Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
John,
Have you tried R16?
R

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Garandimal
Originally Posted by Riflehunter
A b.c. of .465 for a 150 .277 is crap. The 150 SuperBulldozer has a b.c. of .710. Even their 140 has a b.c. of .650.

The NP is a good bullet with reasonable BC.

The GS is a good Cup-n-Core with a modest BC.

... and the venison and pork taste the same.

For 600 yards, the fast-twist 150 and 165 ABLR looks promising, but then, getting closer is the challenge, not the shot.

GR
I am unclear how much hunting you actually do, but it's often the case that you can not get closer to the game without significantly increasing the risk of being seen or simply that getting closer will result in a worse angle or an unclear shot at the game. With the hogs, because of their poor eyesight you can often get closer if the wind is right, but deer, antelope and sheep are a different proposition.

Hut a lot - just not from a portable bench, or on my belly from a mat with a bipod.

Making excuses for poor fieldcraft does not mean someone else couldn't get closer.

And, on a very rare occasion, a shot is passed up.

Hunting is like that.

GR
Well, it seems you know everything there is to know about stalking, marksmanship, ballistics, cartridges and rifles.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
A b.c. of .465 for a 150 .277 is crap. The 150 SuperBulldozer has a b.c. of .710. Even their 140 has a b.c. of .650.

For 600 yards, the fast-twist 150 and 165 ABLR looks promising, but then, getting closer is the challenge, not the shot.

GR
I am unclear how much hunting you actually do, but it's often the case that you can not get closer to the game without significantly increasing the risk of being seen or simply that getting closer will result in a worse angle or an unclear shot at the game. With the hogs, because of their poor eyesight you can often get closer if the wind is right, but deer, antelope and sheep are a different proposition.

Hut a lot - just not from a portable bench, or on my belly from a mat with a bipod.

Making excuses for poor fieldcraft does not mean someone else couldn't get closer.

Hunting is like that.

GR
Well, it seems you know everything there is to know about stalking, marksmanship, ballistics, cartridges and rifles.
You might say garandanimal is a regular, happy camper.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by RinB
John,
Have you tried R16?
R

Yes, but only with 130 and 140-grain bullets, in a Mossberg Patriot rifle, which had a 22" barrel. It worked really well with the 130 Nosler E-Tip, with groups well under an inch at right around 3100 fps. With Nosler 140 AccuBonds it grouped around an inch, at a little over 3000.

Basically RL-16 is about like IMR4350 in burn-rate, but double-based and very temp-resistant, with a decoppering agent. Have had the best luck with it in moderate-capacity 6.5s like the .260 Remington and 6.5 Creedmoor.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
John,
Thanks for educating my regarding R16.

Would you be kind enough to do the same with regard to Ramshot HUNTER? I know nothing about it.

As always, thanking you,
Rick

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
John,

Would you be kind enough to do the same with regard to Ramshot HUNTER? I know nothing about it.

As always, thanking you,
Rick

I shoot 64 grains of Hunter behind the 168 TTSX ahead of 215 primer in my Kimber Classic Select for 2950 FPS and 1/2 MOA accuracy

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
jwp475

What cartridge? A 30-06? This is a discussion about powders in a 270.

Or is there a 168 in .277?

Last edited by RinB; 06/05/23.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
jwp475

What cartridge? A 30-06? This is a discussion about powders in a 270.

Or is there a 168 in .277?

My bad, it is a 30-06.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
John,
Have you tried R16?
R

Yes, but only with 130 and 140-grain bullets, in a Mossberg Patriot rifle, which had a 22" barrel. It worked really well with the 130 Nosler E-Tip, with groups well under an inch at right around 3100 fps. With Nosler 140 AccuBonds it grouped around an inch, at a little over 3000.

Basically RL-16 is about like IMR4350 in burn-rate, but double-based and very temp-resistant, with a decoppering agent. Have had the best luck with it in moderate-capacity 6.5s like the .260 Remington and 6.5 Creedmoor.

