Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
E
OP Offline
E
Hello Everyone!

New member here - found my way after doing some internet research on my newly inherited Winchester Model 70.
This rifle was my grandfathers, who lived and hunted around Tulsa, Oklahoma. I'm new to hunting, and this is my first rifle.

I'm hoping to share some pictures, learn a little more about it's history, and draw on the knowledge of the experts here to maintain the rifle responsibly, and pursue some upgrades where appropriate. My ultimate goal is to use the rifle this fall (I live in Maine) in pursuit of my first whitetail.

Included below is a link to a recently created image gallery. Please let me know if there is a better way to include images in the thread.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/18477557#Post18477557

Last edited by ExLibris; 06/05/23.
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
That is a sweet rifle. Missing the front hood, but that is common. You can buy those on ebay for $25.00. Your grandfather kept it in excellent condition. Looks like he rarely hunted it. This is like the perfect "first rifle" and cartridge for a new hunter. The 243 is a sweetheart and does not punish your shoulder, while it will definitely put down deer and even elk. I'd be proud to own that piece of history.

In your post, you say you may "upgrade" it. The only thing that may need to be changed out is the optics. But if what is on it works, use it as is for now and learn the rifle. If it zeros, holds zero, and is not fogged up, just use it. It looks good and is vintage the way it is. Later down the road, you can upgrade, but be careful because not everything is going to be an upgrade. Meaning, please don't put a Vortex or Tasco on that cool old rifle. When you go to chose your upgrade, choose wisely. Mounts included in that as well. Get something that is going to compliment the rifle and suit your needs, while also gaining optical clarity and dependability. Thanks for sharing your beautiful fwt!!

As for your question about posting pics, I use IMGUR. It is free and works very well on this site. Also, welcome to the fire!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Fantastic. Thanks for sharing.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
(OP’s rifle)

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Beautiful rifle. Looks barely used. Maybe you can change that.

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
If you're hunting the big woods by still hunting, leave the front sight hood off, even if you replace it.

That SOB will snag anything it can get ahold of.

Great rifle. 👍

“Factio democratica delenda est"
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
That's a keeper spend some range time learning the rifle and what ammo it likes, just looking at the picture I wouldn't change anything. Good Luck Rio7

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
in my opinion I wouldn't change a thing, except maybe the scope. any upgrades will lower the value of the rifle often by a substantial amount because its no longer original. Talk to collectors before you do anything but shoot it.

E
OP Offline
E
Thank you all who have taken the time to look at the pictures and leave a message. The more I learn about this rifle, and hear from you all, the more special it feels. Needless to say, I'm very pleased to have it.

When I said "upgrade" I was mostly thinking about switching the scope and mounts to something a more contemporary. There's a Bausch and Lomb Balvar 8 on there now. I will follow the advice of BSA and others though, and leave it while I get aquatinted with the rifle. Hoping to make it to the range next weekend. The other "upgrade" I was thinking about was a new recoil pad. I've admired some of the red ones I've seen here. Maybe it's not necessary for a lower recoil caliber like .243.

It's unclear the last time this rifle was fired - it's been in storage untouched for 8 years at least. I'd like to start my ownership of it with a good cleaning, and any kind of protective oiling it might want.

Can anyone recommend a best practice cleaning/maintenance regime for a rifle thats been sitting dormant for so long? Or point me towards a good resource on this topic? I want to start things off right with this one.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Exlibris: Good for you on the great inheritance!
Enjoy that classic and classy Rifle.
And welcome to the fire!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
welcome to the best spot on the campfire and congrats on your wonderful rifle, hope you get the chance to make many memories with it.
Lots of good M70 folks here.

IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by ExLibris
Thank you all who have taken the time to look at the pictures and leave a message. The more I learn about this rifle, and hear from you all, the more special it feels. Needless to say, I'm very pleased to have it.

When I said "upgrade" I was mostly thinking about switching the scope and mounts to something a more contemporary. There's a Bausch and Lomb Balvar 8 on there now. I will follow the advice of BSA and others though, and leave it while I get aquatinted with the rifle. Hoping to make it to the range next weekend. The other "upgrade" I was thinking about was a new recoil pad. I've admired some of the red ones I've seen here. Maybe it's not necessary for a lower recoil caliber like .243.

It's unclear the last time this rifle was fired - it's been in storage untouched for 8 years at least. I'd like to start my ownership of it with a good cleaning, and any kind of protective oiling it might want.

Can anyone recommend a best practice cleaning/maintenance regime for a rifle thats been sitting dormant for so long? Or point me towards a good resource on this topic? I want to start things off right with this one.

Congratulations on a wonderful rifle with family history even better. Your rifle you can do what you want but putting a recoil pad on that rifle would drop the value tremendously. If you feel like you want a recoil pad limb saver and pachmyr both make a slip on which work well and won’t devalue your firearm. I use a slip on limbsaver on my 30-06.

As far as cleaning I like to stick with the jag type with a cleaning rod. Remove the bolt and clean from back to the front. The jag type just push the cleaning patch through and they drop off. You can damage muzzle if you clean from the muzzle end. I prefer the nylon bristle brushes to the metal ones and I just use break free clp.

I typically ultrasonic clean the whole bolt when I get a new to me rifle and then put in a bowl of rubbing alcohol to displace all the water then re-oil. Sure makes them run smooth but not necessary just starting out.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ExLibris

Your rifle is very original. I would not devalue it by putting a red pachmayr or any other recoil pad on it. In order to make the length of pull right for most people, you need to cut a little off of the stock when you put a thicker recoil pad on it. Thus greatly reducing the value of the rifle. Shoot it the way it is, and I guarantee you'll like it. The 243 has very mild recoil and you really don't need a thicker pad on there.

You are correct about your scope. A Bausch and Lomb Balvar, which used to be very desirable back in the day. Similar to the Stith Bear Cub Kollmorgen scope that had no internal adjustment. Your scope uses the mounts to make adjustments and get zeroed in. Like I was saying earlier, I'd leave it as is, if the system and scope function as it should and the glass is still clear. When/If you ever decide you want to upgrade your scope and mounts, let us know and we can let you know what works very well for a vintage rifle like yours. I know the older gloss Leupolds look right at home on these rifles. There are many of us that use them. Some of us have had issues with some Leupold rifle scopes, so we may be a little leery of them at times, but if you find a good one, they are great. I recently put a nice older Vari-X IIc 3-9X40 on a 1953 std wt 270 and it's working very well and looks great. Leupold dual dovetail rings and bases are my favorite, but sometimes I'll run steel weaver style bases and Burris Zee rings. They look pretty sleek and are very strong. A great combination for these old rifles.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Super neat rifle, congrats. I would not change a thing either. Enjoy!

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I could use that scope and bases.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

521 members (160user, 06hunter59, 1Longbow, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 59 invisible), 2,701 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,238
Posts18,485,775
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.