Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I was at Cabela's yesterday. I went looking for rifle primers, but they were all out.

I was looking through the powders and noticed they had Ramshot TAC and Hunter. They followed me home. This is my first time out with Ramshot. Truth is, I've been living a rather sheltered life these past 20 years, buying only Hodgdon.

I've been wading through the load data, including various Gun Gack tomes. My head is spinning. I thought I would cut to the heart of the matter and ask my adoptive crazy uncles on this august forum. What do you use these powders for? What works? What doesn't?

I'm currently loading in these chamberings:

.223 REM
25-06 REM
7mm-08 REM
308 WIN
30-06
8X57 Mauser
35 Whelen

In regards to 8X57, I see no load data for this in the Ramshot data. Any ideas on finding a starting load? Ramshot says Hunter is close to 4350, but how close?

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Hunter is just a bit faster than H4350. I like it in 7mm-08 and ‘06.

"Keep your mouth shut, work hard. Life is tough. Work through it.” -- Stetson Bennett, Quarterback, Georgia Bulldogs
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Hunter is actually slower burning than h4350. Maybe you’re thinking of ram shot big game. Hunter is great in the 30-06 with heavier bullets. 180 and up in my experience

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
TAC is a great powder in my 308 Win's.I load it one grain less than Varget in those rifles for about the same velocity.Hunter works great in my 30-06's.It seems to be right about the same burnrate as IMR4831.I don't know how the velocities compare,but my load data with Hunter closely matches IMR4831 book loads with like bullet weights in several cartridges I load it in.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by BertaBoy
Hunter is actually slower burning than h4350. Maybe you’re thinking of ram shot big game. Hunter is great in the 30-06 with heavier bullets. 180 and up in my experience

This. Big Game replaces the 4350's (sort of) and Hunter replaces the 4831's (sort of). I have used both with success.

There is data for 8x57 using Big Game & TAC at Hodgdon's online site:

https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/reloading-data-center?rdc=true&type=54

Use the site to make quick decisions as to which to use in each cartridge.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
My source.

"Keep your mouth shut, work hard. Life is tough. Work through it.” -- Stetson Bennett, Quarterback, Georgia Bulldogs
shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael

This. Big Game replaces the 4350's (sort of) and Hunter replaces the 4831's (sort of). I have used both with success.

There is data for 8x57 using Big Game & TAC at Hodgdon's online site:

https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/reloading-data-center?rdc=true&type=54

Use the site to make quick decisions as to which to use in each cartridge.

I coulda sworn. . . Oh well, I'm glad I asked.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
In the 308, I use TAC with the 130-grain TTSX at just shy of 3,100 fps and with the 168-grain Hornady Match Boat Tail just shy of 2,700 fps. It topped out with a couple of 180s around 2,550 so I save them for the 30-06 now.

I use Hunter in the 30-06 with 180 TTSX at 2,700 fps. I could probably push that one a little more. It also works with a 168 TTSX at 2,930 fps.

I used TAC in the 35 Whelen with a 225-grain Game King at just shy of 2,700 fps.

Don't use them for reduced loads--they need high pressures for best performance, but they'll be fast and accurate. Use magnum primers. Hodgdon has data.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I have no experience with Tac. Hunter is very accurate in a 257 Robts Montana and 120 TTSXs. Big Game does very well in a 7-08 Montana and a 7-08 Classic Select, both pushing 140 TTSXs. Sorry I can't be more help with the chambers on your list.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
IC B3

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by mrchongo
Hunter is just a bit faster than H4350. I like it in 7mm-08 and ‘06.

Hunter is slower than 4350. 64 grains of Hunter, 215 primers with 168 TTSX gives me 2950 FPS with 1/2 MOA accuracy out of my Kimber Classic Select

Last edited by jwp475; 06/05/23.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I've had very good results with TAC in 223.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by shaman
I was at Cabela's yesterday. I went looking for rifle primers, but they were all out.