After using the 4831s for a half century, I thought I'd try the RL16 as I had a lot of it. It's now my go-to powder for my 270s and the 130TTSX or 129 LRX.......very tight groups ad velocity in 3100s out of my Mountain Ascent.
It's worked very well on a moose, a caribou and a wolf. The LRX sheds it's petals easily at very close ranges but the slug went end to end on a bull caribou.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by VernAK
John,
Have you tried R16?
R

After using the 4831s for a half century, I thought I'd try the RL16 as I had a lot of it. It's now my go-to powder for my 270s and the 130TTSX or 129 LRX.......very tight groups ad velocity in 3100s out of my Mountain Ascent.
It's worked very well on a moose, a caribou and a wolf. The LRX sheds it's petals easily at very close ranges but the slug went end to end on a bull caribou.

Perfect, I've been looking for a good 270 load....problem is RL16 is very hard to find.

HMM-161, HMM-364
Semper Fi Brothers
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
John,

As always, thanking you,
Rick

Hunter is an excellent powder in the .270, with a burn-rate about like RL-19 but more temp-resistant. But with 150s Ramshot Magnum also works very well, and is even more temp-resistant than Hunter.

John

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by Remington280
Originally Posted by VernAK
John,
Have you tried R16?
R

Perfect, I've been looking for a good 270 load....problem is RL16 is very hard to find.

Yep, that can be one of the problems with Alliant powders. I just checked Internet availability of RL-16. A bunch of sites list it, but most are ones I've never dealt with before. They may be legit, but apparently this latest "shortage" has brought some sketchy ones out.

The one I've dealt with before that shows it in stock is MidwayUSA--at a price of $339 for an 8-pounder, which is all they list in stock.

And that's before adding shipping and hazmat. One of the "new" sites listed 8-pounders in stock for $265--which makes me suspicious.

John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
John
I've noticed those suspicious sites as well...I'll stay away from.

HMM-161, HMM-364
Semper Fi Brothers
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
This thread has been quite timely for me. Bought an inexpensive savage 110 end of April. Just bought some 140 Barnes so will be working on a load for moose........Alaska Moose. Any suggestions? Obviously the cheap 110 is a 270 win. I had a 270, another inexpensive 110, years ago and did tip over, literally, at least 1 moose.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by martentrapper
This thread has been quite timely for me. Bought an inexpensive savage 110 end of April. Just bought some 140 Barnes so will be working on a load for moose........Alaska Moose. Any suggestions? Obviously the cheap 110 is a 270 win. I had a 270, another inexpensive 110, years ago and did tip over, literally, at least 1 moose.
I run H4831sc with the 140's for just over 3000 fps. Go to the Hodgdon site for suggested starting loads to suggested max load.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
John,

As always, thanking you,
Rick

Hunter is an excellent powder in the .270, with a burn-rate about like RL-19 but more temp-resistant. But with 150s Ramshot Magnum also works very well, and is even more temp-resistant than Hunter.

John

Good intel. I’ll be trying Magnum.

Semper Fi
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Raferman

GR

Hunting is like that.

GR
You might say garandanimal is a regular, happy camper.

Boyfriend tell you to say that too?

Good for you.

GR

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

GR

Hunting is like that.

GR

All have been around for a long time, if one bothers to learn.

GR

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Staball hd interests me with 150gr bullets in the 270. Looks similar density / burn rate to magpro or magnum but even more temp stable. Not tried it but see staball 6.5 works good with 130s/140s but maybe a tad fast for 150s

Lou

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have appreciated this thread quite a bit. I own several .270's and the info is super helpful.

I have used RL-26 to great results in my .270's but I probably won't be working up loads with Alliant powders in the future. Virtually every Accurate/Ramshot/Hodgdon/IMR/Winchester powder is or has been on the shelf for me somewhere in SD in the last 12 mos. I've seen barely any Alliant powder at all. Im going in a different direction I think.

I guess I'm just grateful to have this knowledge to help me over my Alliant problem

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (01Foreman400, 2003and2013, 1234, 160user, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 57 invisible), 2,425 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,465
Posts18,489,854
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.