Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
What was the difference before firing?

I'd want to know, too. Where is the trimmed material coming from? Excess neck lengths of unfired rounds? Short case necks are not a big deal. 32 thou over max length might be.

Or is it base to datum stretch? I'd plunk a sample of unfired ammo in the case gauge.

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
You would think cases that are in the 1.790 + length would be into the lands/ raising pressures

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by steveredd1
You would think cases that are in the 1.790 + length would be into the lands/ raising pressures

Unless the pre-fired case length wasn't into the lands. If the base to datum line dimension is very short the stretch will occur on firing. Fired case length before sizing will probably be OK.

Case gauging/case length measurements of both unfired rounds and un-sized fired cases would help sort things out.

Last edited by Sam_H; 06/04/23.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
If this is range pick up stuff
It could be reman
I know black hills used to load LC brass as reman ammo and was some cheaper than new stuff

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Sam_H
That's excessive. What year on headstamp?

2021/ newer batch

I don't think anyone has mentioned it yet, but those would be manufactured since Winchester took over the
Arsenal from Federal. Don't know if that matters or not, you'd think the feds would have the same quality requirements no matter who is the contractor. Personally I have only found a few 21 - 23 dated cases when I have cleaned up after myself at the range, I'm saving them back to test separately when I get 20 or so. Everything gets checked every loading for length and trimmed if necessary anyway. I've always found LC to be good brass after the initial prep and well worth the effort. As always YMMV.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I get a lot of mileage out of Lake City brass....a lot of it with over 40 reloads and counting...

I usually am not pushing its pressures to the extreme... and I use it in bolt actions... single shooting it..

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
That's excessive. What year on headstamp?

2021/ newer batch

I recently picked up 250 pieces of this same brass from a local guy who doesn't reload. I have found the same variances. Made me wonder about QC on the Winchester run lines, too.

I'm going to FL size them, trim them to a consistent length and shoot them.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The 223 LC stamped brass is shorter than the standard LC w/date brass.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by 79S
The 223 LC stamped brass is shorter than the standard LC w/date brass.

There like Federal brass

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
What was the difference before firing?

I'd want to know, too. Where is the trimmed material coming from? Excess neck lengths of unfired rounds? Short case necks are not a big deal. 32 thou over max length might be.

Or is it base to datum stretch? I'd plunk a sample of unfired ammo in the case gauge.

I don't think this is super common, but there are AR "builders" out there who put together barrels without the proper gauges. I would think excess headspace would cause the "datum stretch" you referred to. Brass case length of 1.790" would make me do some measurements and I don't think I would bother with trying to use casings where the shoulder had moved .020" or so. Could end up with casehead separation.

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

429 members (19rabbit52, 160user, 1Longbow, 163bc, 1lesfox, 06hunter59, 38 invisible), 2,772 guests, and 1,144 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,654
Posts18,533,853
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.