I was looking through the powders and noticed they had Ramshot TAC and Hunter. They followed me home. This is my first time out with Ramshot. Truth is, I've been living a rather sheltered life these past 20 years, buying only Hodgdon.

I've been wading through the load data, including various Gun Gack tomes. My head is spinning. I thought I would cut to the heart of the matter and ask my adoptive crazy uncles on this august forum. What do you use these powders for? What works? What doesn't?

I'm currently loading in these chamberings:

.223 REM
25-06 REM
7mm-08 REM
308 WIN
30-06
8X57 Mauser
35 Whelen

In regards to 8X57, I see no load data for this in the Ramshot data. Any ideas on finding a starting load? Ramshot says Hunter is close to 4350, but how close?

Realy "sheltered" huh shaman? There have been a ton of threads here on Ramshot powders. Like you, a lot of us have used good ol H for a long time, but there for a while they could not keep up with demand, then good ol H raised their prices, as to gouge the hell out of us (the loyal consumers). So, many of us strayed over to a more affordable and attainable option: Ramshot... Also, there are much better stores out there that sell powder. Cabela's prices are high. Try Scheels, if you have one available to you. Hell, a local Ace hardware store sells powder. And at damn good deals, I might add.

With this being said, most of us have downloaded the Western powder data online for free. It lists just about every cartridge, and what Ramshot powder works in. On your list of cartridges, here's what I've used:

1. 223: TAC, X-terminator,
3. 7mm-08: Hunter, Big Game
4. 308w: TAC, X-terminator, Big Game
5. 30-06: Hunter, Big Game

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Since Hodgdon now handles Ramshot and Accurate powders they also show some load data for those powders on their website too.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Swifty
shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Realy "sheltered" huh shaman? There have been a ton of threads here on Ramshot powders.

You know, for all the threads on TAC and Hunter I've seen, the major message I got was "This is good stuff. You should try it." I didn't really think about it much beyond that, and frankly, I didn't think much about it until I got home and opened the bag.

I've written several times about Sporting Goods in general being a lot like bass lures. You drag something past an outdoorsman enough times, and he'll strike at it. He may swallow it or spit it out, or just chuck it on the shelf with the other bits of detritus. He's not really that much more sophisticated than the largemouth bass in that regard.

Truth is, I've been stuck on the Hodgdon reloading site since it first came online (about 2003 iirc) Yes, it does have Ramshot powders now, but they're somewhat segregated due to different bullet choices. I've also been fairly limited in my powder choices. I normally start with H4895 or Universal -- I'm a real powder shut-in. I really haven't had to exercise that part of my brain in 20 years. I haven't really had to think about powder since adding H4831 to the larder about a decade ago. The Chemo put a dent in the noggin' as well. I'm finding little dings and divots whenever I stray too far off the path. Luckily, I'm retired; I can't imagine what I'd be like as a network engineer anymore. As it is, it's kind of fun to find the occasional bit of wilted lettuce in the brain salad and then find a workaround.

That's how this thread got started. Rather than trust what may be attenuated powers of logic and reason, I'm throwing it out there to process in the 24hourcampfire hive-mind. I've learned to trust what comes back. I know I won't blow my face off. Besides that, it makes for pleasant conversation.

Reloading, btw, has become a major part of my rehabilitation. Once formal OT and PT ended at New Year's, I exercised enough to be able to get up and down the stairs to the Shamanic Secret Underground Reloading Facility. Once there, I could putter my way to better health and stamina. I've loaded more in the past 3 months than at any other time in my life. The OT chick wanted me to practice picking up pennies. Instead, I pick up 223 bullets and put them on top of brass-- much more fun. Exercise bands? Screw that! I knocked the queer out of a hundred rounds of 270 WIN brass turning it into 25-06. Reloading IS a partial cure for neuropathy.

