-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Come mid-June 2027, I am GTFO California. Alaska has been the dream for literally decades now, and was a contributing factor to leaving a marriage.

One of the things I’ll be needing to deal with is critters. Given two livestock guardian dogs, are they going to attract bear attention, or dissuade it? Moose too, perhaps more importantly? Is there such a thing as Alaska proof fencing? Are sheep kept up in AK? Is there an Alaskan based livestock forum out there, that can be recommended?

P.S. I’m telling everyone that if you ever hear me say “ well, that’s not how we did it back in California “ , you have free license to pop me in the nose. The last thing I care about is how they o it in California….

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Scott_Thornley
Is there such a thing as Alaska proof fencing?

If there was Alaskans would have already installed it on their borders to keep the California's out.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JeffA

If there was Alaskans would have already installed it on their borders to keep the California's out.

The Murkowskis and Begitches are PRK transplants? Man, I’m awful sorry ‘bout that, Alaskans.

At least Maryland sent Nancy P. to the PRK, and not to Anchorage. Alaskans dodged a bullet there…

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What are you planning on doing for a living in Alaska ?
Thankfully it’s not like anyplace in the lower 48 so you might want to discuss your plans with some folks who have made it up here

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

The Murkowskis and Begitches are PRK transplants? Man, I’m awful sorry ‘bout that, Alaskans.

At least Maryland sent Nancy P. to the PRK, and not to Anchorage. Alaskans dodged a bullet there…
Negative on the Murki-CA connection. He was born in Seattle but moved to SE AK as a kid. Liiiiiiiiisa was born and raised here. Does not change the fact I am no fan.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Come mid-June 2027, I am GTFO California. Alaska has been the dream for literally decades now, and was a contributing factor to leaving a marriage.

One of the things I’ll be needing to deal with is critters. Given two livestock guardian dogs, are they going to attract bear attention, or dissuade it? Moose too, perhaps more importantly? Is there such a thing as Alaska proof fencing? Are sheep kept up in AK? Is there an Alaskan based livestock forum out there, that can be recommended?

P.S. I’m telling everyone that if you ever hear me say “ well, that’s not how we did it back in California “ , you have free license to pop me in the nose. The last thing I care about is how they o it in California….
Why not raise local exotics like reindeer?

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

I wouldn't worry much about the dogs now. They could die before you move to Alaska in 2027.
True fact, not being morbid.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Negative on the Murki-CA connection. He was born in Seattle but moved to SE AK as a kid. Liiiiiiiiisa was born and raised here. Does not change the fact I am no fan.
I despise the BEB.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Anyone who has lived in Alaska for long realize that most people “Escaping” to Alaska tend to bring their problems with them.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by 458Win
Anyone who has lived in Alaska for long realize that most people “Escaping” to Alaska tend to bring their problems with them.

People=Problems. The more people=The more problems.

I was a cultural refugee from California half a century ago. The 1960's in California was insanity........I thought. They look like Heaven compared to today. I'm thankful that most of them are fleeing to Texas, Florida, Idaho, Nevada, and Arizona. We'll get some, but if the weather continues to get wetter and colder, and if our California-like political class blow the Permanent Fund like drunken sailors, we'll see fewer of them.

A major or widening global war(s) in Eurasia is looking increasingly likely. If there is anything that will cause an explosion of growth and change in Alaska, that's it. I'm thinking that I might yet see it, too........

NRA Life Endowment Member
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by 458Win

…and those that have lived in Alaska for long also came from those states they now eschew.

The one thing I won’t tolerate is a non-native resident giving other non-native residents sh.it! I’m happy to remind them of their ignorant hypocrisy…

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
And then there are, as a Montana rancher friend calls them, regular 'cleansing winters'. It's those 'extra special' deep and cold winters that helps the new arrivals decide if they really, really want to live in Montana...

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Everybody's from somewhere. This state could use more Scott Thornleys from what I can tell.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by cwh2
Everybody's from somewhere. This state could use more Scott Thornleys from what I can tell.
I am a 65 year resident and immigrant escapee from Wyoming. I certainly approve of this quoted message 😎

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
One of my favorite tunes is by an artist that both Art and I liked:

“I’m Not from Here, I Just Live Here”

Phil, ( if you don’t mind my calling you by your given name), I am definitely escaping. I am escaping some of the most draconian gun laws in the nation. I am escaping the nation’s largest taxation rates. I am escaping a State that wants to insert itself into as much of people’s lives as it possibly can. What I hope to escape to, is the exact opposite side of the spectrum, and to do my part to preserve that condition. I am also retired, with a reasonable passive income that would afford me a decent life in AK.

Art,

I didn’t think of reindeer. I’m still a down south MF. In fact, just thinking of my “love” for goats makes me wonder if you were serious or tongue in cheek. If serious I will check it out.

Snowwolfe,

As I was tapping away, one of those dogs snagged my Smith sunglasses and started chewing on them. So yeah, survival of at least one isn’t guaranteed 🤣 But realistically, with the predators around here, you can’t keep herbivores without some sort of guardian animals, and I’m not fond of donkeys or emus. So there will be a couple guardian dogs in four years, unless their lives would be better living in the lower 48. Good, proven LGDs find homes no problem, but I’d rather keep them if that is a good option for them.

I promise the only real problem I bring is a fondness for small lattes with an extra shot, and a good portion of that fondness is usually the scenery.

Scott

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Got friends that raise reindeer.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Interesting history on raising reindeer up here. It used to be a big deal to ride a train and eat reindeer steaks while doing so. White money moved into raising them. The beef lobby got a bill passed to prevent the white man from ruining the Native livelihood.

White guy near Bodenburg Butte, Tom Williams, started raising them and was told at several levels to stop. He appealed all the way to SCOTUS and won finally.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
One of my favorite tunes is by an artist that both Art and I liked:

“I’m Not from Here, I Just Live Here”

Phil, ( if you don’t mind my calling you by your given name), I am definitely escaping. I am escaping some of the most draconian gun laws in the nation. I am escaping the nation’s largest taxation rates. I am escaping a State that wants to insert itself into as much of people’s lives as it possibly can. What I hope to escape to, is the exact opposite side of the spectrum, and to do my part to preserve that condition. I am also retired, with a reasonable passive income that would afford me a decent life in AK.

Art,

I didn’t think of reindeer. I’m still a down south MF. In fact, just thinking of my “love” for goats makes me wonder if you were serious or tongue in cheek. If serious I will check it out.

Snowwolfe,

As I was tapping away, one of those dogs snagged my Smith sunglasses and started chewing on them. So yeah, survival of at least one isn’t guaranteed 🤣 But realistically, with the predators around here, you can’t keep herbivores without some sort of guardian animals, and I’m not fond of donkeys or emus. So there will be a couple guardian dogs in four years, unless their lives would be better living in the lower 48. Good, proven LGDs find homes no problem, but I’d rather keep them if that is a good option for them.

I promise the only real problem I bring is a fondness for small lattes with an extra shot, and a good portion of that fondness is usually the scenery.

Scott

Since you mentioned it...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

510 members (1badf350, 21, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1Longbow, 43 invisible), 2,145 guests, and 1,134 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,764
Posts18,476,641
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.