J
jwp475 Online Sleepy OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Ulysses Grant or Andrew Jackson

I say Jackson

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Agreed

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Dual what? Learn to spell! Jackson beat another congress critter with his cane, so I'd bet on him in a street fight. I grew up on former Hermitage property about three miles from his Tennessee home.

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
J
jwp475 Online Sleepy OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
Dual what? Learn to spell! Jackson beat another congress critter with his cane, so I'd bet on him in a street fight. I grew up on former Hermitage property about three miles from his Tennessee home.

So you know that it is "Duel" well bully for you

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Well spelling does matter. Jackson.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Ol' Hickory

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Godzilla coulda kicked both their a$$es, at the same time.

Otherwise, Jackson fought a number of duels, Grant none, so the nod goes to Jackson.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Experience is everything..

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
J
jwp475 Online Sleepy OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Old Hickory was involved in many duels (up to 103 in his lifetime)

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
This what they say about Jackson

Andrew Jackson was born on the border of North and South Carolina in 1767. Though a young boy during the Revolution, he acted as a courier and witnessed the Battle of Hobkirk’s Hill as a British prisoner of war. While in captivity Jackson suffered greatly, nearly starving, contracting smallpox, and being slashed by a British officer for refusing to clean his boots. His older brother died of heatstroke at the Battle of Stono Ferry, his younger brother after his release from British activity from smallpox in British and his mother died of cholera after nursing American prisoners in Charleston Harbor. By age 14, Jackson was an orphan, with a thorough hatred for the British. After the Revolution, he began a legal and political career in Tennessee, serving in the House once Tennessee became a state. He returned to military service as a Major General Tennessee Militia during the Creek War, part of the War of 1812, commanding at the Battles of Talladega, Emuckfaw (Enotachopo Creek), and Horseshoe Bend, accepting the Creek surrender in August of 1814. Following this, he assumed command of New Orleans with the rank of General. At the Battle of New Orleans in January of 1815, he soundly defeated the British. After the War of 1812, Jackson served in the First Seminole War, invading Spanish Florida and forcing a peace treaty. Because of his national recognition and military record, he was nominated for the Presidency in 1822 and elected Senator again in 1824. Jackson won the hotly contested election of 1828, defeating John Quincy Adams, to become the 7th President of the United States, serving two terms until 1837. After his Presidency, Jackson returned to his plantation, Hermitage, dying in 1845.

This is what they say about Grant

Born Hiram Ulysses Grant, in Point Pleasant, Ohio, the future commander’s name was changed due to a clerical error upon his arrival at the United States Military Academy at West Point. To his friends, however, he was known simply as Sam, since Grant’s newfound initials suggested the phrase “Uncle Sam” to this patriotic cohort. Although he graduated 21st out of 39 in the class of 1843, indicating a mediocre stint as a cadet, Grant excelled in several areas, notably mathematics and horsemanship; he set an equestrian high-jump record that lasted for a quarter century.

Although naturally suited to the cavalry, Grant received a commission as quartermaster in an infantry unit. During the Mexican War he received two citations for gallantry and one for meritorious conduct while fighting in a number of battles, notably Monterrey, Molino del Rey and Chapultepec. When the fighting stopped in 1848, Grant married Julia Boggs Dent, and their first son was born two years later. When she was eight months pregnant with their second son, Grant was ordered to Fort Vancouver in the Oregon Territory and forced to leave his young family behind. The isolation was difficult for Grant and, in 1854, shortly after being promoted to become one of only 50 captains on active duty, he abruptly resigned his commission; his intemperance had grown so pronounced that it was his only option save court martial.

Grant and his family moved to St. Louis, Mo., but he did not take well to civilian life, failing in a series of professional pursuits from farming to bill collector. In 1860, the Grants moved to Galena, Ill., where he took a position as a clerk in his father’s leather goods store and tannery. When the Civil War began in 1861, he jumped at the chance to volunteer for military service in the Union Army. His first command was as the colonel of the 21st Illinois Infantry, but he was quickly promoted to brigadier general and, in September, was given command of the District of Southeast Missouri.

Now back in his element, Grant led his first offensive against Belmont, Mo., in November 1861. While the Union force was initially victorious, the green troops were ultimately pushed back by Confederate reinforcements. Still, however, rumors of excessive alcohol consumption plagued Grant, even following his successes at Forts Henry and Donelson, prompting his jealous superior, Maj. Gen. Henry Halleck, to temporarily suspend him from field command. But his reputation as a man of action was cemented, despite the 18–20 cigars he had begun to habitually smoke each day. After the Battle of Shiloh, when more rumors of drinking cause speculation on Grant’s fitness to command, President Lincoln responded simply, saying, “I cannot spare this man; he fights.”

Jackson sounds like he was pretty rugged.

JWP you can misspell at my campfire anytime.

IC B3

J
jwp475 Online Sleepy OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Appreciate that

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Jackson.

But there’s a fair chance Grant would have burned his house down (with Jackson in it) the night before it was scheduled to take place.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
J
jwp475 Online Sleepy OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by deflave
Jackson.

But there’s a fair chance Grant would have burned his house down (with Jackson in it) the night before it was scheduled to take place.

LOL

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Jackson was the man, unafraid and determined. As J B Books said in The Shootist, you must be willing! Jackson was willing.

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Yup.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by scottishkat
After the Battle of Shiloh, when more rumors of drinking cause speculation on Grant’s fitness to command, President Lincoln responded simply, saying, “I cannot spare this man; he fights.”

Alternatively ”Find out what kind of whiskey he drinks and give it to all my generals”

Interesting to note that Jackson, just like his protege Sam Houston, was vehemently opposed to secession . We know Houston’s position, what Jackson woulda done in ‘61 is open for debate.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BMT

Yup.

BMT

On what basis?

Crockett on the other hand related a sad anecdote from when he was serving under Jackson in the Creek War….

They set fire to a house containing a number of Creek men, women and children, shooting them if they tried to escape. The next morning they were so hungry they ate potatoes from the cellar of that house, cooked in the fire and basted in human fat.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
‘Nother interesting thing about Jackson…. born in 1767, he was 45 years old before holding any sort of military command, in the Creek War (1812). The guy was a prodigy, up from penniless orphan to being the most powerful man in America, a whole era in our history is named after him.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Originally Posted by BMT

Yup.

BMT

On what basis?

Crockett on the other hand related a sad anecdote from when he was serving under Jackson in the Creek War….

They set fire to a house containing a number of Creek men, women and children, shooting them if they tried to escape. The next morning they were so hungry they ate potatoes from the cellar of that house, cooked in the fire and basted in human fat.

Good stuff.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Jackson.

Your Probly right lol👍

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (16penny, 1234, 160user, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 58 invisible), 1,885 guests, and 1,190 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,884
Posts18,497,822
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.