Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 14 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 13 14
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 4th_point
I used trail runners for the first time on a summer backpack scouting trip last year. It was awesome. For the actual hunt, I wore what I used to think of as my lightweight hikers. Those are Lowa Renegades. I think that I could have just used the trail runners for the hunt though.

I used to wear Kennetrek mountain boots for archery and rifle season. Then started using the Renegades for archery. Now I don't even own a heavy mountain boot. I've been using the Renegades in the snow.

Less boot is working for me, but I think it's taken some time for my feet to adapt. I think wearing Croc-type flips did something weird to one of my feet. Since I ditched those cushy sandal things my foot seems a lot better.

Not too off topic, but I just bought another trail runner for myself. I liked the first pair so much that I wanted another. And got trail runners for my two kids instead of boots. We went with Topo, Altra, and Hoka. A lot of money for what amounts to sneakers! But total cost was less than a decent pair of hunting boots.

My only complaint with my first trail runner was that it allowed fine dust through the mesh. Our new shoes should be much better at that. I did get some debris through the top but didn't have gaiters on. I may look into the lightweight gaiters.

Last edited by 4th_point; 06/04/23.
GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by mtwarden
Originally Posted by Garandimal
Would be surprised if they lasted a month.

GR

I usually get ~ 700 miles out of my trail runners, about 3 pairs/year- that's on varied single track trails with usually some 20-30 mile trips to bag various peaks. The tread still looks fairly decent, but the midsole components eventually start to breakdown. When you really notice it is when you switch to a new pair and you're like ahhhhh laugh

Trail runners aren't the answer for every trip, but they are the answer for a lot of trips.

A recent 32 mile day through heavy rain, light wet snow, rock, mud, snow, a [bleep] ton of fords and wrestling with a lot of blowdown. This would not be the trip you'd want heavy leather boots, they'd be soaked within minutes, would then weigh even more and not be dry for days.

[Linked Image from imgur.com]

If you haven't tried them, pretty tough to speculate how they are going to work for you. You just might be in for a surprise

Are you making any footwear or sock changes for these crossings or just wear the same shoes and socks for everything for the day?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
Interesting discussion despite the unnecessary sniping. It confirms that boots are a personal choice and what works for you may not work for others. Like many realize, you can put up with a lot of subpar equipment on a hunt, but "bad" boots could end a hunt.

Or just require you to take a day or two off or cut down your mileage. Not so with through-hikers, bad shoes will end a through hike, period.

I don't get the sniping either. This ain't a contest.

smokepole;
Good Sunday morning to you my cyber friend, I hope the upcoming week looks to be lined out and headed out properly for you.

It has been an interesting discussion for sure, for me at least and I'll extend thanks to all who've added their personal take on the subject.

Way and I do mean WAY back in the mid '80's my wife and I along with some friends did some backpacking runs up onto the Kokanee Glacier which is straight north of the Washington and Idaho border in the Kootenay range as well as up to the Cathedrals which is about half way between the Chopaka and Skagit. The Kootenays were tougher or better said steeper, with the Cathedral run still more rounded in most spots than it is over towards the Skagit country - which is northish of the Picket Range mentioned here.

Anyways we had on whatever heavy boots we used to buy back then and looking back we might have been much better served with lighter footwear as we were on trails for the most part other than the wet areas.

Whenever I've tried on lighter weight footwear such as Jeff was showing, it's felt like they'd be fine under some conditions alright, but so far I've resisted.

Now I am cognizant that Brad packs out elk and having not done that but have packed/dragged a moose out solo, I do have at least a distant understanding of what the feet might be facing.

When we were younger, full of vim, vinegar and a tad crazy, we backpacked mulie bucks from some truly ugly places. On a couple of those runs I found the necessity of having boots that laced way down on the toes for me, as I beat up said toes pretty thoroughly before we reached the pickup.

Last fall when my good friend pulled the LEH ram tag - think the odds were 350:1 for me this year, but yes I did put in since I think I can still do it if drawn - we beat the mountain behind the house flat, putting in more rough country time than either of us had in the previous 20 years. I must admit that I did feel extremely blessed to be able to be in the same spots on the day I turned 60 that I'd travelled decades previously.

He ended up killing a ram 31 years and 2 days after I'd taken one off the same mountain, as close as I could figure within less than a kilometer from where mine came out in two trips on my back. His died further down into the canyons and not up on edge of the big timber, so it was silly steep with a lot of loose dry areas which made footing less than great.

We'd split up when we'd gone in so his young nephew and I might see the rams from the opposite side of the canyon and direct them from the other side. When he shot, we of course had to gumboot back up to the head of the canyon where we'd split up and then go down to find him. As we're heading down, his nephew - think he's in his late 20's, said to me something like, "For the love of God Dwayne, you've got to find a better way out of here than this!". laugh

As it turned out smokepole, we came down the best/easiest way. cry

Anyways in that sort of a mess I was happy to have boots which I could really tighten up extra well before we headed back up and out.