Y'all have given me at least one hint that I'm going to pursue: A 223 REM/TAC load -- I'm still looking for the ideal accuracy load. That's an ongoing thing. I'm still wondering what to do with the lb of Hunter. So many of my loads are currently well off MAX. My 308 WIN is downloaded to 300 Savage
My 35 Whelen load is like a hot 35 Remington. I just don't need all the shock and awe to kill whitetails. I'm sure something is going to ring the gong here soon. Hunter looks like a good powder.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Realy "sheltered" huh shaman? There have been a ton of threads here on Ramshot powders.

You know, for all the threads on TAC and Hunter I've seen, the major message I got was "This is good stuff. You should try it." I didn't really think about it much beyond that, and frankly, I didn't think much about it until I got home and opened the bag.

I've written several times about Sporting Goods in general being a lot like bass lures. You drag something past an outdoorsman enough times, and he'll strike at it. He may swallow it or spit it out, or just chuck it on the shelf with the other bits of detritus. He's not really that much more sophisticated than the largemouth bass in that regard.

Truth is, I've been stuck on the Hodgdon reloading site since it first came online (about 2003 iirc) Yes, it does have Ramshot powders now, but they're somewhat segregated due to different bullet choices. I've also been fairly limited in my powder choices. I normally start with H4895 or Universal -- I'm a real powder shut-in. I really haven't had to exercise that part of my brain in 20 years. I haven't really had to think about powder since adding H4831 to the larder about a decade ago. The Chemo put a dent in the noggin' as well. I'm finding little dings and divots whenever I stray too far off the path. Luckily, I'm retired; I can't imagine what I'd be like as a network engineer anymore. As it is, it's kind of fun to find the occasional bit of wilted lettuce in the brain salad and then find a workaround.

That's how this thread got started. Rather than trust what may be attenuated powers of logic and reason, I'm throwing it out there to process in the 24hourcampfire hive-mind. I've learned to trust what comes back. I know I won't blow my face off. Besides that, it makes for pleasant conversation.

Reloading, btw, has become a major part of my rehabilitation. Once formal OT and PT ended at New Year's, I exercised enough to be able to get up and down the stairs to the Shamanic Secret Underground Reloading Facility. Once there, I could putter my way to better health and stamina. I've loaded more in the past 3 months than at any other time in my life. The OT chick wanted me to practice picking up pennies. Instead, I pick up 223 bullets and put them on top of brass-- much more fun. Exercise bands? Screw that! I knocked the queer out of a hundred rounds of 270 WIN brass turning it into 25-06. Reloading IS a partial cure for neuropathy.

Y'all have given me at least one hint that I'm going to pursue: A 223 REM/TAC load -- I'm still looking for the ideal accuracy load. That's an ongoing thing. I'm still wondering what to do with the lb of Hunter. So many of my loads are currently well off MAX. My 308 WIN is downloaded to 300 Savage
My 35 Whelen load is like a hot 35 Remington. I just don't need all the shock and awe to kill whitetails. I'm sure something is going to ring the gong here soon. Hunter looks like a good powder.

shaman, it's all pretty good powder from what I've seen. If you can find some X-terminator, try it as well in the 223 rem. Especially with 75's or 77's. That link swifty gave on Western powders is the one I mentioned earlier. I think a lot of us have downloaded that and use it. There is some great info in that one.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here are a couple that shoot good for me.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
[quote]Realy "sheltered" huh shaman? There have been a ton of threads here on Ramshot powders.

This post made me sad happy and laugh all at once. Glad you have reloading therapy and a great sense of humour.

shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
This post made me sad happy and laugh all at once. Glad you have reloading therapy and a great sense of humour.

Oh, it's all good-- nothing to regret here. A year ago, I had lost all my hair and still had half the treatments ahead of me. What I got left with was a bit less than I expected going in, but it still beats the alternative.

Mentally, I have to use a calculator a bit more than before, and I found I've forgotten names of people. I've also got some holes in my memory that lead to interesting challenges like this one:

Pan Lube: A Detective Story

It's not like I'm a drooling idiot and voting Democrat.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (10ring1, 1badf350, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 06hunter59, 59 invisible), 2,205 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,010
Posts18,500,198
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.