year long bears ,raccoons and wild cats have wrecked many of my feeders till i put wire and turned the fencer on , even my garden has white horse tape electric wire 4 strands up to 6 feet to keep deer and hopefully turkeys out too.

Last edited by pete53; 06/02/23.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

686 members (007FJ, 163bc, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 160user, 83 invisible), 2,418 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,721
Posts18,494,661
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.