It's those sort of scenarios - that and the shin tangle blowdown jungle where the whitetail, moose and elk seem to love to hang out - that always affect my decision making when it comes to footwear.

Thanks again for the discussion to one and all. All the best in the upcoming week.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mod7rem
Are you making any footwear or sock changes for these crossings or just wear the same shoes and socks for everything for the day?

No changes- just charging through, the number of fords crossing the Bob in May is staggering and the trails are very often running water in them as well. No possible way to keep footwear dry.

I do insure that at a midday break (and usually supper along the trail) I take my wet shoes/socks off and let them air for the 30 minutes or so we're stopping. Also at night I make sure my feet are bone dry, apply a foot balm (Hydropel) and put on dry socks for sleep.

The majority of the trails look similar to this

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
Your religion is being an idiot

Whether boots, shooting, etc....your way is not only antiquated it's azz backwards

Gone and hurt your li'l feelings.

Poor... Thing.

Field boots... are.

Light weight field boots are even better.

And, Marksmanship is a Skill.

You may find that out some day, little one.

GR

Ah yes field boots and leather slings lol. Your idea of marksmanship is hitting the broadside of a barn at 100yds......

I bet you're hell on wheels at the local army surplus rathole...

Your butt-hurt is monumental, little one.

And cotton slings are a better choice.

Lighter weight, faster drying, and infinitely adjustable.

If you ever grow up and become interested in Marksmanship, you may find that useful.

GR

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have 0.0 complaints RE: light weight field boots.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Hike and hunt hundreds of miles a year in them.

Mountains to swamps.

The OP is: Lightweight vs heavy boots?

A more accurate title would be: "Tennisbootsthings Cult and Grooming"

So ya know.

GR

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

No changes- just charging through, the number of fords crossing the Bob in May is staggering and the trails are very often running water in them as well. No possible way to keep footwear dry.

I do insure that at a midday break (and usually supper along the trail) I take my wet shoes/socks off and let them air for the 30 minutes or so we're stopping. Also at night I make sure my feet are bone dry, apply a foot balm (Hydropel) and put on dry socks for sleep.

That was the Gila in a nutshell, then once we got further north, into the snow, that was the 3 days crossing San Pedro Parks Wilderness.

The Gila was over 180 crossings in about 4 days. The deepest fast crossing was bellybutton deep (on me) and frankly scared the F outta me- there was a rapids with a strainer just below. After I got across Cyn said, yeah that’s not gonna work for me! so we figured out a way for her to do some minor cliff scrambling to get to a better spot (which obviously I could’ve done too).

San Pedro was so wet I don’t think I can describe it in a way folks other than MT will believe or understand. A massive spring snowmelt is bonkers to be in the middle of. There would be running water… UNDER the snow that you’d posthole into. Every wrinkle was a creek, every depression a swamp, every meadow an adventure of icy water and freezing muck, every creek a small river, and if there’s been any actual rivers they would’ve likely stopped us. Plus we crossed during a storm cycle and got hailed, rained, sleeted,, and snowed on all with fierce winds and lightning.

As pertains to this thread in both cases anything leather (or goretex) would be a disaster.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I used trail runners for the first time on a summer backpack scouting trip last year. It was awesome. For the actual hunt, I wore what I used to think of as my lightweight hikers. Those are Lowa Renegades. I think that I could have just used the trail runners for the hunt though.

I used to wear Kennetrek mountain boots for archery and rifle season. Then started using the Renegades for archery. Now I don't even own a heavy mountain boot. I've been using the Renegades in the snow.

Less boot is working for me, but I think it's taken some time for my feet to adapt. I think wearing Croc-type flips did something weird to one of my feet. Since I ditched those cushy sandal things my foot seems a lot better.

Not too off topic, but I just bought another trail runner for myself. I liked the first pair so much that I wanted another. And got trail runners for my two kids instead of boots. We went with Topo, Altra, and Hoka. A lot of money for what amounts to sneakers! But total cost was less than a decent pair of hunting boots.

My only complaint with my first trail runner was that it allowed fine dust through the mesh. Our new shoes should be much better at that. I did get some debris through the top but didn't have gaiters on. I may look into the lightweight gaiters.

It’s great that you tried them. Your experience is pretty much universal IME. If you try they, you will switch.

My Salomons let lots of fine NM grit through the top mesh. While Cyn’s Altra’s were better in that regard, her socks and feet were still pretty much equally filthy by the end of each day.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe
Hey fatso...girlieman...

The ONLY trails you've been up are soft, gentle trails for your feminine capacities. You act like Whitney is K2 or something, typical of urban braggarts.

You couldn't get up the approach to any peaks of the Picket Range so, get back to your pizza and shut your trap.

Or try...at your weight, fill out your toe tag so that we can ID your bag of feathers.

Lol… you don’t like losing, do you? And yet you do so much of it.

But you got me with “fatso”. I’m packing at least 3-4 lbs of extra me around.

Let’s see a pic of YOU! Or would that get into more, y’know, losing?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Couple pics of me as a young buck. If you still want to tell me about approaches I can’t do, I’m all ears.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Garandanimal is gay and all but didn't you get powned by a ladder?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Raferman

Your boyfriend told you to say that.

Good for you.

Hike in ballerina slippers if you want to.

Good boots... are.

Light weight boots are even better.

GR

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Good for you.

Good boots... are.

GR
Sure thing happy camper.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Good for you.

Good boots... are.

GR
Sure thing happy camper.

Light weight field boots.

That's why they were recommended.

Sure your ballerina slippers suit you just fine.

Enjoy them.

GR

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Good for you.

Good boots... are.

GR
Sure thing happy camper.

Haha.

Connect the dots…

Markmanship…. HC’s story of shooting the 10 shots in a bullseye, open sight, as a kid.

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Jeff_O

That was the Gila in a nutshell, then once we got further north, into the snow, that was the 3 days crossing San Pedro Parks Wilderness.

The Gila was over 180 crossings in about 4 days. The deepest fast crossing was bellybutton deep (on me) and frankly scared the F outta me- there was a rapids with a strainer just below. After I got across Cyn said, yeah that’s not gonna work for me! so we figured out a way for her to do some minor cliff scrambling to get to a better spot (which obviously I could’ve done too).

San Pedro was so wet I don’t think I can describe it in a way folks other than MT will believe or understand. A massive spring snowmelt is bonkers to be in the middle of. There would be running water… UNDER the snow that you’d posthole into. Every wrinkle was a creek, every depression a swamp, every meadow an adventure of icy water and freezing muck, every creek a small river, and if there’s been any actual rivers they would’ve likely stopped us. Plus we crossed during a storm cycle and got hailed, rained, sleeted,, and snowed on all with fierce winds and lightning.

As pertains to this thread in both cases anything leather (or goretex) would be a disaster.

What type of socks are you guys using? I use merino wool but maybe a synthetic material would be better for drying out.

When I’m sheep hunting I will wear my trail shoes for crossing creeks with no socks and then change back into boots. But if I have a lot of crossings to do I will just leave the trail shoes on.
My starting pack weight for a sheep hunt is 65-70 lbs and I’m comfortable using my shoes on a decent trail, but I think I’d be uncomfortable in rough terrain carrying a heavy pack, but I’m definitely open to trying them more in different situations.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What they call that...Kodacolor, Kodachrome?

Show us the pictures of you squatting...peeing.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jeff_O

What type of socks are you guys using? I use merino wool but maybe a synthetic material would be better for drying out.

When I’m sheep hunting I will wear my trail shoes for crossing creeks with no socks and then change back into boots. But if I have a lot of crossings to do I will just leave the trail shoes on.
My starting pack weight for a sheep hunt is 65-70 lbs and I’m comfortable using my shoes on a decent trail, but I think I’d be uncomfortable in rough terrain carrying a heavy pack, but I’m definitely open to trying them more in different situations.

My sock game was not great and could use improvement. Started with Wright 2-layer socks to hopefully mitigate blisters, and thin REI socks. I was still using the Wright socks in the Gila canyon and beyond (so at about 350 miles) but they were pretty used up by then. They are a consumable…. The REI brand light socks, don’t remember the exact description, are good socks, but I’m sure there’s better. And then I had a pair of slightly heavier REI socks I was using for sleep socks, until I had to press them into regular duty as other things wore out. Had 3 fresh pairs in the Grants resupply box, which was nice. If I was doing the trip over I’d have had more fresh socks in my various resupply boxes, don’t know why I was being miserly as they are mission critical. One thing about NM- no water. So no washing socks in the creek, because there’s no creek. At some times our socks were flat filthy, for days on end. There was nothing to be done about it.

As to wet feet my takeaway was that I had no idea that it was possible to do big miles day after day after in wet shoes…. but you can. I would’ve thought it would make “bad things” happen to my feet, but it didn’t. You get used to squelching along.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe
What they call that...Kodacolor, Kodachrome?

Show us the pictures of you squatting...peeing.

Is it just me, or has the quality of troll really gone to [bleep] around here?

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
@mod7rem Darn Tough socks, probably 15 years now of using them exclusively- shorter ones for trail runners, longer ones with boots.

I'll be doing the same thing on my upcoming sheep hunt, light trail runners for fording streams/camp shoes, boots for everything else. With a 60# pack and lots of steep rocky stuff, boots are the only way to go- add in lots of sidehilling and then it becomes a no brainer. I'm in trail runners ~ 9 months out of the year, but the three months that coincide with big game hunting, it's boots smile

Page 8 of 14 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12344mag, 160user, 1936M71, 67 invisible), 2,519 guests, and 1,359 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,949
Posts18,480,378
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.